• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any 'Zip Whisperers' out there..

SteveN

So you just rub the graphite powder on both sides of the zip and the slider? Without having tried this, it seems like it's just going to fall off the metal.

asiamiles

Even the knits are different on this latest run of green knit L-2As. Was surprised...
The newer ones look rather like they're trying to replicate knits where the colour has run, whereas the on the older ones they used the reasoning that the green knits were left over from L-2s.

Last edited:

Ken at Aero Leather

Sounds like the gap in one or both sides of the puller has opened slightly, a fairly common problem
This is uaually easily solved by gently sqeezing the gap in both sides of the slider with a pair of pliers
Cast zipper puller are liable to suddently shatter so be careful
Otherwise I'd say with 99% certainty that a new slider/puller would solve the issue

Ken at Aero Leather

Gents,

........... newer Superior Togs are using a repro Crown? It has a wave, like a snake on both sides too? Stitched flat but there are natural curves in the zipper. ..........

Couchy

Sounds like another Crown with shrunk tape after dying
We found that Crown are the only vintage zipper that can't be dyed without shrinking the tape Talon, Conmar, Conmatic all dye with zero shrinkage to the tape, I'd say Crown shrink nearly 5% that's a hell of a shrinkage on a 22" zipper, best part of 1"
Just check the number of repro Shearlings showing up on VLJ with Crown zippers that look like crinkle cut chips/French Fries

ausreenactor

That would make a lot of sense. I have been 'working' the zipper while zipped up and it has made a LOT of difference. No more a nuisance than the ship stopper it was. Popped in the bag again for a flip down the line. It's all gardens, mulch and painting this Christmas..

Appreciate the post Ken!