• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Army OG-106 Jacket, Cold Weather (High Temperature) are not (and never were) "CVC/Tanker" jackets

FtrPlt

Ya, so you are saying you moved into the jumpsuit era. CWU-27. A one piece coverall type?
Moved into the jumpsuit era? No. The standard Army flying uniform when I went thru flying training was the one-piece, sage-green nomex flight suit (same as the other branches) with the lightweight and cold weather jackets discussed in this thread. The one-piece flight suit had already been in use for several years.

FtrPlt

This is the typical Army flying uniform for the mid-1980s. This is a student at Fort Rucker, Alabama.

Attachments

• 131890926_4248187148531377_8196991366981339753_n.jpg
    131890926_4248187148531377_8196991366981339753_n.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 191

Ed Rooney

Some DAC instructors at Rucker still wear the CWU-27, mostly because a civilian wearing an OCP 2-piece looks kind of funny.

NW Carver

Thank you for posting and discussing this jacket - I have had one of these since the early 1990s (Lancer Clothing Corp) which I bought from a militaria dealer to use over my flying overalls while ground crewing - and sometimes flying in - the Harvards (T-6 Texans) of the Harvard Formation team based at the Squadron, North Weald, Essex UK backs in the 1991 to 1999 period...

At the time I was told the jacket was US Army and used by their helicopter and tank crews but have never found much information to confirm that - all I knew was that it was a great jacket, that kept me warm and worked well with what I was doing - it’s a bit tired and you can see the stitch marks where there was name tags on here that had been removed and a small stitched repair in the shoulder - all done before I got the jacket....but I will never part with it, have too many memories with it...

9178AAA4-A725-4474-A207-5488B13B323C.jpeg

Spitfireace

Yup, 1980. I have three Gibraltars. They are Small/Short size. So I think they handled the small contract exclusively, and Lancer handled the medium contract. Probably someone else handled the large contract, not sure who though.

Spitfireace

I'm still trying to figure out why the right pocket flap is always folded over at the top. All three of my jackets are like that.

NW Carver

I'm still trying to figure out why the right pocket flap is always folded over at the top. All three of my jackets are like that.
Yep, it’s weird but all the jackets I have seen from that period seem to have this - as if done intentionally by the people wearing them

Spitfireace

Correction. I just looked at my NOS Gibraltar still in the issue bag, and it does not have the folded over right pocket flap. So ya, I think you are right, it's done by the wearer. Why is a mystery.