• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aniline Dyed A-2

johnwayne

Cor blimey, nearly dozed off reading all that but I used to own an ELC 1401 that had all the attributes described for veg tanning and never liked it. It wasn't supple, was uncomfortable as it rode up when sitting down and yes could almost stand up on its own - also looked like blotting paper when caught in the rain! Plus to echo what I've said here before re 1401's I never liked the collar shape but had it been chrome tanned and a softer leather it may well have stayed a keeper rather than turn me off the 1401 contract forever!! Totally unlike any other A2's I'd encountered but not too dissimilar from some I've seen/ handled at ELC's marquee at airshows in recent years - all a bit shiney too.

jeremiah

very interesting reading.
My new BK dubow which is not new, but an older jacket I recently picked up on ebay. Its got a pigment finish on the veg tanned HH. wonderful jacket and just about 2 hours ago I had it on while working in the shed and blimey if I didn't rub up against a protruding nail head sticking out of one of the 2x4s. I took jacket off and observed where it had scratched and wow, if this had been aniline goat or anything I would imagine it would have done a whole lot more than just make a small mark which just added a little character to it. Like I said in my intro post with it, its tough as nails. Well, at least it came in a close second to that nail in the shed.

jeremiah

Seeing that I had a jacket which had a pigment finish, I wanted to get one that was anailine dyed regardless of how close it was or not to the originals. I found an ELC monarch which I have on the way to me. Got it new for less than the retail price.
Was reading this again as I remembered the “warhorse” was mentioned here.
With regards to if warhorse is “pull up” leather or not, I have yet to examine my ELC, but I work with leather and here are a few facts about “pull up” aka “oil tanned” leather I do know about.

1. Oil tanned leather resists water for the most part. So it is less likely to soak up rain drops and it would take a lot for that to happen. Over time this will change of course as the leather breaks in and folds and creases open pores wider allowing for water to soak in easier.(but usually only around the creases)

2. Pull up or oil tanned leather will normally have a waxy or oily hand to it. If this is how the ELC warhorse feels when new then maybe it was treated with an oil tanning process in combination to the veg tanning.

3. Oil tanned leather will certainly Patina. But it will become smooth and shiny too as the waxed and oils are “polished” by wear and usage. I made a wallet out of some nice oil tanned leather and the thing has a nice patina from continual use and being in my back pocket for a few years now. But, where it differed is there was never any sign of rain or water stains after it was wet.

4. Pull up leather is easy to spot by pressing up under a piece of the leather. You will notice where your finger presses up the color of the leather is displaced. The color or dye is now in the oils and this distortion caused a lighter shade of leather to be present where agitated. As you work the leather the oils will return to their place quicker but will also slowly work back into the displaced area and return to the previous darker color.

I also made a tote bag out of the same leather for my wife and she carries that around and abuses it. It’s often subjected to rain and snow. No stains or evidence it was ever wet. Maybe if ELC’s warhorse is pull up lesther, it’s a different kind of oil pull?

Then there is CXL or Horween Chromexcel leather. I have a pair of Alden Indy boots in natural CXL here they are after years of service.
They now soak up water like crazy. But they look great. They are chrome tanned though. I think warhorse is veg tanned.

https://imgur.com/a/GTRDK

Last edited: