• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another Church M-422a Rolls Off The Line, Outstanding USN Goat

Skyhawk

Just completed another Church for a customer. Our new Goatskin is a big win and I am very happy with the grain and topcoat gloss.
IMG_20230120_162503051-PhotoRoom.png-PhotoRoom.png

IMG_20230120_162524479.jpg

IMG_20230120_162614634.jpg
IMG_20230120_162552462.jpg

For those interested in the fine details, our repro Talon M-42 compared to an original:
IMG_20230119_123844982-PhotoRoom.png-PhotoRoom.png

Last edited:

ZuZu

I like that the little leather flaps along the zipper COVER the zipper! That looks right.

Pocket buttons are usually much lower on an ETC. closer to the pocket flap point.

Skyhawk

Goatskin looks like an improvement but what's with the blondie mouton collar? Looks strange with a spankin new jacket.
Usually takes years for mouton to bleach out to that color.
The blond collar is on the jacket because of the fact that the mouton used for a number of Church jackets, were known to fade to a very light blond color. Like this:
Church-Front-02-BL.jpg

Sure the leather is new, but it does already have nice grain and character. With a little wear and use, it will break in, form arm creases, and look more vintage. The collar is already there on the fade. when the jacket catches up a bit it will look great. This antique mouton is not just blond, it is blond that actually faded from rust brown. You can see the darker color down deep in the fur.
Besides, it's pretty unique to have a M-422a that is historically correct with a blond collar.

I also have rust brown, or dark brown mouton for those who don't like the blond.

Skyhawk

I like that the little leather flaps along the zipper COVER the zipper! That looks right.

Pocket buttons are usually much lower on an ETC. closer to the pocket flap point.
Yes you are right about the buttons. There has been some variance there with position. My guys got it right sometimes in the past. This time they are higher.
Thanks for that, I will get with the boys to make sure those stay lower down on the flap.

Grant

The blond collar is on the jacket because of the fact that the mouton used for a number of Church jackets, were known to fade to a very light blond color. Like this:
Nah I disagree. It's highly unusual for find a WWII USN jacket with a blondie collar, maybe an occasional 7823 series G-1. Not that it means anything, of the couple dozen M422 / M422a's/ AN6552 / ANJ3a's I've handled/owned over the years, none have had such a pronounced blond color. If your customers want it, I guess that's their prerogative.