• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone know about this type of coat?

Tasblakey

Hi first post after finding this site while researching my new (old) coat.
I found this at a local 2nd hand/collectables store (Tasmania, Australia) and couldn't resist, perfect fit and $95! There are no makers labels or even evidence of ever having labels, checked all the likely places ie. collar, inside pockets, behind the lining, etc.
It is double breasted trench style and quite heavy, already broken a couple of coathangers, is about mid-shin length has knitted cuffs which sit up inside the sleeves, fully lined with a simple brown cotton and Bakelite buttons. The two belt loops are intact but has no belt, there are press stud sockets under the collar - 1 on one side and 2 on the other - for a leather tab closure I think, and the outside pockets are two way - that is there is a normal pocket of the cotton lining plus full access to trouser pockets, etc. without having to unbutton.
I have seen a couple of very similar ones on ebay and Gumtree purporting to be Australian Flying Corps WW1, including one on display in the Shrine of Remembrance (Melbourne) as part of an AFC pilots uniform (the interpretation panel details the pilots would buy their own leather coats, usually as worn by motorcyclists), this info got me a bit excited that my coat could have such a connection but then started studying the inside pocket.
There is a pocket on the lining about LHS breast height, angled to aid access with the right hand with a leather finished brass zipper closure. Wasn't sure when zips were first used commercially so got the magnifying glass out, the zip pull has 'lightning zip' on the face side (with a lightning motif) and the following stamped into the reverse face (quite difficult to read) - BRIT. MADE, KYNOCH, PAT. 245950 - So it was made by the Lightning Zipper co. which was formed in 1925 within the large British company Kynoch, which, about the same time became part of ICI (Imperial Chemical Industries Ltd.) ref. Graces Guide
So, that means, unless the inside pocket was fitted later - which it doesn't look like it - this coat dates around the late 1920's I found a contemporary Lightning Zipper advert (1929) showing a similar style pull and a 1936 one which has a different style, thus 1925 - 1936.
So, maybe this pattern of coat had been manufactured during WW1 up until at least 1930 without change, except for using zip closures when the became available? possible but unlikely, and why wouldn't there be any makers identification? All the identical ones I have seen for sale online are also without any labels.
Anyway, if any members have any information it would be appreciated, an aviation connection would be icing on the cake but just the fact that it is likely to be close to 100 years old, has no damage, is very wearable and pliable ( after a couple of weeks of regular leather conditioner application) and complete - apart from a belt, just amazes me and if nothing else a full grain leather coat for under a $100, who could complain!
Some photos included.

Cheers

Attachments

• 20200602_125559.jpg
    20200602_125559.jpg
    975 KB · Views: 209
  • 20200602_125715.jpg
    20200602_125715.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 228
  • 20200602_125845.jpg
    20200602_125845.jpg
    949.5 KB · Views: 220
  • 20200602_125951.jpg
    20200602_125951.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 223
  • 20200602_125734.jpg
    20200602_125734.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 228
  • Im193604CTCG-BOE.jpg
    Im193604CTCG-BOE.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 193
  • Im19291205MC-Lightninmg.jpg
    Im19291205MC-Lightninmg.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 212

Ken at Aero Leather

Hi first post after finding this site while researching my new (old) coat.
I found this at a local 2nd hand/collectables store (Tasmania, Australia) and couldn't resist, perfect fit and $95! There are no makers labels or even evidence of ever having labels, checked all the likely places ie. collar, inside pockets, behind the lining, etc.
It is double breasted trench style and quite heavy, already broken a couple of coathangers, is about mid-shin length has knitted cuffs which sit up inside the sleeves, fully lined with a simple brown cotton and Bakelite buttons. The two belt loops are intact but has no belt, there are press stud sockets under the collar - 1 on one side and 2 on the other - for a leather tab closure I think, and the outside pockets are two way - that is there is a normal pocket of the cotton lining plus full access to trouser pockets, etc. without having to unbutton.
I have seen a couple of very similar ones on ebay and Gumtree purporting to be Australian Flying Corps WW1, including one on display in the Shrine of Remembrance (Melbourne) as part of an AFC pilots uniform (the interpretation panel details the pilots would buy their own leather coats, usually as worn by motorcyclists), this info got me a bit excited that my coat could have such a connection but then started studying the inside pocket.
There is a pocket on the lining about LHS breast height, angled to aid access with the right hand with a leather finished brass zipper closure. Wasn't sure when zips were first used commercially so got the magnifying glass out, the zip pull has 'lightning zip' on the face side (with a lightning motif) and the following stamped into the reverse face (quite difficult to read) - BRIT. MADE, KYNOCH, PAT. 245950 - So it was made by the Lightning Zipper co. which was formed in 1925 within the large British company Kynoch, which, about the same time became part of ICI (Imperial Chemical Industries Ltd.) ref. Graces Guide
So, that means, unless the inside pocket was fitted later - which it doesn't look like it - this coat dates around the late 1920's I found a contemporary Lightning Zipper advert (1929) showing a similar style pull and a 1936 one which has a different style, thus 1925 - 1936.
So, maybe this pattern of coat had been manufactured during WW1 up until at least 1930 without change, except for using zip closures when the became available? possible but unlikely, and why wouldn't there be any makers identification? All the identical ones I have seen for sale online are also without any labels.
Anyway, if any members have any information it would be appreciated, an aviation connection would be icing on the cake but just the fact that it is likely to be close to 100 years old, has no damage, is very wearable and pliable ( after a couple of weeks of regular leather conditioner application) and complete - apart from a belt, just amazes me and if nothing else a full grain leather coat for under a $100, who could complain!
Some photos included.

Cheers

Beautiful coat, typical British Motoring Coat from between the wars, I'd guess very late 20s or more likely early 30s for yours.
These are getting very rare as they approach 100 years old

zoomer

Handsome...the raglan shoulder and soft collar make it look less "totalitarian" than my East Bloc brown trench, which has built up shoulders and an inner belt instead of buttons.
This coat is currently in Minneapolis. If I wore it in the street there I'd probably be treated to a Molotov cocktail.
IMG_4410.JPG

Last edited:

Tasblakey

Beautiful coat, typical British Motoring Coat from between the wars, I'd guess very late 20s or more likely early 30s for yours.
These are getting very rare as they approach 100 years old
Thanks, I think so too, I'm regretting not buying the pair of leather gauntlets which were in the same store, haven't been able to get back there because of lockdown. I'm keen to see how it goes as winter approaches, we had our first sight of snow today.