• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another Goodwear to critique, Dubow in dark horsehide (Pics)

Here's the Goodwear Dubow I ordered in seal horse. It's spray finished at horween's factory. I don't punish my jackets the way some do, so we'll see how it wears. I should get it in the mail in a day or so.
front_view-1.jpg

front_view_flat-2.jpg

fedoralover

airfrogusmc

Re: Another Goodwear to critique, Dubow in dark horsehide

Its a real beauty.

I'm just wear'n mine just been wear'n it every day ;) .

bseal

I like. It's not US Authentic but it'll do.

T-Bolt

Fedora,

That Dubow of yours is pretty much a clone of the one John will be making for me in the near future. Thanks for linking to all the photos....I have saved the bunch of them to "My Pictures". :D

I am very impressed with what I see. What a great looking jacket.......I can hardly wait for mine. I will be interested to see it on you after you get a chance to take photos of it. I am envious! :mrgreen:

Ted

T-Bolt said:
Fedora,
I will be interested to see it on you after you get a chance to take photos of it. I am envious! :mrgreen:
Ted

That is the scary part for me. I gave John the measurements and if they don't turn out right, I've got nobody to blame but myself. I did order this one a bit bigger than my Aero Real Deal as I wanted to be able to layer some clothes under it in the winter. But I've looked at enough pics of guys wearing them in the 40s to know that there was a huge variety in the way they fit.
Having been in the military, I also remember how things were issued as well. You stand in a line with a guy yelling in your ear, "you scumbag, tighten up that line!! You heard Me, Nuts to Butts and no talking!!" You took what you were issued and hoped it fit.

fedoralover

Andrew

FL, what was your behind your decision to choose this type of leather? After talking to John it's probably what i'm getting now as well. I suspect that it's going to look (even more) fantastic after a little wear.

airfrogusmc

I thought about going that way also but after seeing the vermont espresso in person I went with it. I also asked JC to use the grainest stuff he could find and he did. This seal HH looks beautiful to.

Leadsky said:
FL, what was your behind your decision to choose this type of leather? After talking to John it's probably what i'm getting now as well. I suspect that it's going to look (even more) fantastic after a little wear.

While I love the vermont espresso, I wanted something a little heavier. This may not be as grainy, but it will still show some great character with some wear.

fedoralover

airfrogusmc

fedoralover said:
Leadsky said:

While I love the vermont espresso, I wanted something a little heavier. This may not be as grainy, but it will still show some great character with some wear.

fedoralover

The seal is great stuff. Couldn't go wrong either way.

The leather is obviously important, but it's the combination of that and the cloning of the originals that I like about Johns repros. I told him I didn't want any modifications that weren't found on the originals at some point in time. Here's the offset pockets that were found on the Dubows. The one pic is from Johns website showing an original with an obvious Dubow pocket spacing. Mine is very close to matching it.
While not being an A-2 expert, I have collected antiques for over 30 years and vintage fedora's for around 10 and after a while you develop an eye for things that are original and things that aren't. You start to see what makes a great reproduction and what doesn't and it's always the same, whether it's furniture, clocks, Art deco slip shade light fixtures, fedora's or anything else---it's the details that makes one stand out over another. John does the details and that's what makes his look like they came out of a time warp from the past to the present.
060217-F-1234P-0172.jpg

darkdubowGW2.jpg

Here's a Lost Worlds Dubow to show the difference. I don't doubt LWs quality construction, but again the details in reproducing the Dubow is sadly lacking. The pics say it all.
LSTWRDSDUBOW2.jpg

fedoralover

Here's a couple of quick shots, one in black and white. The leather definitely has grain and with come out with some wear. It's lighter weight than my Aero Real Deal, which is what I wanted. It's extremely comfortable to wear right outa the box. Arm holes are high and the jacket does not ride up if I raise my arms. The measurements seemed to be just right for a comfortable fit. I'll get more shots later.
IMG20071102_20080416_0001_2.jpg

IMG20071102_20080416_0001.jpg

fedoralover

bseal

Stunning. I bet it was worth the wait. Wear it in good health.

P.S. Shaul Dover says he can offer you a trade for the Dubow if you like.

Andrew

Looks like a very comfortable fit FL. Pls post some more shots sometime.

I was expecting the colour to be a bit darker, is this an accurate representation?

Leadsky said:
Looks like a very comfortable fit FL. Pls post some more shots sometime.

I was expecting the colour to be a bit darker, is this an accurate representation?

I was standing in the direct sun and it did wash out the brown about a shade or so. So yes it is a bit darker than shown. It's chocolate brown, no red tones at all.

fedoralover