• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amelia Earhart Flight Jacket Reproduction - The Aviatrix

Skyhawk

Consider this though,
1. The museum jacket's wrist knits are folded back. The length is ok.
2. The museum jacket's knits look faded. They could have been darker.
3. Black & white 1930's photography, color balance? Not sure. That jacket could not be that light and the knits not as dark

avaitrix-original.jpg

Changeling

Well perhaps it will remain another mystery, interesting though.Her flight jacket she is seen wearing in many photos right up to her last record attempt must have been made before 1932 as I have seen a photograph dated 1st of January 1932 with her wearing that jacket.

Last edited:

Ken at Aero Leather

I have talked with the 99's museum manager. She said the jacket is not on display there, however that have an extensive Earhart collection that is archived and it could possibly be stored away. They want a $20/hr fee to search the archives.

I doubt that they have it. I think if they had the jacket, they would know about it right away when I asked. I have a few more leads to follow up on so I will post an update later.

In regards to this discovered jacket, I don't think it is Amelia's but probably one of her friends in the 99's. I have discovered that the buttons on the original were 4-hole Horn buttons, and the buttons on the Museum jacket are domed 2 hole buttons. Also as we know, the knits are different. I also think that the rectangle stitching on the collar is slightly different.

Still I would like to know the MFG because I believe they are one and the same.

View attachment 25007 View attachment 25008

More to come......

I'd agree 100%

Changeling

The chaps in the photos, on the right Fred Noonan the navigator who went missing with Earhart in 1937. Far left is Paul Mantz, an air racing pilot and Hollywood stunt pilot and next to Noonan is Harry Manning also a skilled navigator and pilot.In 1965 Paul Mantz would die in a plane crash while filming a scene for the James Stewart movie The Flight Of The Phoenix.

Skyhawk

Hey guys, we just finished an Aviator jacket (Aviatrix Mens version) for a forum member. Here are some photos and some details from the original explained:
Aviator-20-Front-1.jpg

First off, the color and hide. It is agreed by many that the hide was Capeskin and a chocolate or dark russet type shade. Our hide is a close match to the original. Note the pocket position. The pockets are set wide apart. Almost on the sides of the jacket. The pockets appear a little small on our version above due to this being the largest size we make, a 48. It would look to scale on the other smaller sizes. The pocket is a full 7" tall.
amelia-7.jpg

We identified the zipper as a Talon Hookless Fantail Style, and we sourced the exact reproduction zipper, also note how the grain matches on the hide with that "Ribbiness" ;) in the bottom close up on the right side:
Zip-2.jpg
P1050411.JPG

P1050410.JPG

It is widely accepted that SAT was the likely maker, so we had a nice reproduction label made up for the jacket:
P1050421.JPG

Original hi res photos show a one piece back with the hanger strip not sewn through the leather:
tumblr_m8cd5cI0W11qdsfu6o1_540.jpg

P1050414.JPG

The buttons have been identified as horn:
Horn-Button.jpg

P1050413.JPG

I am very happy with these new details we have incorporated in our reproduction of Amelia's jacket. They really add to the authenticity and bring this jacket up to a whole new level of accuracy.
Aviator-20-Front-1.jpg

Best Regards,
Jay

Last edited:

Skyhawk

Thanks guys! This jacket is now available for sale. It did not fit the customer. I will post it in Buy & Sell. You can also PM me if you are interested. It is a fantastic jacket as you can see from the Pics!

Regards,
Jay

bseal

Thanks guys! This jacket is now available for sale. It did not fit the customer. I will post it in Buy & Sell. You can also PM me if you are interested. It is a fantastic jacket as you can see from the Pics!

Regards,
Jay
Is this the final version?

Skyhawk

New customer jacket. Looking good on the details. Note the extra long vintage style cuffs as seen on the original. This is a women's version of course, the Aviatrix. It was miss labeled as a 38, but is a small. New Tartan lining, we have a full pallet of colors available:
Front-2020.jpg

Back-2020.jpg

Tartan-02-2020.jpg
Tartan-2020.jpg