• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Assistance with this A2

Tony Ward

The vertigris on the collar understud say's the jacket is an original. That's a given. This is no repro

The best way to tell how long a patch has been in place is to see close ups of the lining showing the outline in the back stitching. Age here is hard to fake.

The only patch I wouldn't totally dismiss out of hand is the 23rd, that said the close up makes it look too new, yet the work isn't typical of repro and a couple of things are done in the local manner. On the other hand there is little or no wear or roll to the edges which suggests maybe a previously unused original patch added (much) later?
Whatever, only the name tag looks as if it might have been there since the 1940s, but bearing in mind the more recent additions to the jacket I would take that with a pinch of salt subject to see the back stitch....especially if the name tag is the only form of provenance

Pics as requested in the underlined sentence above would go a long towards proving or disproving but it looks like a "Shotgun Wedding" to me

Thank you for the information. Will try and get those photos this evening

Tony Ward

The vertigris on the collar understud say's the jacket is an original. That's a given. This is no repro

The best way to tell how long a patch has been in place is to see close ups of the lining showing the outline in the back stitching. Age here is hard to fake.

The only patch I wouldn't totally dismiss out of hand is the 23rd, that said the close up makes it look too new, yet the work isn't typical of repro and a couple of things are done in the local manner. On the other hand there is little or no wear or roll to the edges which suggests maybe a previously unused original patch added (much) later?
Whatever, only the name tag looks as if it might have been there since the 1940s, but bearing in mind the more recent additions to the jacket I would take that with a pinch of salt subject to see the back stitch....especially if the name tag is the only form of provenance

Pics as requested in the underlined sentence above would go a long towards proving or disproving but it looks like a "Shotgun Wedding" to me

Sorry for the long delay but here are a few more photos. Tough communicating with the gentleman

Attachments

• 70FF868D-B956-4572-9370-E66F02100AB2.jpeg
    70FF868D-B956-4572-9370-E66F02100AB2.jpeg
    442.6 KB · Views: 134