• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another J.A Dubow W535ac27798...

Silver Surfer

many repro makers take great pains to source original a-2s to make their patterns. the problem is, many originals have shrunk disproportionately over the years. thus making a pattern from an original has its ups, [ie: where things go, and how they go there, visual clues, and the shape of panels, pockets, flaps,, etc.] and downs, ie: hide texture, color, and measurements. my experience has shown me that for the most part, a-2s were symetric in measurements. that is to say, a size 40 would have a pit to pit measurement of 22", sleeve length from the shoulder seam to the end of the leather sleeve [not including the cuff] 22", back length from the collar seam to bottom of the leather back [not including the waistband]: 22". for a size 42 the measurements would be an additional 1"[ 23"x23"x23"] , and so on. there are variations to this formula such as some dubows, and aeros sometimes seen as being 1/2" shorter in body length, and stars, and donigers often being 1/2" longer in body length. admittedly, my conclusions are based on observation, and handling originals.

Changeling

It`s a beauty, very strong grain across the whole jacket, fits you very well and that russet is a great colour, enjoy.

Carl

So true...sometimes these guys get something in their heads and you can’t get them to shake loose from it. Doesn’t make sense but that’s the way it goes :rolleyes:
His ball his rules :rolleyes: I'm glad I'm a small size you larger guys seem to have a tough time with some reproduction manufacturers ?

Dany McDonald

I guess it's tempting to follow a standard, ie sales (website only), communication, pattern, cutting, assembling, shipping, especially if you are a one guy do it all shop. Customizing would derive from the standard and could equal to time lost... In one sentence, what you see is what you get. From my experience with Platon, communication was at a minimum, but courteous, I understood that the talent is in the making not the PR, and that's okay. The website is pretty nice though.

D

Dany McDonald

@ Silver Surfer, that's is really an interesting observation. It makes sense from a manufacturing and logistical point of view...like in 20 000 in the making. Only someone with access to many originals can come up with this!

D

Kennyz

That makes makes a whole lot of sense Smithy.

Ken

TBH if he doesn't want to change his patterns I really don't see why he doesn't do an ELC and offer Long and Extra Long options. It's not changing the patterns, just adding either an inch or an inch and a half to the body and sleeve lengths of the regular size patterns. He could upcharge a small fee for it to cover the extra leather used and he'd expand his potential market. It's a bit daft that he doesn't at least do this.

Silver Surfer

logic would seem to dictate an easy to follow pattern formula for mass production of a-2s during the 1941-43 period. my guess is that each manufacturer had a stack of size 38, 40, 42, 44, etc patterns that were used. at the end of the day, all of the say, size 42 patterns could be conceivably put back in a pile and be interchangable with one another. after all, the machinists were trained to follow patterns, not do brain surgery. with that written, i have come across "oops" jackets where a size 40 front panel was put together with a size 42 jacket, and not to mention misaligned pockets and or misaligned pocket flaps, wavy zippers, etc. even with quality control and govt inspectors, these "oops" jackets made it out of the factory, and were used by the aaf. of some interest is, that navy [m-422, m-422a g-1] jackets from the 1941-43 period were made to a higher standard, [far less "oops"] even though the navy jackets were more complicated to make.

London Cabbie

Hello,

After 5 months I received my J.A Dubow W535ac27798 in russet. Since a lot has been said about the quality, finish and how faithful to the original the details are, I will only add how pleased I am with the jacket! I think the waiting time is quite okay and normal for the quality you get. After careful analysis of sizing and fitting, I went for a 42, I think I nailed it. I am getting use to the lower arm holes, roomier p2p and pocket flaps position (more to the back) compared to my Aero 15142-P pattern in size 38. The leather is quite different than jerky, it feels a bit more stiff and smell different due to the different tanning and finish process... Cant wait for it to soften and brake in. Wish Platon offered Crown chevron but the Talon works perfectly. I just acquired an original Talon, I am thinking replacing the puller with the stock one (see image).

Here's some images:

View attachment 25015View attachment 25016View attachment 25017View attachment 25018View attachment 25019View attachment 25020View attachment 25021
View attachment 25022

These photos have made my mind up 100%....

stanier

I've just seen this thread. Wow...makes me want to get a russet too, haha! :D

Yes Dany's russet jacket looks fantastic. How's it breaking in Dany? Anyone got pics of their Platon Dubow and how its breaking in after some serious wear? Russet or seal. Btw, it's hard to see on my phone screen, is that Talon zip nickel or brass finish? I agree on the Crown zip, if only that option was available!

stanier

I keep nearly ordering a Platon Dubow. I wonder what the lead time is now, particularly with the blasted corona flippin' virus and all it brings. I hope Platon and his team aren't compelled to work through it and they're all safe and well. Things have been tough enough in Greece without coping with that too.

Dany McDonald

Stanier,

It's still winter here, more B-15 than A-2. So the Dubow did not see alot of action since last year. I did wore my Aero a-2 (super soft jerky) all winter indoor at work. I am planning a post when the Dubow has seen some Triumph scrambler time!

cheers,

D

Smithy

I keep nearly ordering a Platon Dubow. I wonder what the lead time is now, particularly with the blasted corona flippin' virus and all it brings. I hope Platon and his team aren't compelled to work through it and they're all safe and well. Things have been tough enough in Greece without coping with that too.

You'd have to imagine there would be a delay both from a production perspective and a shipping one. As we've seen a lot of businesses which aren't essential are temporarily closed to protect their workers so Platon might have even done the same if he's more than a one man band.

Micawber

Cheers Micawber, I'd like to see those

44" seal Platon Dubow.

Dug out a few random shots from new seal in the box to lightly worn hanging up [green background], seal stripped and redyed to how it now is in my son's ownership complete with production Catch-22 patch obtained from Vic, Silver Surfer...

As new the seal topcoat is applied over russet so develops nice high spots fairly quickly [or did with the type of wear some of my jackets get], I reckon this looks great. That said the seal is easily stripped and the hide takes a refinish well. I got the finish I was after which admittedly will not be to everyone's taste but my money, my jacket ;)

If I were to by another [a real possibility as these are superb jackets] I'd go for a 46" as the 44" was a tad snug, shame the 48" has been dropped. The torso was ok for high rise trousers. In the end I took it down roughly a size with a mild HWT before handing it over to my lad.

Platon Dubow 44.jpg

IMG_20181113_134049600_HDR.jpg

Resize 08.jpg

IMG_20181214_120259448.jpg

IMG_20181214_120417019.jpg

IMG_20181214_120350063.jpg

IMG_20190707_18365751601.jpg