• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone want to try dating this?

Ken at Aero Leather

I found this on google with an astonishing story re the alleged age and provenance from a highly accredited source

I think the story is complete BS

What date would YOU put on this jacket?

How Old.jpg
How Old 2.jpg

Technonut2112

Going by the top pic, I would probably think early to mid-80's at a glance.. The zippers and snaps should be an indicator, but as you know, they could have been NOS when the jacket was made.

Smithy

That's the JFK jacket isn't it? I remember that episode and thought it was hokey at the time. Probably a bunch of arse but I bet somebody made squillions out of it.

Ken at Aero Leather

That's the JFK jacket isn't it? I remember that episode and thought it was hokey at the time. Probably a bunch of arse but I bet somebody made squillions out of it.

Well spotted Smithy, the jacket, to fit the speil, would have to be pre mid 1953 when JFK married Jackie, I doubt if it's even pre 1983, I can't believe anyone fell for it

Quote from the show "it had belonged to JFK! (GASP!) and had been left behind in France when he had left his lover (GASP!) and gone back to America to be married just a couple of weeks later (GASP!)"

The "gasps" I can only assume, came from folk in the audience who couldn't believe how stupid the "experts" were

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/bbc/11997278/Antiques-Roadshow-unearths-JFKs-leather-jacket.html
https://thespinoff.co.nz/featured/3...tial-leathers-a-day-at-the-antiques-roadshow/

Last edited:

dmar836

So I guess what links this jacket to Kennedy? I mean in a legitimate way? To me it's all hearsay and even if a woman walked up to me and gave me the jacket and I knew she had been his mistress, wouldn't I want proof? At least a pic of him in it just once?

Ken at Aero Leather

So I guess what links this jacket to Kennedy? I mean in a legitimate way? To me it's all hearsay and even if a woman walked up to me and gave me the jacket and I knew she had been his mistress, wouldn't I want proof? At least a pic of him in it just once?

Of Course there are no pictures, how could there be? unless you believe in time travel
There's more chance of getting a picture of The Red Baron in Type A-2

The only link is BullShit

Last edited:

Ken at Aero Leather

Apart from the obvious 80s/90s Mall Jacket clues leaping from the design, droopy shoulder, zippers, pockets, stop me please....,
if there is ANYONE on VLJ that really believes that a man as stylish as JFK would even been seen in the same room as this piece of shit, then he or she should be immediately black balled by fellow members for the sake of the integrity of the forum

What would you lot have said to any new member posting this and wanting info on it.........and be honest

Micawber

I saw the title of this thread and thought I would see a line up of likely young beauties looking for new partners.

Disappointed.

Why my coat, thank you :D

STEVE S.

I take anything I see on those TV shows with a grain of salt. I have been privy to some of the behind the scene crap that goes on with shows such as “American Pickers” etc. It’s all put on for the entertainment factor. They don’t pick thru & find anything on TV, a crew of folks goes through the place for a week sortinng things out & planting things for them to “discover” when the filming starts. Ever notice when they stop & knock on a door making a “cold call” that cameras are already rolling from inside the house when the door is answered??

Ken at Aero Leather

I take anything I see on those TV shows with a grain of salt. I have been privy to some of the behind the scene crap that goes on with shows such as “American Pickers” etc. It’s all put on for the entertainment factor. They don’t pick thru & find anything on TV, a crew of folks goes through the place for a week sortinng things out & planting things for them to “discover” when the filming starts. Ever notice when they stop & knock on a door making a “cold call” that cameras are already rolling from inside the house when the door is answered??

My main gripe too Steve, and so obvious too, they treat the public as if we are all idiots.
In defence of Antiques Road Show they do have a very good reputation and in the past have been known to pull something amazing out of the hat

Otter

I remember once seeing a piece of quite ordinary Japanese porcelain on one show, the glaze had melted and run on one side, trapping bits of debris in it. The gent who brought it explained his father was an officer in the RN at the end of WWII, his ship had berthed at Hiroshima and they were trucked about to see the blast damage caused by the new superweapon. He plucked this from the ruins, must have been pretty close to the fireball, had a bunch of photos to to back it up as well. They declined to offer a valuation for which I do not blame them.