• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another Erich Hartmann flight jacket

Rory Schultz

That is pretty awesome Sergey, I had thought about doing the same with my collection but as time is going I am leaning towards getting rid of it all.

w1rc

I was of the understanding that Luftwaffe pilots were not issued uniform leather flight jackets. They could at their option privately purchase suitable jackets and that many bought motorcycle jackets and attached their insignia. There were several styles that were used. Is there any truth to this?

Kermit3D

As mulceber says, that's pretty much it.
There were leather jackets issued by the Luftwaffe, but which arrived in the last years of the war.
Civilian jackets were tolerated. The "hartmann" model was a popular "cyclist jacket" in France in the 1930s-1940s. Pilots liked it and a "fashion" effect appeared when some great aces adopted it.
It is a jacket that was also worn a lot by the French resistance.

43598b79-5f1c-4e84-ae65-f4f226e05c15-jpeg.40535

Enigma1938

The last jacket Rory showed here it's one of the officially issued models of luftwaffe leather flight jackets. It's called "Reichs defence jacket" and was part of a complete leather suit including leather flight pants. This one and a few flight jackets made of suede / shearling and cloth were the only ones who were produced for Luftwaffe staff only.

Rory Schultz

The Germans had variations of the cyclist jackets too. I have a nice collection of those also because I used to wear mine while riding my Indian motorcycle. But sadly, I have gotten fat and can not close it to zipper it up. It is only at my stomach, no where else. My daughter busted in on me while I was dressing and started laughing and pointing saying I looked like Mr. Potato Head. Big belly with skinny legs and arms sticking out! I look pathetic....lol

Rory Schultz

If I could get the motivation to get out of my easy chair, stop eating bon bons watching movies all day then I just might lose this belly....oh....wait....could I ...? Nah, f**k it. I have gotten too lazy.

Sergey65

The last jacket Rory showed here it's one of the officially issued models of luftwaffe leather flight jackets. It's called "Reichs defence jacket" and was part of a complete leather suit including leather flight pants. This one and a few flight jackets made of suede / shearling and cloth were the only ones who were produced for Luftwaffe staff only.

Yes sir. Here they are these ‘Reichsverteidigun’pants. Original LW suspenders are harder to find than RV pants ;(
7D041649-DB73-4694-81F7-08012C794617.jpeg
3B540CAE-C1F8-43D8-A29B-3F21D079B544.jpeg
3B540CAE-C1F8-43D8-A29B-3F21D079B544.jpeg
D487FD1B-375A-411C-ADE9-0060AC26D843.jpeg

Pilot

Please … not trying to offend anyone but this looks like a “Parts or Pieces Jacket “ that was sewn together with the dark and light panels and sleeves on the jacket .
Yes confirmed!
I only use NOS or recycled hides, zips, liners, glass buttons etc…All materials are over 80 years old. Hadware is original Luftwaffe NOS material.
All jackets coming out of the shop are made this way since quite some time…
No more new hides nor materials.. all NOS or reclaimed.
Next phase will be leather treatment to give patina..and „homogenity“ :cool:
Stay tuned..

Last edited:

Kermit3D

Very nice jacket for sure!
The attention to detail is fabulous.

Brice, if I may ask again : can you show us more about the clothes you make ?
Do you have a list of garments to share with us ? There are cyclist jackets, "reichsverteidigung" jackets, shirts, ...

They're always beautiful garments, and it's very frustrating to see them appear in bits and pieces (and I think that's also the intended effect).

You may say there's no one interested in this on this forum... but I'm sure there are plenty of us who want to know more.
So many secrets ! ;)

Pilot

Hello G.
Happy to share with those who are interested in buying...
Apologies if I dont want to see my photos all over the net and the cheapies using them to copy or sell their cr..p..
I only make Hartmann’s, Reichsverteidigungs-Jacken, Kanaljacke Sommer blau and Luftwaffen- Diensthemden blau.
Thanks for your understanding.
Happy to answer via pm.

Kermit3D

Hello G.
Happy to share with those who are interested in buying...
Apologies if I dont want to see my photos all over the net and the cheapies using them to copy or sell their cr..p..
I only make Hartmann’s, Reichsverteidigungs-Jacken, Kanaljacke Sommer blau and Luftwaffen- Diensthemden blau.
Thanks for your understanding.
Happy to answer via pm.

It's good enough that you've shared a "list" of the clothes you make.
Many thanks

Enigma1938

I have never seen a original LW jacket with green RiRi zips, so are they of civil origin?
And @Pilot , can you please show me a closeup of the collar / the material that you've used.
IMHO I would have chosen a more faded / purple collar color to better match the overall condition of this jacket.

Rory Schultz

You really do some next level professional work Pilot. Two dead give aways are the lining and varied color of leather and color of lining, on all of mine they are a silvery grey lining. None of mine have the blue lining May I make a suggestion? The pre-existing sites that make the reproductions are in my eyes are awful. You really should contact the Film Commission or Producers to ;et them know that you make these. I have seen a great deal of WW2 films where they are so inaccurate. Many collectors and historian sticklers like me are always griping when seeing an inaccurate scene in a movie. I am pretty sure many others on here have this same gripe.....will be watching a film and yell, " Oh that's wrong, this is wrong"....then gripe the whole way through the movie! You would be quite surprised on what the film studios pay for these. I do not know if you already have any arrangements with the film industry or not. I remember discussing a few years back with an actor friend that stated it was an area that the AMERICAN costume depts are lacking knowledge in. Yes, there are reference materials but it is YOUR techniques and accuracy that makes yours an asset. Take advantage of that, it can't hurt to let them know of your work. Some of the German ones like Bavaria Film GmbH/ Bavaria Filmstadt have massive libraries and references but still I have seen some mistakes even in the T.V. series Das Boot.

Great work and my .02 suggestion

BTW what do you use to give the Patina and do you buff your leather?

Last edited: