• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any help identifying this jacket?

Biglog

Hi,
This jacket was my Dad's. He immigrated to Canada from Germany in 1953 & may have ridden a motorcycle
briefly between 1953 - 1956 in Ottawa, Ontario. He spent 3 1/2 yrs in POW camps until 1946 (German army).
The tag is unreadable (but maybe recognizable to a knowledgeable collector) & there are no other markings.
Any help in discovering if it's German military, Canadian civilian or Other, would be greatly appreciated. He did
not have any wartime uniform pieces or other "souvenirs". Only photos, papers & a book or 2. Thank you!

Attachments

• FRONT.jpg
    FRONT.jpg
    910 KB · Views: 197
  • INSIDE.jpg
    INSIDE.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 192
  • POCKET ZIP.jpg
    POCKET ZIP.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 198
  • TAG.jpg
    TAG.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 154
  • TAG.jpg
    TAG.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 162

B-Man2

Hi Biglog
Welcome to VLJ...
Your jacket is what we commonly refer to as a French cyclist style jacket that were common in Europe during the 1940/1950s time frame.
You will also hear this jacket referred to as a Luftwaffe jacket or a Hartman jacket as during the 1940s after Germany invaded France many of the German Luftwaffe pilots purchased these jackets and wore them as part of these personal flight gear. One of the most famous of these was Eric Hartmann who wore a jacket like this. Hope that helps.
I’m sure others will be along shortly to tell you some additional info about your jacket.
Question ? Was your father ever stationed in France when he was in the German Army? If so that would be the connection.
Cheers

Biglog

Hi Biglog
Welcome to VLJ...
Your jacket is what we commonly refer to as a French cyclist style jacket that were common in Europe during the 1940/1950s time frame.
You will also hear this jacket referred to as a Luftwaffe jacket or a Hartman jacket as during the 1940s after Germany invaded France many of the German Luftwaffe pilots purchased these jackets and wore them as part of these personal flight gear. One of the most famous of these was Eric Hartmann who wore a jacket like this. Hope that helps.
I’m sure others will be along shortly to tell you some additional info about your jacket.
Question ? Was your father ever stationed in France when he was in the German Army? If so that would be the connection.
Cheers
Thank you! Great info. Yes, I recall a story of them riding bicycles through the French countryside all roped together in a long line. I believe he was just
an unwilling grunt (not likely a volunteer). I don't recall him mentioning where or how he was captured, or if he ever saw any action, just a few stories of life in POW camps in England, Scotland and Mississippi - I just recently found a booklet with the censors approval stamp at a Camp Shelby, Miss. April 1946. This is the fist specific fact I've found about his war history. I WISH I knew where/how he'd acquired this jacket as he was NOT in the airforce!?!
I'll attach a couple of detail pics in case someone can identify the label, button or zipper pulls. Thanks again (now I know what the jacket is called).

Attachments

• CUFF BUTTON.jpg
    CUFF BUTTON.jpg
    469.7 KB · Views: 145
  • POCKET ZIP.jpg
    POCKET ZIP.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 131
  • TAG.jpg
    TAG.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 183
  • ZIPPER PULL.jpg
    ZIPPER PULL.jpg
    561.1 KB · Views: 153

Biglog

Another question & 3 more detail pics...This jacket is in pretty rough condition.
Is something in this condition of any interest to collectors?
Also, I'd REALLY love to know what the tag said (before it wore dow
It's a shame to just hang in my closet if someone else would shot it more "love".
Thanks!IMG_20200406_171630179_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpgIMG_20200406_171732890.jpgTAG.jpg

Biglog

1.)...Still hoping someone might recognize the Brand from the worn label, or other details,
and
2.) What if any value a jacket in this condition might have.
Thank you!