• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another Erich Hartmann flight jacket

Pilot

520F4BA6-DF9E-42A3-AD7A-A54FC31B70CF.jpeg
C43B04A2-E074-4E14-9A82-8F42A3A084D6.jpeg
Just got this one...
An issued version ( this one not to Erich ...) and also called Reich’s Defence jacket...Reichsverteidigungsjacke.
They were issued in grey, russet and seal...

B-Man2

Pilot;
That's one I haven't seen before.
Great original find.
Were you able to learn anything about the history of the jacket or its previous owner?
Also ... Was this predominantly a Luftwaffe jacket or was it issued to the other branches of the military?

Pilot

Pilot;
That's one I haven't seen before.
Great original find.
Were you able to learn anything about the history of the jacket or its previous owner?
Also ... Was this predominantly a Luftwaffe jacket or was it issued to the other branches of the military?
Thx, no ID of the former owner. These jackets were only issued to fighter pilots, not to other crews, not to other armed divisions.
Most of these jackets were even wired...heated....they had matching pants, boots and gloves ...also heated/wired. Late war versions were not wired anymore, nor had they metal sleeve zippers, nor metal fasteners...all ( zips and fasteners, hence buttons) made out of syntethic material only. The leather is dear skin or pig’s skin, but extremly nice and robust.

Last edited:

johnwayne

Wow, if you can dismiss everything nasty about the politics of the Third Riech and its corporate identity you have to admit the likes of Hartmann and his peers look so cool. Great jacket, great find!!

B-Man2

After a few more looks I have to admit the jackets cool but I'm not a fan of that collar. It looks like a clown collar on Hartmann.
A simple pointed collar would have looked much better.
What material is that?

Pilot

Wow, if you can dismiss everything nasty about the politics of the Third Riech and its corporate identity you have to admit the likes of Hartmann and his peers look so cool. Great jacket, great find!!
Thx. well said.

Pilot

3990F9A1-2B04-4B3C-8FAF-7E8F0CA185D3.jpeg
After a few more looks I have to admit the jackets cool but I'm not a fan of that collar. It looks like a clown collar on Hartmann.
A simple pointed collar would have looked much better.
What material is that?
Large wide round edged collars were the design of this time...look at all allied flight jackets and other fleece jackets used by US crews and mechanics.
The collar is made out of a kind of blueish felt/velvet and leather backing...keep in mind, no more natural ressources available in bombed to rubble, surrounded Germany...but it looks cool.

BeerSnob

Pilot,
Just joined the group. What a magnificent find. Stunning jacket brimming with history. Without revealing your sources, did you have a connection? Anyway, I had no idea there were others like me, who just can't get enough of vintage leather jackets. Who knew?

Thomas Koehle

Awesome jacket - still like B-man2 pointed out collar looks somehow "funny" but back then it was more about warmth rather than style