• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Antique store find original Fried Ostermann A2 what to do?

warguy

I appreciate everyone who chimed in on this thread. After a lot of thought, I have decided to replace this jackets lining and knits. I know that will trouble some, but I also know for many others, this decision would have been a no brainer. While I am still not sure that this jacket will fit me, (I still doubt it will), the leather shell is just too good and it feels like this jacket would be best served by restoring the lining and knits. I know if this jacket had any paint or patches on it, I would just leave it alone. As a plain Jane jacket with a very nice hide, it just seems it would be a good candidate to restore.

I appreciate the help of one forum member in particular regarding the restoration process through the private messaging process, and I will be reaching out to Steve Sellers to see if he can take on the job. I will keep you all posted and again, want to say how much a truly appreciate all the comments and various points of view.

ausreenactor

I appreciate everyone who chimed in on this thread. After a lot of thought, I have decided to replace this jackets lining and knits. I know that will trouble some, but I also know for many others, this decision would have been a no brainer. While I am still not sure that this jacket will fit me, (I still doubt it will), the leather shell is just too good and it feels like this jacket would be best served by restoring the lining and knits. I know if this jacket had any paint or patches on it, I would just leave it alone. As a plain Jane jacket with a very nice hide, it just seems it would be a good candidate to restore.

I appreciate the help of one forum member in particular regarding the restoration process through the private messaging process, and I will be reaching out to Steve Sellers to see if he can take on the job. I will keep you all posted and again, want to say how much a truly appreciate all the comments and various points of view.
This makes me smile... for a number of reasons.

Spitfireace

If Sellers wants it.

warguy

UPDATE***********UPDATE*************UPDATE****************

I wanted to update the forum especially members who followed this thread and those that weighed in on my decision. In November-December when I was struggling on the decision of what to do with this jacket, I received some PMs from a few outstanding forum members. This experience truly illustrates the advantages of this forum and the remarkable members who are active here. First, member RB25 better known as Ryan was so very helpful in describing work he has had done by Steve Sellers in the past He shared several jackets he had restored by Steve, including "in progress" photos. I have made a new friend in Ryan, and he has been exceptionally generous of his time. I also have had conversations behind the scenes with Grant. I love Grants posts as most of us probably do, but I tell you he is a great guy through and through. He shared some suggestions with me specifically pointing me to some high-quality knits available on ebay. I was able to choose from three different colors and the set I purchased matched the old ones on this jacket perfectly both in color and quality. Additionally, he suggested I look at Eastman's for the lining material. He even initially offered to give me some lining material he thought he had in reserve until a check on that revealed he didn't have enough. He provided me a contact at Eastman's and through a comparison with a RW 1401P jacket I recently purchased from them I ordered the lining for this model. Although it was a week before Christmas and Amazon was no longer guaranteeing delivery by the big day, Eastman's sent me the fabric which arrived in five days overseas! They were great and even threw in a 2022 pin up calendar for free. You guys can say what you want about their prices, but ELC is a class act!!

I also received an unsolicited message from John Chapman who provided me a page and half of information on the Ostermann contract. We all know he is an expert on jackets across the board, but he could easily write a book on this one! He was again very generous of his time, and I am so appreciative. What did he want in return? Absolutely nothing!! He just wanted to provide and share information. He too is a class act!

So, I sent the jacket and parts to Steve Sellers a couple days after Christmas. I included a half page write up of my concerns and desires, and some things to pay attention to according to John. Steve was simply fantastic. He provided some photos of the work in progress and kept me constantly updated on the progress. Not only did he nail all I asked for but rose to the occasion in other ways as well. For instance, while I had the original contract tag (which he resewed in the replacement lining using black thread particular to this maker) he also had a spare size 42 tag that he mounted below that for me. He also correctly stamped the liner with the AN mark and used the same inspector numbers in the mark that was on the original liner. His workmanship is fantastic! I see no stitch holes at all and were it not for the fact the knits and liner are new, it would be hard to tell these had been replaced. He was able to keep the original snaps and closure hooks and remount them.

I received the jacket back from Steve on Friday, so he had it maybe three weeks or so.

Anyway, thanks to everyone that contributed to this thread. Vintage Leather Jackets are well preserved in the hands of those who participate in this forum. I am very excited about the outcome and have no regrets at all. This jacket is still too big for me so I won't be wearing it, but it will display great in my collection! The first few pics that follow are from Steve when the jacket was on his work bench. Then the final product and glamor shots.

A2-003.jpg
A2-4.jpg
A2-5.jpg
A2-004.jpg
IMG_2266.JPG
IMG_2267.JPG
IMG_2268.JPG
IMG_2269.JPG
IMG_2270.JPG
IMG_2271.JPG

Last edited: