• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone know of a high quality reproduction of the RAF Officers kit bag

warguy

Was watching the Battle of Britain for the zillionth time and the canvas officers kit bag used by Christopher Plummer in the film is sure appealing. I think it is tan canvas with perhaps leather handles and trim. Anyone know of a reproduction of that bag out there?

B-Man2

Was watching the Battle of Britain for the zillionth time and the canvas officers kit bag used by Christopher Plummer in the film is sure appealing. I think it is tan canvas with perhaps leather handles and trim. Anyone know of a reproduction of that bag out there?
I wonder if that was that a legitimate issued piece of RAF kit ?
Or a Hollywood designed and made up item .

jack31916

Never heard of such an issued bag but I guess that any period canvas holdall will do.

The Royal Navy did have holdalls and you can find these on Ebay. Silvermans.co.uk do a nice bag but rather expensive at 275 Gbp.

Smithy

NCOs at the time of the Battle of Britain were issued a "Kit bag" which was white canvas and essentially a duffle bag. These usually had the name and/or service number stencilled on it. Although it would have been technically possible for an officer to obtain one, they would have used private luggage.

Here's an example...

972996d1466453858-ww2-raf-kit-bag-e-h-beach-air-ministry-1940-a-dsc04497.jpg

warguy

I think I recall seeing a similar one used in the beginning of First Light as well. Perhaps it was a parachute bag but it seems smaller. Here is a picture of one I pulled off the web. It was listed in worth point and described as a RAF Officers bag, and it does look similar to the one used in the Battle of Britain.
02645FDD-39E7-4829-A5FE-46A15CA0F98F.jpeg

Smithy

I think I recall seeing a similar one used in the beginning of First Light as well. Perhaps it was a parachute bag but it seems smaller. Here is a picture of one I pulled off the web. It was listed in worth point and described as a RAF Officers bag, and it does look similar to the one used in the Battle of Britain. View attachment 73281

That is a WWII British Army officer's bag not RAF. They're very nice bags.

Last edited: