• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ankle knife

Edward

be careful to not unnecessarily inflate your dinghy! Lol!!!!!

27E4BF99-D6AA-4C18-95A8-FD4DE92BAAF4.jpeg

Pilot

Do not wear commercial polaroid glasses :)
Please dont laugh at an accidentally inflated dinghy.
Was lucky/unluky in 1983 in a twin seater Alphajet...on a check ride over Salon de Provence/ South of France...where we sat on our dinhghy ( emergency survival pack) ...mine inflated all of a sudden with no reason...no fun...face pressed/pushed onto the canopy until I got my survival knive to “stab” the “rubber intruder”...Luckily it did not push the (twin) controls in an non- manageable position. The inflation is happening in a fraction of seconds......thanks to Guenau and Co. for their great flight helmets...

Flightengineer

I have been flying for a long time and understand everything perfectly, there are no trifles in flying.
I can also tell you a lot of stories, but it was simply funny by the ban on polarized commercial glasses in those early years, although I also understand the reason for this prohibition.
Just in our present glass cockpit's reality it sounds very actual :)

Last edited:

Pilot

I have been flying for a long time and understand everything perfectly, there are no trifles in flying.
I can also tell you a lot of stories, but it was simply funny by the ban on polarized commercial glasses in those early years, although I also understand the reason for this prohibition.
Just in our present glass cockpits reality it sounds very actual :)
Sure you have a lot, happy to read if you agree to share a few of them ( in the pilot thread of course)

Brettafett

Please dont laugh at an accidentally inflated dinghy...
OK, this did not happen in an aircraft, thank goodness... but when I was doing my Yachtmaster, we were in a bit of a storm rounding Cape Point... and a fellow pupil, felt sick, leaned head over the side between the deck and a rail and got sick, as he was splurging as his life vest suddenly inflated, squeezing him between deck and rail... No knife... We were all laughing so hard, trying to free him... then I lurched... Unexpectedly... With nowhere to go, because of the position I'd taken to help free said crew member, I ended up splurging over everybody!
There you go. I am not perfect. First and last time I ever got sick anywhere, doing anything, incl spinning Cessnas over the Australian and South African countrysides.

Edward

Damn Brettafett! That’s F’ing hilarious!!!! Best story on here yet!

OK, this did not happen in an aircraft, thank goodness... but when I was doing my Yachtmaster, we were in a bit of a storm rounding Cape Point... and a fellow pupil, felt sick, leaned head over the side between the deck and a rail and got sick, as he was splurging as his life vest suddenly inflated, squeezing him between deck and rail... No knife... We were all laughing so hard, trying to free him... then I lurched... Unexpectedly... With nowhere to go, because of the position I'd taken to help free said crew member, I ended up splurging over everybody!
There you go. I am not perfect. First and last time I ever got sick anywhere, doing anything, incl spinning Cessnas over the Australian and South African countrysides.

Pilot

Yeah, better pilot than a sailor...
p.s. Stays on the forum...
We had the survival knife straped left-hand side in our survival-vest...hence "quite" easy to grab, even if your head/face/neck is pressed onto the canopy (unwanted dinhghy inflation)...all this at approx. 350 Knots cruising speed...or on a hairy final or take off.
The old Version with the knife on the ankle...huhuhuh...

dmar836

Great stories. Spinning never bothered me much but I did have inner ear issues after a spritely RV-8 ride. Didn’t get sick but it started a strange disoriented cold lasting about 2 weeks. Friends said it was a different issue. Held it together during a Pitts S2 ride including rolling outside turns. I was concerned with that one as I was about to fly XC somewhere and didn’t want to be out of it.
Other than seatbelts, I can’t see me in anything needing a knife.
Dave

B-Man2

Most of the sheath knives issued to flyers generally weren't for use inside the cockpit but they were issued as survival knives to use after bailout and landing. They used them for all of the things you might imagine, from building a shelter to fileting a fish.

Monsoon

The reason is not because USAAF or USN was against "Fashion"... but polarized sunglases make it difficult to read certain displays/lights and instruments in the cockpit...
Nowadays (commercial and military) pilots have the same ban.

Military does, too. I wore commercial shades once in theater and I had difficulties seeing out the jump windows. I believe it was a coating the AF put on them for anti-laser.