• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

An A-2 jacket ate my shirt!

Hi everyone

Does anyone else have this problem with A-2 jackets: the rough crown zipper rubs against your shirt, causing damage and piling to the shirt?

I was wearing my A-2 with an expensive Italian polo shirt, which has a much more delicate fabric... I noticed the damage before it ruined the shirt at least.

This seems to happen most when the jacket is unzipped.

It's a shame because I want to wear my A-2 with a collared shirt and tie but I don't have the confidence to do so because of this issue.

However, one solution might be to wear a light scarf underneath.

Happy to hear other peoples experiences!

Smithy

I've worn my A-2s with a collared shirt before with no drama, including polo shirts but saying that an A-2 is a piece of flying kit from the middle of the last century and therefore as such, it's not specifically designed to be worn with delicate, fancy pieces of clothing under it, it's designed to be worn by airmen under combat situations 80 years ago.

I'd use a bit of commonsense, if you have some special shirt or hyper expensive one, maybe keep in mind what the jacket you are wearing over the top was designed to do in the first place. That's not to say you can't wear a fancy, expensive, delicate shirt under an A-2 but keeping in mind this was a piece of military kit and not a tuxedo jacket nor a blazer, maybe that's the best way to approach it.

...................and here was me thinking I'd heard of every possible zipper problem
I'm assuming this one of the crinky Crowns?
That's exactly right Ken!

Thanks for all your responses everyone - It is an odd problem, but seems to have happened with more than one of my shirts. Agree with Smithy as the A-2 is not meant as a bit of fashion but was/is military kit. But it does look really good with a nice Italian shirt and tie!

Ken at Aero Leather

That's exactly right Ken!

Had to be

Some time ago someone in Japan must have come across a very large number of dead stock Crown zippers in a colour unsuited to Miltary jackets.
Easy solution, dye them
We've had this same issue, two pallets full of 40s/50s zippers,bought in early 1990s, maybe 10.000 zippers? We've probably still got 2 or 3 thousand left
While the Talon, Conmar, Conmatic all dyed beautifully the cloth on the few Crowns we had shrunk, not much with cold water dye, but a lot with hot water dye. Luckily we tested ever batch before plunging in the deep end of the dye vat!!!!
I'd put good money on the person who found these Crowns sending the whole lot to a commercial dyer who would have used hot water which shrunk (and ruined) the whole lot. It costs pennies per zippert to dye in bulk

Never mind................. they seem to have managed to sell them no problem to several (top end?) jacket makers, the problem comes later, the kinking is what is causing the fray on your shirts. John Lever had a worse experience with one of his B-3s o_O
Shame is they are f*cked, and they look awful in a jacket unzipped or not, what a great pity.

Southoftheborder

Had to be

Some time ago someone in Japan must have come across a very large number of dead stock Crown zippers in a colour unsuited to Miltary jackets.
Easy solution, dye them
We've had this same issue, two pallets full of 40s/50s zippers,bought in early 1990s, maybe 10.000 zippers? We've probably still got 2 or 3 thousand left
While the Talon, Conmar, Conmatic all dyed beautifully the cloth on the few Crowns we had shrunk, not much with cold water dye, but a lot with hot water dye. Luckily we tested ever batch before plunging in the deep end of the dye vat!!!!
I'd put good money on the person who found these Crowns sending the whole lot to a commercial dyer who would have used hot water which shrunk (and ruined) the whole lot. It costs pennies per zippert to dye in bulk

Never mind................. they seem to have managed to sell them no problem to several (top end?) jacket makers, the problem comes later, the kinking is what is causing the fray on your shirts. John Lever had a worse experience with one of his B-3s o_O
Shame is they are f*cked, and they look awful in a jacket unzipped or not, what a great pity.

I had an Eastman several years ago and since moved on that had a Crown zip that was very kinked. I assume that's the reason.

P9160018.JPG

foster

I find that putting some paraffin wax on the zipper teeth helps a little. Sometimes new zipper teeth are a little sharp on the edges, even if new old stock from 80 years ago.

Ken at Aero Leather

I find that putting some paraffin wax on the zipper teeth helps a little. Sometimes new zipper teeth are a little sharp on the edges, even if new old stock from 80 years ago.

Paraffin could be the answer

1. Remove the zipper from the jacket
2. Douse it in paraffin
3. Set Fire to it
4. Get a new zipper fitted to your jacket,

Your shirts will be fine after that........... unless you singe the cuffs during stage 3

Paraffin could be the answer

1. Remove the zipper from the jacket
2. Douse it in paraffin
3. Set Fire to it
4. Get a new zipper fitted to your jacket,

Your shirts will be fine after that........... unless you singe the cuffs during stage 3
Lol thanks Ken -- I'm already browsing the A-2 offerings at Aero... I'm thinking the "Unknown Maker" Contract No 1756 in Seal... It's a purchase for later this year!

I should also remark that my Aero Hooch Hauler gets me comments where ever I go...