• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

An Idiot's Guide on How To Screw Up a Hookless Zipper

Ken at Aero Leather

Used properly Hookless zippers are without a doubt the best zipper on the market
However they treat fools with contempt
Fail to properly engage the pin into the box and the teeth immediately above the pin will get buggered up,
Engage the pin properly and these zippers will last a lifetime, no fraying of cloth, no metal pu;lling away from the cloth

Your choice

Here's how NOT to, one photo to show once and for all how not to do get dressed in the morning (Photo is of a brand new fresh out of the box A-2 Not an Aero BTW)

How to damage a Hookless.jpg

Last edited:

Shropshire-lad

Had a similar problem years ago with a motorcycle leather jacket...Belstaf.... didn’t properly engage the zip pin properly and it came open on the motorway! Now I always check....every day is a school day....

MikeyB-17

It’s a shame manufacturers moved away from this style of encasing the bottom of the zip in metal. Irvins have the same thing. We’ve all had zips of later design knackered because the male side tape wore out-no doubt easier and cheaper to manufacture, but a retrograde step, IMHO.

Silver Surfer

Good post ken. It would seem that impatience Is the cause for not aligning the male side with the female side properly.......then oops. I have had original hookless zippers in 30s jackets and they were the strongest most durable part of the jacket. the hookless zipper on my 1990s elc Werber has never failed, or given me any problems. All that. Plus I just like the way they look.

B-Man2

Ken
Appreciate this type of information. Not something you give much thought to .. until the zip has pulled apart at the bottom end and you’re trying to take your jacket off by pulling it over your head like a t-shirt.
:oops:Of course this never happened to me . I’m just telling the story :rolleyes:
;)

ausreenactor

Have placed the male side in too shallow once with the Talon on my BR Aero.. it zipped up but did not want to unzip at the base. Pulled the jacket over my head with some help from two helpful kids who don't habitually close their bedroom doors. Had to wriggle and jiggle carefully to get it separated. Scary times...

Double check that zipper every time now. Teeth are quite sharp too...

Ken at Aero Leather

Soviet jackets ?

There are a couple of threads on this on VLJ

Two styles are exclusive to our Russian stockist......currently a tad on hold due to Covid and awaiting replica Soviet Zippers from Japan as the restored ones are running out.
The other one is the Lease-Lend jacket made by Aero Beacon for the Soviet Air Force during WW2................they haveTalon Zippers
These will be available direct from Aero very soon

ties70

Sorry to hi-jack the thread...

... but I would like to know if Hookless zippers were ever used for B-3 jackets?

I might have found a source for them, and would love to use one for a future project...but maybe putting one on an early WWII or sligthly pre-war B-3 jacket is totally off, then I should better reconsider.

I think ELC has used them for their SFAD B-3, but besides that...?

Any ideas?

Thanks, Ties

zoomer

The early ELC repros used soft metal, and soft tape too. Much could go wrong. One had the slider come apart, the other got a couple of teeth pulled out.

Ken at Aero Leather

The early B-3 jackets all used Grommit zippers
On this subject, anyone know where i can find pics of really early B-3s, the ones with the extra strap on the left chest?
I know there are pics on VLJ somewhere

2BM2K

... but I would like to know if Hookless zippers were ever used for B-3 jackets?

Hookless or Talon?

The riveted zippers on B3's were probably Talon. The name Hookless is used on reproductions due to copy wright.