• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone buying GW or ELC new any more ?

Officer Dibley

Been a while since anyone here was displaying a crisp new GW or ELC. Anyone got one heading their way soon ?
Or are we all second-hand goods and budget jackets only now ?

zoomer

Hell...several weeks ago everyone was telling me that the only market left was for made to order, and no one wanted used, bargains or not! :rolleyes:

scwells

Here is a quote from a John Chapman (buzzthetower) on June 18, 2014, which partially answers your question:
Most of my customers are in the US, and only a few are from the far East. A good portion are from Europe, too, but most are US. Most of them don't post on forums. Only about one in 20 of the jackets I make get mentioned on forums. These others are mostly quiet fellows who like the look of WWII gear, and the jackets have the advantage of being great with any format of clothing. I guess what I'm saying is that for those who post on the forum, it may not be an even representation of those who buy jackets.

Hope that helps!
John

Officer Dibley

Several of us have said this but not so well. This forum, great place though it is, isn’t even an ant’s sneeze in a jungle during monsoon in the flight jackets world.
However, GW was oft mentioned once upon a time and a lot of folk here have said they were going to put orders in at various points. Perhaps a lot here are in a holding pattern waiting for a jacket.......
And as a one-man band, JC can only make so many jackets and cannot soak up random drmands from film & tv for orders. At least not without pushing his waiting list back.

Smithy

I absolutely love ELC's stuff but it's now ridiculously overpriced IMO.

I've sworn off buying anymore jackets until I've worn out what I have but if I was in the market for an A-2 I'd go for Platon's one which seems the best bang for the buck. But I am interested in AVI's forthcoming Perry as I love the Bronco I have from them.

If I wanted an ELC I'd go secondhand now.

John's stuff is the bee's knees but I don't think I could take the long wait. It's also a little bit too over-engineered for me. For me they are what a certain original contract jacket would be if it was made to absolute perfection, something that didn't really happen during the war.

TBH I'm just trying to wear what I have now but I still get a buzz seeing other guys' new jackets, even if just right now I'm not in the market for any.

bn1966

I purchased an ELC Monarch new not long ago (funded by an A-2 & BOB Irvin type that could have fitted better). Monarch is great and breaking in a treat, fit is superb & comfortable out of the box. I've only ever owned 1 A-2 at a time and can't see that changing. My ELC collection covers all seasons & the only jacket I covert is the G-1 they sell, but these days I don't feel justified in shelling out that kind of $$$ on an item of clothing. I too like looking at others purchases for a buzz & can only see myself continuing with flight nylon & maybe the odd bit of fun from the likes of 5 Star.

Edward

if I lived in an environment where I could wear an A-2 (or any leather) for more than 3 or 4 months I would consider more jackets. as it is rotating 2 ELCs is more than enough for me. I had three (a second hand GW) but that was one too many and it felt like all my A-2s weren't getting enough wear time. Even during the "winter months" we will get many days that are too warm for an A-2. If I could afford it I would love a collection of period originals to put on display in my personal museum! LOL!

Brettafett

Love both ELC and GW, and have had a good number, but no way I'm paying those prices anymore.
Especially with Platon's Dubow... Its right up there and not taking seconds to anyone. Loving my seal, have a russet on the way...
Will play around with the budget jackets a bit more, for painting projects etc... But no, no more ELC's or GW's for me.
I will keep a loose look-out on John's sale page, but my size rarely comes up.

Silver Surfer

as mentioned in another thread, only second hand elc or gw a-2s. i simply can not jutstify spending the the kinda coin required for a new repro when that kinda coin can be spent on a very nice perfectly wearable original. near new elcs and gws can be found for $650-$700, and thats about my limit for a repro.

MikeyB-17

Wouldn’t dream of it. TBH even if I had the money, I probably wouldn’t. C’mon, knocking on for a grand for a leather jacket? Ludicrous. I kind of fancy another decent jacket, but have any number of other things I want before I get one. Keeping an eye on the used market though.

Pilot

Luckily, there are still some new jackets , buyers, otherwise, it would be even more difficult to find ELC, GW etc ...second hand jackets on the market and this for sensible prices....Lets just hope they will never go out of business, because their jackets will become rarer and more wanted than the WW2 originals.
:) ;)

Last edited:

Greg Gale

As much as I love ELC (Never handled a GW) their prices were well out of my budget range when I bough my Star. Now...well...hell must freeze before I can afford one. On one hand it makes me sad, on the other hand it opens up new opoortunities for new makers such as AVI or Platon. Then again, Eastman is still my favorite maker.

Officer Dibley

Has nobody put an order in with JC the last 2 years ? No-one waiting for their GW to arrive soon ? Wow. Still, helps the re-sale value.
Though with the latest Platon products, despite the wait, maybe that will keep the re-sale value down ...

Brettafett

There was a Star and a Dubow that found their way onto John's sale page months and months ago... The measurements for me were border-line, but one never knows till its in hand... Was very tempted!!! Still, both those jacket were well over $1100 ... Plus postage and certainly nasty UK imports...
GW sure, but could get two Platon's for that, with change! And honestly, they're same same... not better, not worse.
Almost jumped on a secondhand ELC Werber for half price, but still... THAT was more than a new Platon!
:D

Silver Surfer

my last big spend [7 or so months ago] was for that dubow that bret mentioned on chappy's sale page. john made me an offer that i could not refuse. and, yes, the gw dubow is outstanding, and fits as though it was custom ordered. it is different then my platon dubow, different contracts, colors, and slightly different measurements. the stable is full. btw, that shoe guy on eb lists gw a-2s, and sometimes elc a-2s, and they sell for reasonable prices in the auction format. most, if not all are in larger sizes, and always in top notch condition. and, lever has it right about buying second hand, ie: pre broken in....that is if the previous owner wasnt a chimney, obese, greasy sweat hog, etc.

Brettafett

my last big spend [7 or so months ago] was for that dubow that bret mentioned on chappy's sale page. john made me an offer that i could not refuse. and, yes, the gw dubow is outstanding, and fits as though it was custom ordered. it is different then my platon dubow, different contracts, colors, and slightly different measurements. the stable is full. btw, that shoe guy on eb lists gw a-2s, and sometimes elc a-2s, and they sell for reasonable prices in the auction format. most, if not all are in larger sizes, and always in top notch condition. and, lever has it right about buying second hand, ie: pre broken in....that is if the previous owner wasnt a chimney, obese, greasy sweat hog, etc.
FIT PICS!!!!!!!