Another AN-J3

Discussion in 'Repros' started by Earloffunk, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Earloffunk

Earloffunk Active Member

Thanks to a hint in some other thread (which I could not find anymore) I took a closer look at Aero´s sale section and pulled the trigger on a used AN-J3... I think it is a nice addition to my BK one and it is a little different from BK as it has no windflap (wich gives it a nice look) and has a Rayon lining instead of cotton. Also the leather is different from BK. It looks more natural. The sleeves are a little bit longer and seem to end in A-2 style cuffs whereas the BK has the longer Navy cuffs (am I correct?). The body of the jacket on the other hand seems to be a tad shorter (or maybe it´s because of the cuffs and longer sleeves?= The leather is not yet broken in but has some minor superficial scratches. The leather is not as soft as BK´s and appears to be a little lighter in weight. Will post pictures of the jacket when worn later on. In the meanwhile here is a first impression: M9JMJXqATMa%7f0S2YSDwQ.jpg U0hj1Kq3RHanNrTh1DAQMA.jpg

bseal, dujardin, Kennyz and 2 others like this.
  2. Peter Graham

Peter Graham Well-Known Member

I really like that. The shape of the collar is beautiful. Very practical jacket.

Earloffunk likes this.
  3. Earloffunk

Earloffunk Active Member

... been wearing it during lunch break in my office. It´s going back to Aero - the sleeves are just too long. The cuffs disappear in the leather sleeves. :-( Otherwise it´s a great jacket.

4. Miles

Miles Active Member

Roll them up! That’s what the ANJ is designed for![​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kennyz likes this.
  5. Earloffunk

Earloffunk Active Member

... wrong AN-J, if I am right. Would look silly on an AN-J3 (my 5 cents). ;-)

6. Miles

Miles Active Member

Ah I see now that the storm cuffs are at the end of the sleeve not recessed. You’re right

Earloffunk likes this.
  7. Skip

Skip Well-Known Member

Hi Earl,

Is that Horsehide? I did see 2 size 42's on Aeros sale page but they were goat, I was going to press the button but I already have one in the works. (how many jackets does a man need :cool:). Yeah I wouldn't be happy with those cuffs, You can get better a2 cuffs these days. and they didn't all come with the Navy ribrack knits, but I think they sit better with them, you can get quality knits from GW, I've just had mine changed over to rib-rack on my BK AN-J-3. I originally got the knits off Steve Sellers a while back.

Its a shame, you could always shorten the sleeves but then you loose the taper. what size is it?

8. Earloffunk

Earloffunk Active Member

Hi Matt, it’s a 42 and it’s goat. One can never have enough jackets...

Skip and s4rmark like this.
  9. Ken at Aero Leather

Ken at Aero Leather Well-Known Member

Re Knit. I thought the Urban Myth that GW knits are better than Aero had been put to rest some time ago
    Goodwear and Aero have been using the same knit suppliers for years

10. Earloffunk

Earloffunk Active Member

Just to make on thing very clear: the problem with the jacket for me is NOT the knits!

The sleeves are too long for my arms. This makes the knits disappear into the sleeves.

The jacket itself is very nice, it just does not fit right.

11. Skip

Skip Well-Known Member

12. Miles

Miles Active Member

I love my ribbed Lost Worlds knits. I think they do cuffs for $60

13. Earloffunk

Earloffunk Active Member

the problem is NOT the knits/cuffs or whatever you would like to call it.

There is NO NEED to replace the knits. The knits are great!!! As is the whole jacket. It’s how it fits on my body.

Maybe my English is not good enough to express what I would like to say. :-/

bseal and Skip like this.
  14. Miles

Miles Active Member

Jacket still looking right with the knits folding in. Wouldn’t worry about it!

15. M3Cavalry

M3Cavalry Member

This talk is making me wish my BK ANJ3 would hurry up and appear.

A shame the services didn’t standardize this design. I never would have known it existed if not for you guys.

16. Skip

Skip Well-Known Member

Earl, your capacity to string a sentence together in English is flawless. It's just the vagueness of Internet conversation that has the rest of us on another planeto_O. Hopefully ta get a laugh out of it, I often do

Clark, I'm just as impatient as you my man, hurry up BK.

Yeah I think they're the best of the army navy intermediate jackets and I too wish they were more prolific. Finding an original is like findin hens teeth

Earloffunk likes this.