• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ANJ3 in the wild

ZuZu

Pre-apologies if this photo has been discussed before. Does this photo not show an ANJ3 out "in the wild" so to speak? Here's a crew and one of the guys is wearing what seems to be an actual moutonless ANJ3. Another guy has a civvie jacket so maybe they went to a leather jacket store somewhere and got non issue jackets. The ANJ3 looks pretty issue to me however. Have you guys talked about this image before?

2952248895_c9ae82b0da_b.jpg

Micawber

Patches are 570th BS of the 390th BG H stationed at Framingham / Parham July '43 - Aug '45.
As far as my memory serves the 390th BG were not part of Operation Casey Jones that took place immediately post VE Day.The aim of of the operation was photo surveying Europe. I believe that task was undertaken by the 305th & 306th BG's who were assigned to the 98th Combat Wing.

Erwin

It is a great picture indeed, there is information on the picture regarding the date and squadron number. That would be great to have a separate thread [maybe this one] for historical images of ANJ3 jackets in use or collections [no repro or fake ones].

Micawber

It is a great picture indeed, there is information on the picture regarding the date and squadron number. That would be great to have a separate thread [maybe this one] for historical images of ANJ3 jackets in use or collections [no repro or fake ones].

The info in pencil left side border is pertinent. The typed info top right is when the image was received by what unit in 1947. That info does not indicate the actual unit depicted and when.

ZuZu

Yes, I've seen it before. I believe it's a post war photo. They look much more relaxed than the typical wartime crew photos! LOLs
Grant- I went through a cursory sampling of my "Crew Photos" folders and you're right- most crews look far more sober. e.g.:

b26_28_Nick's Chick_crew.jpg

However a small proportion look pretty relaxed. e.g.:
Image_0003.jpg