• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AT THE FRONT US NAVY CAPS WW2 9.99 ON SALE

Bombing IP

navy-baseball-cap-main.jpg
WWII Navy Baseball Caps
$9.99

Reg. $29.99

Nice repro of the wool caps issued to Navy aviation personnel, jacked up via a total tard move. The factory neglected to steam the sweatbands and form them- so the bands look like crap when new. Get the caps wet and wear them until it dries and it's fixed- but we don't have time to run around here drying caps on our heads.

https://www.atthefrontshop.com/category_s/12.htm

BIP

Last edited:

Cocker

Just ordered one. Can't go wrong for 10USD, and if it looks and fits right, might be a good cheap basis for a custom!

dmar836

Yet again just another modern cap with modern crown and bill shape but made of wool. Don’t know what is so hard about this stuff unless companies are simply specifying wool material and thinking that’s all that made a 1940s cap look how it did?
Am I the only one?

B-Man2

The frontal part and the bill are very different and probably a little more period correct than the ATF version.

Cocker

Worst case scenario, this is a low priced modern wool and leather hat, good enough to me! I'm sometimes wearing modern baseball hat, this one looks like a good alternative.

dmar836

Yeah, not trying to make this about me and mine. I would far prefer this ATF cap to most. And for a great price. I just notice the deep crown and large bill a lot on “vintage” repro caps.
Do post some pics when they arrive.
Dave

zoomer

The typical ATF customer probably wears a modern ball cap every day of his life, and prefers that style. If Rollin is not educating as he does on the meaning of "khaki," he may know his clientele better than we do.

Cocker

Received mine today. Apart from the leather band issue (as advised), the cap is top notch, except that... It's freakin' huge! ATF advised it tends to run a bit large, but this is by no means "a bit", it's at least a 7 3/4 inseatd of a 7 1/2. Seen it's wool and leather, should I try to drop it in hot water to shrink it a bit?

B-Man2

Received mine today. Apart from the leather band issue (as advised), the cap is top notch, except that... It's freakin' huge! ATF advised it tends to run a bit large, but this is by no means "a bit", it's at least a 7 3/4 inseatd of a 7 1/2. Seen it's wool and leather, should I try to drop it in hot water to shrink it a bit?
I purchased 2 of them at the 7 3/4 size. Fortunately ( or unfortunately) I have a watermelon for a head and they fit me fine.
I think I would just wear them on a rainy day first and see how they dry before I went with the ole standby HWT. Post a picture maybe it doesn’t look as bad as you think.

dmar836

Thanks for following up. I don't think you could hurt it by going overboard unless it has a cardboard bill inside(It's way big IMO). Modern caps, even repros, seam to have that very hard plastic bill so... Not trying to poo-poo on B-Man2's advice but I wouldn't think you would get much shrink creeping up on it. Shrinking can be cumulative but I have found clothing to become somewhat resistant to additional shrinking after being shrunk at all(common sense I suppose) or even once carefully washed a few times so I only sneak up on it if I really don't want it to shrink at all - cold water soaks with air drying, etc. Jeans seam to stretch out when worn then shrink every wash then stretch out again. By the time you wonder if they are permanently set your waist size has gone up as well so...
Am I the only one?
Dave

Garylafortuna

Cocker, Try firing up your tea kettle and steaming it using demineralized water. I once took a wool cap to a dry cleaners to have it shrunk a little and that is what they did.

Cocker

Points taken, folks! I think I'll just go for it, soak it in warm water, and let it dry on a foam head my size. Worst case scenario, I'd have wasted 10 bucks.

It's really too bad, because appart from that, it's really great. The wool is soft, very nicely stitched too.