• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any thoughts on Quartermaster Inspector?

mulceber

When I bought my B-10, my wife, @Nnatalie really liked it - enough that she’s interested in getting a fabric flight jacket. The obvious choice is the B-17, one of the few women’s flight jackets produced during WW2. Eastman makes what looks to be a fantastic repro, but neither of us is feeling like Eastman prices right now.

Looking around online, the other option we found is Quartermaster Inspector, a Belgian company (https://qmi.be/en/type-b-17-jacket-wasp-flying-nurses.html). Does anyone have any experience buying from them? Their repros look decent enough from the pictures on their website, but I’m wary of buying from anyone who doesn’t have the VLJ stamp of approval.

Brettafett

Ive tried their jackets on at airshows over the years.
Not too impressed really, but that's comparing them to ELC, BK, GW and the likes. Granted, this may have changed in a year.
What I tried, the leather jackets were pretty lifeless and stiff, I think its based loosely on a Monarch pattern. They did say, customisations were possible.
USN jackets were heavy. B-10s were ok, I just recall being underwhelmed... Bob Dong and Bronson felt better.

Its funny you are looking at the ladies version Jan, so am I, for my partner. She was initially keen on a G-1, but the B-10 is lighter and she wants to patch it up lol
I was considering asking Shawn Ali, but waiting to hear his news of his B-10. These QMI may be worth a try, if returnable...

Griffon_301

I tried one of their B-15s the last time they were at Duxford and was not impressed either...to be honest the jacket was not that bad, but I had bought my Irvin at ELC just an hour before and coincidentally also tried one of the ELC B-15 and compared to the ELC version the QMI jacket was, well, cheap...
The fit was also strange, rather short in length and wide in the chest... I am happy I waited and got my B-15s from ELC second hand when the offers came up...

I would rather stay away from them and go for second hand ELCs or BRs... A girl I know got herself a BR B-10 and is quite happy with it...

Brettafett

Thats was my experience... Was at the ELC tent, then QMI and also Seal military... and back to ELC.... a few times.

Griffon_301

Same here...although I have to say I really like Kevin and his charming wife from Seal Military...my B-10 is from him as well as my el cheapo A-2 and I also have some shirts and a sweater from him...and it's always nice chatting with them when I am at Duxford...

Brettafett

I don't recall his name, and I'm pretty sure it at Seal Military at Duxford last. I was looking at a Crusher cap there, the gentleman and I had a good chat. Possibly same guy...

Brettafett

As you do !!:D

I always think I see Gary wince in the background. All these sweaty guys coming into the tent trying on his immaculate, expensive jackets, then most walking out only to come back 2 or 3 more times... Everyone always flexes and flails to 'see' how the jacket fits lol And ultimately not buying anything.

mulceber

Well I think we answered the question of why Eastman stopped attending Duxford... :p

Shame about QMI though. I Don’t think even the smallest B-10 would fit @Nnatalie, so I guess I’ll just have to keep an eye out for deals. There was one on Eastman’s classified page that might have worked, except that at the price the seller wanted, I almost might have gotten it new.:rolleyes:

B-Man2

Hi Jan and Natalie
I really don’t have a lot to offer to the conversation as I’ve never had a QMI jacket, but I just wanted to say hi and to suggest that for the price difference of a BUZZ vs a Bob Dong or a Bronson , you might be better off going with the later companies particularly if Natalie is planning on patching the jacket. Hate to see a $400. 00 jacket like a Buzz get all patched up and then a few years down the road it sits in a closet and you decide it’s time to sell it. As you guys know patched jackets lose some value over unpatched ones. The BD and Bronson jackets also come in smaller sizes that might work for Nat, but I realize that they’re still cut for men, not for women.
keep in mind that during WWII women were issued men’s flight jackets, so in one respect Natalie would have an authentic fit and accurate repro of the period by wearing a mans jacket.
Any way ....... Hi Guys !!!! :D

Nnatalie

I was considering asking Shawn Ali, but waiting to hear his news of his B-10. These QMI may be worth a try, if returnable...

If he does come out with a nice B-10, getting a customized one may be the way to go for me...I’m petite enough (5’1”, women’s 32 or 34) that I’d probably be drowning in even the smallest of any maker’s men’s sizes. Not so much a concern back in the day, because there was a war on and getting things done mattered more than what I would have looked like in the cockpit, but nowadays I want to get my money’s worth with a well fitting garment.

Thanks so much for the advice and suggestions, everyone!

mulceber

Hey Burt! We should have another phone chat sometime! I don't really have any particular topic in mind, but last time was fun. That's a good point about patching, as there was some talk about giving it some WASP patches. The ideal would really be if Shawn came out with a B-15 repro, and then @Nnatalie could get one of those cut to her size, which would effectively be a B-17 (even Eastman says on their site that the B-17 is basically just a B-15 in women's sizes). I suspect that's in the works, but I doubt we'll be seeing it any time in the next year.

B-Man2

Hey Burt! We should have another phone chat sometime! I don't really have any particular topic in mind, but last time was fun. That's a good point about patching, as there was some talk about giving it some WASP patches. The ideal would really be if Shawn came out with a B-15 repro, and then @Nnatalie could get one of those cut to her size, which would effectively be a B-17 (even Eastman says on their site that the B-17 is basically just a B-15 in women's sizes). I suspect that's in the works, but I doubt we'll be seeing it any time in the next year.
That’s actually a great idea on a 5 star custom jacket for Natalie. Hopefully Shawn has something in the works. Hope you guys are doing well and great idea about another phone conversation . Maybe sometime this weekend if you guys have some free time. :D

mulceber

Hopefully Shawn has something in the works.

I've been saying that to myself a lot these days. I've been wanting to buy from Shawn, but nearly all of his current and immediately forthcoming offerings are in areas where I'm pretty well set. At this point I'm just waiting for the catalog to get deeper: ANJ-4, B-6, the cloth jackets, etc.

And sometime this week sounds great! We can chat about it in private message.

Adama36

I had a B10 from QMI and it was a piece of crap - Fur looked and felt like a cheap Teddy Bear and the collar was made of long and fuzzy plastic hairs. The jacket was not really warm either and the elastic in the cuff were dead.
My recommendation: Do not buy from them

FYI: I had one from Bronson also and it was night and day when compared to QMI

zoomer

Something about the economics of the apparel business is very unfriendly to niche markets. Bronson can offer their P/Q ratio because they do not get mixed up with larger sizes. QMI does and obviously can't offer the same quality for the price.

I hope to be proven wrong...

Last edited: