• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any thoughts on the Aero Indian Ranger?

rob20uk

Morning everyone,

The collective advice I have had previously on this forum has helped me massively in selecting some truly awesome jackets. I have a credit with aero and have decided to take the plunge and get a motorcycle jacket, I already have x2 Hywaymen and a Teamster from Thurston brothers in dark maple bainbridge. For my next jacket, I have just placed an order for the Indian Ranger in the Vicenza Horsehide?

Have any of you any thoughts on the Indian Ranger in the Vicenza Horsehide?

I look forward to any thoughts you might have.

entertainment

The one thing I would consider is whether you really want a jacket with an attached belt. These can be annoying if the jacket is not zipped up because the ends dangle and the buckle can clang. Not a problem if you will always wear the jacket zipped up, but I find my Beck 999 which just has belt loops for a detachable belt much more wearable than the Brooks I have with an integral belt.

rob20uk

The one thing I would consider is whether you really want a jacket with an attached belt. These can be annoying if the jacket is not zipped up because the ends dangle and the buckle can clang. Not a problem if you will always wear the jacket zipped up, but I find my Beck 999 which just has belt loops for a detachable belt much more wearable than the Brooks I have with an integral belt.
You make some good points.

I also have an Aero RAF Irvin flight jacket and I find that if I fold the belt in on itself it's generally not that annoying. Also the buckle seems quite small on the new version aero are doing.

MikeyB-17

I do like their bike jackets, and the Indian is one of my favourites. I guess it depends what you wear them with, but much as I love them, I find I can’t get away with that look-I have a much-loved Schott Perfecto, wouldn’t part with it, but I don’t wear it very often, it makes me look too Village People, especially with the ‘tache. :rolleyes:

rob20uk

I do like their bike jackets, and the Indian is one of my favourites. I guess it depends what you wear them with, but much as I love them, I find I can’t get away with that look-I have a much-loved Schott Perfecto, wouldn’t part with it, but I don’t wear it very often, it makes me look too Village People, especially with the ‘tache. :rolleyes:
I think getting the jacket in the softer Vicenza is a good start to avoid the 'Village People' look, oh and not having a tache ;)

rob20uk

Indian Ranger is possibly their coolest MC jacket style.
From looking at a lot of the MC jackets the Indian Ranger certainly looks like it's just right, it seems to not be trying to look good and a lot of the features on the jacket seem to have a genuine function rather than just trying to look good. It seems like it's a functional jacket.

Silver Surfer

Here’s a thought. Sometime You can find a first generation fidelity sportswear mc jacket for under $600 in perfectly wearable condition. These are the jobs made in the late ‘40s, early’50s, and have the red quilted liner. Why fidelity? Because there are some collectors that believe that it was fidelity that made the Indian jacket. If you source pix of both, you will see the uncanny similarity. The one I own is fitted with an original late 40s 51 Waldes main zipper.

MediumMech

I've had my eye on an Aero Ranger for some time. I think it's a lovely style, and I don't mind attached belts myself. I've been hoping to find something similar on the secondary/vintage market, but if nothing comes up soon, I just may take the plunge and order an Aero myself!

@rob20uk be sure and post some pics of your jacket when it arrives!

rob20uk

I've had my eye on an Aero Ranger for some time. I think it's a lovely style, and I don't mind attached belts myself. I've been hoping to find something similar on the secondary/vintage market, but if nothing comes up soon, I just may take the plunge and order an Aero myself!

@rob20uk be sure and post some pics of your jacket when it arrives!
I’ll post pictures when I get it, realistically that’s going to be in three months.

Personally I would rather pay a little more and get something that is exactly what I want. You are paying so much for jackets like this you may as well make sure the arms and back length is perfect.

The Indian Ranger easily looks the best MC jacket. It also looks the most casually practical.

This is my biggest issue with Eastman, it’s pretty much you get the size they make.

Last edited:

rob20uk

@calvin006 I agree with the observations you made. I think you are right about the fact that the Indian Ranger has a standout design that makes it a good casual jacket without looking 'cop' or 'Village People'. I think it's down to the lighter Vicenza leather mixed with the fact it's just a practical MC jacket. It feels like the jacket was designed to be a practical MC jacket and not a fashion statement. I am guessing that this meant that lots of the silly design features you see on other jackets were never included. It's a bit like the original Land Rover Defender, very functional for what it was made for.

Below are some pictures of the Indian Ranger in the Vicenza Horsehide. It really is a stunning jacket.

aero_indianranger_52_11.jpg

1D1FC66B-2BDE-41BB-8582-BB396D2CFC37.jpg

431855B0-0E57-4058-AA13-6E74718A8DDC.jpg

FE07EA47-44FD-4486-A455-ED29E345C52E.jpg

aero_indianranger_52_14.jpg

aero_indianranger_52_13.jpg

aero_indianranger_52_12.jpg

6067D9F5-5B4A-464F-A031-B9B8E22DF49C.jpg

71AB2FF7-4335-4D05-B3FF-A79DBD9902EC.jpg