• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone interested in Fivestar horsehide? 3 shades in progress..

Smithy

I've told Shawn that I'm in for either the upcoming Star or Poughkeepsie as soon as they're ready.

I'd been thinking the Star but over the last week I'm starting to think I like the details of the Poughkeepsie more and it's one of those easy to wear contracts. Oh and the name is cooler too ;-)

mulceber

I've told Shawn that I'm in for either the upcoming Star or Poughkeepsie as soon as they're ready.

I'd been thinking the Star but over the last week I'm starting to think I like the details of the Poughkeepsie more and it's one of those easy to wear contracts. Oh and the name is cooler too ;-)

Real cool, Tim. I'm in line for one of his Poughkeepsies as well. I'm excited to see what Shawn can come up with. :D What color are you thinking, Tim?

Last edited:

WingAndaPrayer

Agree. Very similar to the ATF font...
If AAF decal placing are offered by 5 stars as an option, then I would advice dear Shawn to change the decal supplier, cause the font is different from the original. All good things cost money, but these are the nuances that often make the final product (jacket) look like the original.
I also don’t think that with zippers as used today, these jackets will cost more than a thousand some day.
What’s wrong with the font?

Flightengineer

What’s wrong with the font?

The original font is different. In the original, the round letter O, C. R amd M letters looks differently etc. - it's another font with another proportions and heights . The wrong font is immediately noticeable (at least to me). It has always amazed me that people who start making repro decaies so often do it only halfway, cause original font is famous and easy to make with the right one once start production. A decal with an unoriginal font looks like a fake for my taste. This is just my personal opinion, I don't want to offend anyone, just an opinion.

Here is the original

MASH Japan offers good copy

ausreenactor

I concur...

Po-keep-sy is correct, yes?

Kermit3D

The original font is different. In the original, the round letter O, C. R amd M letters looks differently etc. - it's another font with another proportions and heights . The wrong font is immediately noticeable (at least to me). It has always amazed me that people who start making repro decaies so often do it only halfway, cause original font is famous and easy to make with the right one once start production. A decal with an unoriginal font looks like a fake for my taste. This is just my personal opinion, I don't want to offend anyone, just an opinion.

Here is the original

I totally agree. The jacket is really nice, it's a shame to use a bad quality decal (color that drools, bad choice of typography...).

It seems to me that the correct typography is "Futura". It's one of my favorite fonts, with a rich history. A very great classic.

WingAndaPrayer

Here is the original

Well that’s certainly a bit of a disappointment. I thought the decal would be spot on.

Kermit3D

Well that’s certainly a bit of a disappointment. I thought the decal would be spot on.

I realize that I may have been a bit extreme in my comment on this detail... Don't focus on that. I sincerely believe that in real life the jacket is really great. The decal is not perfect, but nobody in the street will say "hey ! your decal has the wrong typography". :)

Persimmon

I realize that I may have been a bit extreme in my comment on this detail... Don't focus on that. I sincerely believe that in real life the jacket is really great. The decal is not perfect, but nobody in the street will say "hey ! your decal has the wrong typography". :)

Ha ha. Except you ! A bit of wear and tear on it and all will be well

B-Man2

If it’s ok to add my 2 cents worth , 99 % of the people you pass on the street everyday won’t even know the true name of your jacket. ( A2 )
Most who think they do, will call it a bomber jacket. The one percent who do know a bit about your jacket might know the USAAF Roundel isn’t period correct . The good news is that …. Most of that one percent … lives here on the forum …. and we promise not to tell the other 99%;)

WingAndaPrayer

In all the years I’ve been wearing flight jackets around, I’ve only had one person identify my jacket as an A-2. One. And that was my geology professor back in 2004.
So if someone comes up on the street and calls out my Hap Arnold wings, I don’t think I would even be mad. Honestly, I’d be impressed.