• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another Goodwear to critique, Dubow in dark horsehide (Pics)

Just a note to say I did a complete review in the Review section. Also here is an original Dubow John is wearing. You can see how it resembles mine or mine resembles it.
Dubow_46_1.jpg

IMG20071102_20080416_0001.jpg

fedoralover

taikonaut

Regarding repros seen in films, while they are fine jackets in their own right I have to agree the details and looks are lacking compared to the real thing. In the film "Pearl Harbour" the shape of those A2 was all wrong, the dye looks tacky and the hide dont look right. Even in "Bands of Brothers" the A2s looks rather spiff, hide appears too smooth with no graining details and you could tell it is a repro. I think if anyone is planning to make a film that involve WW2 flight jackets they should seriously consider GW if they want authentic look.

taikonaut

Hi Fedoralover,
I notice you wore your watch outside the cuff, is that how it suppose to be worn during the war? I have seen a picture of a veteran wearing his watch the same way.

airfrogusmc

Thats the point, some were smooth, allot were grainy, some in between, some very thin hides and some a bit thicker. The 27798 contract was SO LARGE there were darker and lighter ones and some in between. Crowns, Talons and even a few bell shaped Kwiks found their way on'm.

taikonaut said:
Hi Fedoralover,
I notice you wore your watch outside the cuff, is that how it suppose to be worn during the war? I have seen a picture of a veteran wearing his watch the same way.

I have no idea, mine's just that way by happen stance. This jacket has a lot of inherent grain you can see waiting to pop out after some wear.

fedoralover

taikonaut

[quote
(BTW - nice back-handed swipe at both repro makers there)[/quote]

Fanboy mentality aside they were good jackets in their own right but they did not look authentic. Well both films were filmed around 2001 and it wont surprise me if either repro makers had made improvment since then.

greyhound52

Just a few words on some of the jackets you guys are talking about. First saw John's Dubow in person and yes it had thin HH. Very nice jacket BTW. Second, I have a RMNZ made with the HH used in their jackets from the Band of Brothers series (thanks to Bevan who sold it to me). What a fantastic jacket. Grainy and yes thin HH. Here are two pics of it.

dubow.jpg

geronimoage21.jpg

Finally, my GW Dubow YES THIS IS A TEST JACKET. John made this one to test out the Vermont espresso HH. Fantastic jacket. Great HH and NOS crown to boot. A lot like the original that John had
dubowflat.jpg

dubowcoll.jpg

One can admire any jacket made by any maker if it is a work of art like these two. Just my two cents.

Andrew

George, I recall you may have mentioned that the leather used on the BOB jackets was spray dyed HH from Horween? If that's so, then John's new spray finished HH that Fedora's jacket is made from is possibly the same kind of leather (also from Horween)? If it is then it's a fair bet these jackets are going to age like the BoB RM's which would be nice.

I love my RM but since it's made from the solid painted leather it's never going to wear like those older ones.
As I posted on the RM thread it's broken in beautifully but if you scratch the surface it simply takes off the top solid paint layer and exposes the grey bare leather. It will never have lighter undertones.

Leadsky said:
Looks like a very comfortable fit FL. Pls post some more shots sometime.

I was expecting the colour to be a bit darker, is this an accurate representation?

Here's a couple pics that show the color more accurately.
IMG20071102_20080417_0001_6.jpg

IMG20071102_20080417_0001_10.jpg

fedoralover

greyhound52

Leadsky said:
George, I recall you may have mentioned that the leather used on the BOB jackets was spray dyed HH from Horween? If that's so, then John's new spray finished HH that Fedora's jacket is made from is possibly the same kind of leather (also from Horween)? If it is then it's a fair bet these jackets are going to age like the BoB RM's which would be nice.

I love my RM but since it's made from the solid painted leather it's never going to wear like those older ones.
As I posted on the RM thread it's broken in beautifully but if you scratch the surface it simply takes off the top solid paint layer and exposes the grey bare leather. It will never have lighter undertones.

Andrew,
Pretty sure this is not Horween since Bevan told me it was a special Italian HH that RMNZ got for the BoB series. Grant had a RW which was left over unused wardobe. I had it great looking jacket but was a bit snug so I sold it.

Andrew

I may well have dreamt that up myself then :?

Your VE looks great and I was planning to get it but I understand it's not a guaranteed option now.

taikonaut

greyhound52 said:
Just a few words on some of the jackets you guys are talking about. First saw John's Dubow in person and yes it had thin HH. Very nice jacket BTW. Second, I have a RMNZ made with the HH used in their jackets from the Band of Brothers series (thanks to Bevan who sold it to me). What a fantastic jacket. Grainy and yes thin HH. Here are two pics of it.

Thanks Greyhound,
Your jacket from RMNZ looks far more convincing than it did in the Band of Brothers series if they are the same jacket? The costumer should has stress them a bit more I guess.

Chandler

fedoralover said:
Here's a couple pics that show the color more accurately.

The two images look like two different colors on my screen -- first is chocolate, second borders on russet. Trying to compare and contrast color over the internet is near to impossible with different computers, screens, settings, graphics cards.

Chandler