• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another Erich Hartmann flight jacket

Rory Schultz

I was doing some reading about the Kriegsmarine and came across a photo of U-boat Officer wearing the " Hartmann Jacket" on a mission.

By the way, I could not find a Kriegsmarine section on here. Oh I forgot to mention that I saw another photo of a U-boat Captain wearing the pattern 37 denim jacket like mine where he left the original cloth shoulder straps but cut a small line into the strap and inserted the sew in type boards on top of it. But in this photo with this Hartmann leather jacket this officer cut a line in the leather and inserted the sew in shoulder boards.
15 kriegsmarine officer wearing a Hartmann jacket.jpg

Last edited:

Pilot

Hi Rory,
long time...happy to read you.
Hope you are fine and in good health.
The am jacket ( Ron Erbe’s ) is a child or girly jacket with a tiny 33” chest size.
Yes, you are right, the liner ( correct texture though) is a retrofit made by an amateur in a wrong way and in a too baggy size.
As usual the ( rare and precious) front buckle is missing.
I have a few original pre 1945 front buckles for sale, even with the jacket sewn on it:p:D, but also one buckle without a jacket attached ...( price already discussed).

Last edited:

Rory Schultz

I am hanging in there Pilot. I have been very ill for a longtime. In and out of the hospital blah blah blah. I can not die yet, I have to stay alive until my 14 yr old daughter is old enough to stand on her own feet. I am terrified I am going to croak before she is ready because she has no one to go to, she will be alone. I have had full custody of her since she was an infant and have raised her alone.

Jeesh another Ron Erbe! The guy has so many aliases. He would be better off just listing them as authentic and rare moto bike jackets at a reasonable price instead of claiming Luftwaffe and price raping. There are far more moto collectors.

I did come across a pattern 37 denim BDU jacket used by U-boat crews. I have been experimenting dressing it out to see which looks better. here is a pic. I can't make up my mind on the rank that I wish to make it. I have NCO up to Captain shoulder boards but I did not want to destroy the existing straps made on it. So I am leaving that untouched for the moment. Also, all of my KM visors and side caps are NCO. I do not own KM officers visors, I can't remember. I quit taking pain killers 6 months ago (did not work anymore) and it is like coming out of a fog and my memory is very fuzzy. Here is a photo of my current project

20200507_214107.jpg

Last edited:

B-Man2

Hi Rory
Not looking to hi jack your thread , but since you have an interest in kriegsmarine jackets, I thought I’d share some photos of a post war one I was fortunate enough to purchase from Pilot .
Cheers

705A1276-C875-477A-9957-AAF4675733DA.jpeg
B9B0BB9C-DADB-48B0-B5D6-E3F11397372B.jpeg
936A9F9D-2741-4139-920C-7065511E3DCA.jpeg
21022DB4-2E05-464D-81F9-8DE84856E652.jpeg
7DEC449C-46BC-4FA6-B3AC-A38336EEB520.jpeg
1E52E7F1-988A-4D4C-9F2D-504BFB9E04D7.jpeg

Pilot

Nice stuff you have Rory.
Sorry to read about your trouble.
I am also collecting U-Boot items, essentially uniforms, binoculars and watches/chronos used in the KM and U-Boot warfare during WW1and 2.
Anyway, this forum is not the right place to display these things.
Stay safe and healthy Rory.

Rory Schultz

I am stumped about location. Are you saying that 3rd reich items are not allowed on this forum? If so, I did not know that or just could not remember the rules. Like aforementioned I am coming out of a memory fog.

Nice jacket B-man I have one similar but it is really short hanging in my closet and I do not remember what it was for or what period. It says Roth and i believe it is 1950's Also, I do not understand hijacking a thread? I thought everyone could participate in a thread or is that something new?

Last edited:

Pilot

No Rory, did not say that...
Just not the purpose of this forum...unless jacket related ( hiding blurring the swastika).

B-Man2

I just went and looked I was wrong it says Raka KG U 59 I have no clue what it means
Hi jacking a thread is when you change the subject matter of the initial thread posted by another member. For instance.
you posted about Luftwaffe jackets and I cut into your discussion and posted about Kriegsmarine jackets . That sent the thread off into another direction.

Rory Schultz

Oh I see, I never thought about that...it did not bother me either about hijacking. I am used to having a normal conversation in live mode where the human tendency is to get sidetracked. It will be hard for me to keep focused because my brain seems to function on numerous levels at the same time hence wandering to other subjects. This is going kill me because I will be in a discussion on one thought in a thread then think of something else and have to go in search of the thread that discusses that other thought, then again start having to run off further again in search of differing threads to fulfill the newer thoughts. Jeeesh, then I will have forgotten what my initial thought was from the beginning when trying to follow up on all my tangent thinking! Damn, see what you have gone and done now? I have a headache! Quote by Charlton Heston from Planet of the Apes ( "Damn you, damn you all to hell!") LOL LOL LOL

Last edited:

B-Man2

Oh I see, I never thought about that...it did not bother me either about hijacking. I am used to having a normal conversation in live mode where the human tendency is to get sidetracked. It will be hard for me to keep focused because my brain seems to function on numerous levels at the same time hence wandering to other subjects. This is going kill me because I will be in a discussion on one thought in a thread then think of something else and have to go in search of the thread that discusses that other thought, then again start having to run off further again in search of differing threads to fulfill the newer thoughts. Jeeesh, then I will have forgotten what my initial thought was from the beginning when trying to follow up on all my tangent thinking! Damn, see what you have gone and done now? I have a headache! Quote by Charlton Heston from Planet of the Apes ( "Damn you, damn you all to hell!") LOL LOL LOL
Hahaha
Think of it this way

0292CF2F-D465-4435-BB0F-DEC150EA6633.jpeg

Or this way........,:D
AE3D9069-E2BF-4F62-B895-3A497AE225A1.gif

Rory Schultz

I have tried to find out info on this photo as well thru one of the Luftwaffe Forums and it seems no one knows from that site either. It seems it is one of those obscure photos that its history is lost somewhere......except to scammers!
I know when scammers try to use this photo to push some pimped out jacket they use some of these photos as their claim. Saying, "this is so and so pilot from blah blah unit and there he is wearing the very jacket that I just happen to have that I will sell to you for the mother-raping price of Ka-ching $$$$ and to top it off, I will throw in a COA written up by one of my scammer buddies...I mean the expert authority on the yada yada yada." Any time, you see these type photos that you can not get a google image search off of it, then view it with suspicion. This photo is one of the most used photo by the scammers on Fleabay!

Lord Flashheart

I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this or even of interest but was wandering round an antiques centre near me and saw this photo. I took a snap out of curiosity more than anything and don't know more than what you see as these jackets aren't really of interest to me. But I reckoned it might be of interest here.I'm afraid I didn't look further at the time so I don't know who the pilot is. Apologies if it's not interesting or in the wrong thread.
IMG_1445.jpeg

Smithy

My wife - who is now usually completely bored with nearly all of my flying jackets in all their varying incantations (hardly surprising after putting up with nearly 20 years of this shit) - is very keen on the 1930/40s French cyclist/private purchase Luftwaffe jackets and especially the "Hartmann" model with the two small lower button pockets and two breast zip pockets. They're the only leather "flying jackets" that she actually makes positive noises about. Everything else she says that I already have it or a variation of it :)

ausreenactor

My wife - who is now usually completely bored with nearly all of my flying jackets in all their varying incantations (hardly surprising after putting up with nearly 20 years of this shit) - is very keen on the 1930/40s French cyclist/private purchase Luftwaffe jackets and especially the "Hartmann" model with the two small lower button pockets and two breast zip pockets. They're the only leather "flying jackets" that she actually makes positive noises about. Everything else she says that I already have it or a variation of it :)
The ELC Hartmann is the ONLY jacket 'normal' people have ever commented positively on. A-2s generally only get 'Top Gun' , 'Fonzie' or other references.. The 'Top Gun' is the worst....