• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone know what Jacket this is?

Happy Hooligan

I saw this pic in a 1946 yearbook and I'm really liking it. Anyone know the brand and model?
IMG_7581.JPG

B-Man2

No but I checked the Aero Leather website and they have a couple of models that come very close to that design.

Roughwear

There was no such thing as a bomber jacket, but there were of course jackets worn by aircrew who flew bombers! This civilian jacket is fairly typical of private purchased jackets worn by some USAAF aircrew, especially when the A-2 was no longer issued after 1943.

bseal

Judging by how period accurate it looks, I’d say with a high degree of confidence, Goodwear Leather Coat Company.

Ken at Aero Leather

Judging by how period accurate it looks, I’d say with a high degree of confidence, Goodwear Leather Coat Company.

Are you sure?
John must have enlisted the help of Dr Emmett Brown on this one, as it's from a 1946 Year Book

It's a typical Half Belted Civvy Work Jacket, almost certainly dating from immediate post WW2, which is when that cuff became the default option replacing the button cuff most commonly used on these in the 1930s

Last edited:

Pilot

There was no such thing as a bomber jacket, but there were of course jackets worn by aircrew who flew bombers! This civilian jacket is fairly typical of private purchased jackets worn by some USAAF aircrew, especially when the A-2 was no longer issued after 1943.
Private purchased jackets by Luftwaffe pilots as well...See the French Cycliste so called "Hartmann" jacket....plus a few other (real WW2/WWII ...NOT GREASE-BAY- )versions.

Ken at Aero Leather

Sportclad horsehide ?

Possible, I do recall a lot of these with JC Penney labels passing through my hands but I'd guess there must have twenty firms at least producing something similar at the time

This is identical to the style we used to made our first ever Horsehide jacket in 1986, it never left Aero's ownership although it's been worn by several staff members over the years, it's now in the showroom display cabinet and doesn't look a day over 70 years old!