• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

amelia earhart jacket style

FlyingYankee

My wife has taken to wearing my GW A-1 but it is too big. Any recommendation on anyone that could build her an Amelia Earhart style jacket?

FlyingYankee

Maybe just a stock A-1 in capeskin would do size 36. Norshor leather has a 1930s civilian that comes pretty close. A wool A-1 style collar is mandatory.

STEVE S.

saucerfiend said:
Vince,
Try Skyhawk! Much better and less expensive.

Brian

yes, check with jay on the A-1. If he's not interested I can do one. That's a pretty simple design so shouldn't be any problem to knock one out.

ADC

FlyingYankee said:
Maybe just a stock A-1 in capeskin would do size 36. Norshor leather has a 1930s civilian that comes pretty close. A wool A-1 style collar is mandatory.

Something like this with some fine tuning?

Skyhawk

Yes there are not many flight jackets for the ladies. I have been working on the design for this Amelia Jacket in Russet Capeskin:

It is really similar to the A-1. The pockets are a bit bigger and are wider apart. A zip instead of the buttons, and the knit collar has a leather strip in the middle following the zipper track. The sizing will be small, medium, and large and of course have a more feminine cut. Amelia's Jacket looks to have been tailored for her so obviously has a much more feminine cut than your standard A-1 or A-2.

Regards,
Jay

FlyingYankee

Skyhawk said:
Yes there are not many flight jackets for the ladies. I have been working on the design for this Amelia Jacket in Russet Capeskin:

It is really similar to the A-1. The pockets are a bit bigger and are wider apart. A zip instead of the buttons, and the knit collar has a leather strip in the middle following the zipper track. The sizing will be small, medium, and large and of course have a more feminine cut. Amelia's Jacket looks to have been tailored for her so obviously has a much more feminine cut than your standard A-1 or A-2.

Regards,
Jay
Maybe Steve could build a prototype of this jacket. he has some nice looking Cowhide and the more I think the zipper is a plus

CBI

I think one of Jay's A-1's would work just fine and a great price point!!!. hey ADC, I think that's my former jacket you posted a picture of. its from Norshor/Mark Fisher???? He did a custom Lincoln Brigade capeskin jacket for me...... one of a kind, Super work!

John Chapman made a killer Amelia "Electra" jacket prototype. I have a pic around somewhere and I think someone here on the forum has the same photo. I had tried to order one from him but he never moved forward on offering it.

ADC

CBI said:
I think one of Jay's A-1's would work just fine and a great price point!!!. hey ADC, I think that's my former jacket you posted a picture of. its from Norshor/Mark Fisher???? He did a custom Lincoln Brigade capeskin jacket for me...... one of a kind, Super work!

John Chapman made a killer Amelia "Electra" jacket prototype. I have a pic around somewhere and I think someone here on the forum has the same photo. I had tried to order one from him but he never moved forward on offering it.
Could be, I bought it used about 8 months ago off Ebay. Has his old Superior Flight Apparel label. Amazingly soft and light capeskin. Mark Fisher makes some great old world jackets. Gets a lot of use in our warmer climate. I also bought another flight jacket off him a few months ago.

Garylafortuna

Hello, I've been lurking around this forum for about nine months, but have been too intimidated to open my mouth. This forum has wonderful style, and many of you good folks who post regularly impart a storehouse of knowledge to the uninformed and the ignorant such as myself.
Sean Collins was the guy who recommended that I register here; a big thank you going out to him. The reason I'm posting on this thread is,
the other day I was watching an episode of 'Supernatural' on Netflix (season 9 episode 4). On it there was a woman wearing a jacket almost exactly like the one Amelia Earhart is wearing in the photo. Plenty of front and back shots. Currently, Diamond Dave is stitching up a Rough Wear 1401-P for me. A huge thank you going his way as well.
Cheers
Gary

STEVE S.

Garylafortuna said:
Hello, I've been lurking around this forum for about nine months, but have been too intimidated to open my mouth. This forum has wonderful style, and many of you good folks who post regularly impart a storehouse of knowledge to the uninformed and the ignorant such as myself.
Sean Collins was the guy who recommended that I register here; a big thank you going out to him. The reason I'm posting on this thread is,
the other day I was watching an episode of 'Supernatural' on Netflix (season 9 episode 4). On it there was a woman wearing a jacket almost exactly like the one Amelia Earhart is wearing in the photo. Plenty of front and back shots. Currently, Diamond Dave is stitching up a Rough Wear 1401-P for me. A huge thank you going his way as well.
Cheers
Gary
Don't be too intimidated. We're all just regular folks around here! :lol:

fleet16b

ADC said:
Here's some more pic's.

I have an exact replica of her jacket on the right.
It was made by Belstaff for movie actress Hilary Swank when she played A.E. in the movie "AMELIA"
As Aerial Coordinator for the movie, I was able to acquire the jacket post filming.
It could be bought foe the right price.
If anyone is interested please p.m. me

2BM2K

STEVE S. said:
got any pics?? just copied a denim jacket in leather for the Mrs.

I do like the look of this leather. What type of hide is it, how thick is it and is it veg or chrome tanned?

STEVE S.

not really sure about the tanning method. its labelled as a 3oz but probably closer to 2.25-2.5oz steerhide & is very soft. it was a "'black friday" purchase at Tandy on the cheap. It was originally oxblood red, but I did a seal overdye, then a light wash to pull a little of the reddish tones back through.