• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AN-J-3

mulceber

Pretty sure the label is from a pair of either A-3 or A-5 flight trousers (which would have been paired with B-3 or B-6 jackets). 13616 was a massive contract for shearling garments, including B-3 jackets/A-3 trousers, B-6 jackets/A-5 trousers, and AN-J-4 jackets/AN-T-35 trousers.
One more anj-3 with a non-standard feature, I haven't seen a hanging loop attached to the external part of any flight jacket before [but I a noob regarding flight jackets].
Oh yeah, that is odd! Definitely not on mine. I've seen some early shearling jackets that had the external hanger loop, but not an intermediate flight jacket. Neat detail!

Last edited:

Spitfireace

Yeah, as you said, it's a difficult question, and there isn't much info here. We know the AN-J-3 shows up in the Class 13 Catalog, and we have the AAF document making the A-2 "limited standard issue" and listing the AN-J-3 as its replacement (see below)...but we almost never see photos of pilots wearing an AN-J-3. o_O Every once in a while we see an odd photo of a pilot wearing one, but it could always be a private purchase jacket - Willis & Geiger, for example, seems to have kept making AN-J-3s after the AAF pulled out of the project and sold the jackets to Abercrombie & Fitch. I think the only reason we're pretty sure the one I posted above was issued to someone, as opposed to being a private purchase jacket, is that it doesn't have a label (either a spec label or a commercial label), which is consistent with other military AN-J-3s that have turned up.
a8efa9a9-b5d0-4c08-95f2-e15326f3f07c-jpeg.71134
Hap said no more leather. Then it was nylon, and when it was found that might melt in an accident it was turned to nomex. Or arimid.