• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone know anything about these USAF issues A2's?

cem1972

Hi guys, new here.... Would anyone have info or insight at all anything really on this issued USAF A2 from.... was a family members but I know nothing about it.. is it a REAL modern re-ssue USAF issued A2 Flight jacket...?

Attachments

• ERICA214_091742.jpg
    ERICA214_091742.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 290
  • ERICA2324_091820.jpg
    ERICA2324_091820.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 282
Last edited:

B-Man2

Issued USAF Blood Chits have a serial number on them. Older ones had the serial number in all of the 4 corners. The reason being is that if someone helped a downed pilot, a corner of the chit would be cut off and given to the person so they could turn it in to the Air Force at a later time and claim their reward. If it doesn’t have a serial number on it, then it’s a fake. By the way chits were tightly controlled and genuine issued blood chits are rare and hard to find.

B-Man2

I have heard of Air crews having them installed.
Well .. that wouldn’t make them original issued items. And certainly if that happened, it wouldn’t have done any good as the Air Force wouldn’t pay a reward based on someone turning in a fake blood chit. Actually it would have been a dis service to all downed airmen because once the word got out that the chits weren’t being honored for payment , then people would think twice about risking their lives to help one.
There’s an old saying about buying jackets and other collectables.
If your trying to decide wether or not to buy the jacket or any collectible item , always buy the item, but never buy the story that goes with it without some type of provenance .

Juanito

As well as flight jackets I have also been collecting US Army kit for over 30 years. That is a legit DoD contract number, the civilian Cooper A2s have orange labels. You were a bit hasty there.
Thanks for the comment. I never said it was the civilian issued Cooper. It is a standard issue Cooper from the 1996 contract spec. The chit is fake as it has 48 stars. Why would a jacket issued 1996 or later have a 48 star chit like this?

B-Man2

The Blood Chit is a fake thus the 48 stars and no serial number.
The previous owner probably liked the look of it inside his jacket or... thought he could sell the jacket for a few more dollars with the fake chit .
The jacket looks nice and the fake chit is cool looking . I would keep it and enjoy wearing it.

Last edited:

MikeyB-17

Personally, it being a genuine issue A-2, I would ditch the fake chit. Then again, you can’t see it when it’s being worn. I’m not keen on repro patches and the like on issued jackets, but it’s yours, so your choice.

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

Just to geek out a bit... current blood chits are made of TYVEK material, they are controlled items showing serial numbers on each corner and they are no longer sewn onto the jacket, they are issued to pilots and they have to return them after landing.

Last edited: