• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

another original bronco a-2

Silver Surfer

I believe that the bronco a-2s shown recently were in a thread about 5star repros. anyhoo, I just thought to add yet another original bronco
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_12a.jpg
View attachment 44247View attachment 44247
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_12d.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_12e.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_12c.jpg
to the pile.

Silver Surfer

yes they have. it was kinda mind blowing to come across an original in such super shape, with totally moth eaten knit elements. probably stowed for many years with the moth larvae in the knit ware.

mulceber

Looks like the liner's original though, based on the writing on it. And it seems like it's in pretty good shape. Strange that the moths had a feeding frenzy with the knits and didn't touch the cotton. I guess they were picky eaters.

Last edited:

Silver Surfer

interesting, in that you would think that broncos would be a go to a-2 for todays modern mens proportions, either original or repro [not including 5*], as they were made with a flattering design,, ie: slightly narrower bodies, accommodating arm holes, and wide shoulders. I get it though, about aeros and rws, since they have that iconic blousy body shape, and have name recognition.

blackrat2

Very true Vic reference the comfort/style factors, I haven’t got my Eastman book to hand so don’t know the quantities of Broncos turned out but certainly most of the postings, with the exception of the recent USL have favoured Aero n RW, possibly Cooper being one of the least posted about also

mulceber

@blackrat2, that doesn't surprise me, since Aero and Rough Wear were the first and second most prolific A-2 contractors. Together, they represent almost a third of all A-2 jackets made.

B-Man2

Vic
I’m pretty sure there’s at least one more in the hands of a VLJ guy, and I know that Andrew Swatland had one or two as well.

SuinBruin

Bronco A-2 originals... my all times favored... and no real historically correct repro on the market.
( hanger, pattern, epaulets, hides, collar etc..)
Just compare...
Curious to know where you think the Good Wear Bronco gets these details wrong. Thanks.

Pilot

Ple
Curious to know where you think the Good Wear Bronco gets these details wrong. Thanks.
Please feel free to compare with photos posted ( collar folding, and epaulets stitching pe). GW gets very close to my originals, but a few little things are still „missing“
with all due respect...(plus I am one of the greatest GW fan...)

SuinBruin

Ple

Please feel free to compare with photos posted ( collar folding, and epaulets stitching pe). GW gets very close to my originals, but a few little things are still „missing“
with all due respect...(plus I am one of the greatest GW fan...)
Interesting, my GW Bronco in horse looks very close to the photos of your jacket (with the exception of hide, which is the hardest to match). The epaulet stitching is a little different, but if you look at the epaulets on Burt's Bronco posted above, the stitching is different from yours as well. My understanding is that John took apart an actual Bronco for his updated pattern and so I would be very, very surprised if it were materially different from his model. And, given the size of the Bronco contract and the variety we see in the hides, colors, zips, etc., of originals, I think it's one of the harder contracts to have a single repro represent the entire run.

Pilot

Agree...and like you said a few times...a little different...and thats OK and great....
Plus John’s repro is still the best and finest of all others available.