• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing B-3

TankBuster

A beauty for sure! Up to $700 already with over 6 days to go! I love original fleece jackets, but just don't trust them. They really need to be babied.

Roughwear

Fantastic HLB Corp B-3, which will sell for a large amount. The postage to the UK is over $900 and at that price one could fly to the USA and collect it in person! :lol:

Dr H

At that price I thought the vendor was offering to deliver it personally...

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Where is George, anyway? We haven't seen him on the forum for a while.

Shipping to NZ shows as: $1,314.00 UPS Worldwide Saver

Roughwear

I guess George wants the suit to stay in the USA hence the extremely high shipping. I had a B-3 jacket and trousers shipped from the USA to the UK for well under $100 in 2010. Perhaps he could explain why its would cost £596 to import in to the UK which in my opinion is just crazy and deters non-US bidders. Just a thought-perhaps he's planning to deliver it in person! :lol:

No, I actually don't NEED it to stay in the US! :D

Andrew, I noted that you had a set shipped to you for under $100, but was it insured for an adequate amount and was the set folded to accommodate its fit into a standard sized box?

It's just that in order not to fold such a superb jacket to make it fit into a standard box, the size of the required shipping box to do that exceeds the volume weight set by the USPS, so it leaves only UPS as the only standard carrier alternative. I guess they charge monopolistic pricing because they're the only game in town (both for odd and large package sizes as well as necessary insurance amounts--USPS caps shipping insurance to England at a mere $650!). I've been struggling with these stupid shipping issues since I've been listing parts of my prized collection. I have let a few Japanese and European bidders know that should they win the auction, I would be more than happy to drive the set down to the airport and put it onto a plane headed to their country using that carrier's air cargo. That usually ends up being cheaper, but the collector would have to probably pick the package up at their closest international airport though. I'm not sure there are any better solutions than this, but would welcome any input that would help me solve this logistical nightmare. Thanks!

George

PS Happy New Year to all!

dmar836

I tried everything I could do to get a bicycle to Italy a few years ago - even completely stripped to the frame. The frame-sized box for the frame alone was such that the "girth" was too big by 3" and just couldn't be sent without huge expense. It's as if shippers(and govt.) just don't want to mess with it so they price it out of reach. Ridiculous.
George, looks like a good sale. Good luck!

Dave

Dave,

That's what I've been finding when the box is a little out of bounds. I'm not sure what other options are available for sane shipping prices on anything that doesn't fall into the standard sizes. The weight isn't bad at all (about 20 lbs or so). Thanks for your input!

George

I just contacted a really good freight forwarder in San Francisco and the story is that for a large box such as one that I would feel comfortable shipping this magnificent set in (36" x 48" x 20"), the volume is so large that the carrier/cargo company treats it as dimensional weight. So even though the package would be no more than 10kg in actual weight, the shipping company treats it as about 95Kg. Apparently, if I drop it off at the San Francisco International airport and have it shipped to be picked up in Narita, Japan, for instance, it would only be $250 by air (which takes 2 to 3 days) and $100 by ocean (which would take 20 days), plus a $50 document generation fee. So, although it's not door to door, it is a lot better than $950!

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Here's a couple of suggestions ...

Firstly, I would fold the jacket. I realise that you are reluctant to do this, but with several folded layers of bubble wrap between, it won't crease.

Secondly, ship in two smaller boxes, this might work out a lot cheaper ... and if you choose USPS you can insure each box. Sure, this will still be short of the total, but enough so that they don't lose it.