• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another J.A Dubow W535ac27798...

Dany McDonald

Hello,

After 5 months I received my J.A Dubow W535ac27798 in russet. Since a lot has been said about the quality, finish and how faithful to the original the details are, I will only add how pleased I am with the jacket! I think the waiting time is quite okay and normal for the quality you get. After careful analysis of sizing and fitting, I went for a 42, I think I nailed it. I am getting use to the lower arm holes, roomier p2p and pocket flaps position (more to the back) compared to my Aero 15142-P pattern in size 38. The leather is quite different than jerky, it feels a bit more stiff and smell different due to the different tanning and finish process... Cant wait for it to soften and brake in. Wish Platon offered Crown chevron but the Talon works perfectly. I just acquired an original Talon, I am thinking replacing the puller with the stock one (see image).

Here's some images:

K-VLJ001.jpg
K-VLJ002.jpg
K-VLJ003.jpg
K-VLJ004.jpg
K-VLJ005.jpg
K-VLJ006.jpg
K-VLJ007.jpg

Talon_1.jpg

Anyways, I love my jacket and that’s the point isn’t it!

D

Last edited:

Smithy

Looks absolutely gorgeous and the colour is beautiful. Perfect fit too!

Just one thing, in the photo of the back of the collar, is that some scuffing already and the topcoat wearing through? If that's a brand new jacket and it is that, seems to be a little soon for that kind of wear.

Skanstull

Perfect fit, looks great, and the leather is beautiful. Would be great to see a few pics in a couple of months when it is properly broken in.

Thanks for posting!

Dany McDonald

Smithy,

Yes there is little brushing at the edge of the collar, it's enhance by the brightness of the image. Lighting was not top when I made the photos hence the unbalance images.

But I also concur with other posts, about the topcoat giving the impression of being delicate. I believe the first stages of aging will be rather quick (reveling the lower coats), leaving lots of room for nicer grain and character. Time will tell...

On that note, the Jerky on my Aero has aging "accidents" here and there without that real graining effect. The leather was consider lower grade when Ken offered me the deal and I still like it a lot. It' more realistic than "time worn vfx" and I see the potential there waiting.

D

Smithy

Smithy,

Yes there is little brushing at the edge of the collar, it's enhance by the brightness of the image. Lighting was not top when I made the photos hence the unbalance images.

But I also concur with other posts, about the topcoat giving the impression of being delicate. I believe the first stages of aging will be rather quick (reveling the lower coats), leaving lots of room for nicer grain and character. Time will tell...

On that note, the Jerky on my Aero has aging "accidents" here and there without that real graining effect. The leather was consider lower grade when Ken offered me the deal and I still like it a lot. It' more realistic than "time worn vfx" and I see the potential there waiting.

D

Thanks Dany. I felt a bit of a rotter after posting my question as I didn't want to rain on your parade with your new jacket! Looks like it'll wear in quickly. It really is a lovely colour that russet that Platon makes these Dubows from.

Skanstull

Smithy,

D

Dany - have you posted pics of your Aero? Would be nice to compare the two.

Dany McDonald

Smithy,

That's fine with me, you bring an interesting angle to the post, and If it's there, it's open for discussion, isn’t it?

Really, I was more like man this guy has a freaking good eye for details!!! ;)

D

B-Man2

I really like that jacket with the color combination and the knits. The only suggestion I would offer to Platon………. (Platon if your lookin through your crystal ball and reading this post, its all good my man ;)) is the length of the jacket is short compared to the sizing of an original Dubow contract in that size. For example, I understand that he's only making the jacket in the original dimensions of a WWII Dubow contract jacket, no custom sizes. I'm cool with that, however his size 48 has a back length of 25.5 inches if I remember correctly. That length is too short for a size 48, in the original WWII dimensions of a Dubow issued A2. So P- Man if you're reading this, please lengthen that 48 to a 26 or 26.5 inch length. It will sell more jackets, I guarantee it:)

Saint-ex

Totally agree @B-Man2.

I have contacted Platon during my prospection for my first A-2. With my measurement he told me I needed a 50 which he's not making.
After @Changeling 's feedback I thought it might be possible on the 48 for me seeing the measurements he posted.
Compare to my quite new five star, pit to pit and shoulders could match. But 2 inches are missing on back length.

Kennyz

A stunner, Dany! Love the fit, color, leather, and the whole shebang. Congratulations.

Ken

Smithy

I really like that jacket with the color combination and the knits. The only suggestion I would offer to Platon………. (Platon if your lookin through your crystal ball and reading this post, its all good my man ;)) is the length of the jacket is short compared to the sizing of an original Dubow contract in that size. For example, I understand that he's only making the jacket in the original dimensions of a WWII Dubow contract jacket, no custom sizes. I'm cool with that, however his size 48 has a back length of 25.5 inches if I remember correctly. That length is too short for a size 48, in the original WWII dimensions of a Dubow issued A2. So P- Man if you're reading this, please lengthen that 48 to a 26 or 26.5 inch length. It will sell more jackets, I guarantee it:)

TBH if he doesn't want to change his patterns I really don't see why he doesn't do an ELC and offer Long and Extra Long options. It's not changing the patterns, just adding either an inch or an inch and a half to the body and sleeve lengths of the regular size patterns. He could upcharge a small fee for it to cover the extra leather used and he'd expand his potential market. It's a bit daft that he doesn't at least do this.

B-Man2

So true...sometimes these guys get something in their heads and you can’t get them to shake loose from it. Doesn’t make sense but that’s the way it goes :rolleyes: