• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Also China

Thomas Koehle

whilst browsing on a Chinese marketplace similar to Ebay I came across this:

kbHV6pE.jpg

well known face with well known jackets ...

will share the link to this page on request

but even with the link I think there is not a realistic chance to get people prosecuted for stealing images

Last edited:

Teddy

Probably not. I doubt this is the only seller stealing images from well-known manufacturers. Having just received a fake Buzz Rickson that's highly likely made by a Chinese manufacturer, I must say that it's great they're interested in military repros, but it's despicable to fake other brands or to steal others' properties.

Side note specifically for Thomas since I guess you're German: The seller is from Tsingtao, the beer town in China that was occupied and highly influenced by Prussia.

Thomas Koehle

Thx for the hint!

Been working in China for almost 7 years and visited Taingtao a couple of times for the „beer fest“ was always funny to be there

Well back then fakes of all kind have been sold „en masse“ in the big fake markets in BJ but since Chinese government decided for more „business-worthy“ all markets except 1 have been shut down as far as my previous workmates tell me

Teddy

That's truly impressive Thomas! I bet you know more about China than I do! I've been out of China for 8 years now and feel completely detached from the contemporary culture there.

ausreenactor

this is why the GW waiting period is so long. He has been subcontracted by a Chinese company!!!!!!! :)

At The Front have stated for years that the quality is higher and the prices come drop when their WWII stuff is made in China!! ;)

Teddy

At The Front have stated for years that the quality is higher and the prices come drop when their WWII stuff is made in China!! ;)
I can totally testify to this ;) Got an ATF shawl collar jacket, felt the high-end quality of Chinese denim, and returned for a refund...

colekwok

According to Jack Ma, the CEO of TaoBao/Alibaba of China, their 'fake' products have better qualities than the originals :p

Taken from DailyMail UK here....

China's unbranded goods are often better than the branded originals they imitate, founder of e-commerce giant Alibaba Jack Ma has said, posing an additional challenge to the battle against sales of counterfeits.

"The problem is that the fake products today, they make better quality, better price than the real product, than the real names," he said in a speech at Alibaba's investor's day in the southern city of Hangzhou Tuesday.

"They're the exact factories, the exact raw materials, but they do not use that name," he added.

China's factories have traditionally churned out products for branded companies at low cost, but with the rise of e-commerce platforms such as Alibaba, they are increasingly finding opportunities to market their own goods online directly to consumers.

More than IP problems or fake products, it was this shift to a new business model that was "destroying" traditional brands and "revolutionizing the whole world", Ma said, noting: "The way of doing business has changed."

Alibaba has come under fire in recent years for the ease at which knock-off goods are available to consumers on its online Taobao marketplace.

Taobao is estimated to hold more than 90 percent of the domestic consumer-to-consumer market, while the company's Tmall platform is believed to have over half of China's business-to-consumer transactions.

As the leading force in China's e-commerce industry, Ma said Alibaba could handle the problem of counterfeits "better than any government, any organization, any people in the world", but that a continued market for cheap knock-offs was unavoidable.

"We cannot solve the problem 100 percent, because it's fighting against human instinct," he said.

Yet the company's efforts to date have been the subject of increasing scrutiny.

"It's inappropriate for a person of Jack Ma's status to say something like this," Cao Lei, director of the China E-Commerce Research Center in Hangzhou, told Bloomberg News.

"For some individual cases what he's saying might be true, but it's wrong to generalise the phenomenon."

Pilot

IMHO, living and experiencing Asia since 1989.. Buying cheap Asian products always hits you back...
When you receive it.,, or at least when you are trying to resell it , when you notice its not as they sold it to you....or not the product they advertised....or when you expect service... etc...
“ you only get, what you pay for...and no meal for free anymore in this world”....etc... all real sayings...verified here and elsewhere....sorry if you still believe in Santa-Claus and Easter Bunny..!
Agreed... a few exceptions here and there..but to my expectetions,...none..
Living in Korea / Japan for almost 30 years... told me one major thing above all others.( money wise)..
...Nobody wants to make a loss or loosing ( working for free..) .. you pay value ...you get value.....You pay small...you get a big grin....thats at the best ...you can expect...a grin..
Buy low...get low or worse...
A good firm relying on reputation will never ever let youdown for a few hundreds of dollars..A crappy co..,even for more or less..l
.”Buy cheap..get cheap...”

Last edited:

Thomas Koehle

I‘m fully with PILOT!

Even in China you don‘t get anything for free ...

On the other hand side be assured a lot of international brands produce their stuff in China - put their own labels in and claim it as „Made elsewhere“!

In Germany is a strict regulation how much of „added value“ needs to be part of a product to claim it as „Made in Germany“ - think this is with most countries????

So as a manufacturer just stay below the break-even and let the rest be done in Asia.

Anyway - in 7 years China working in the automotive industry searching for potential suppliers I saw quiet a lot - enough to have an idea of what is going on.

There where „BUZZ RICKSON“ USN watchcaps for sale for 6 bucks a couple of years back - no one will do fakes for such a lowprice item for making profit ...

There is other examples which I saw with my own eyes.

Anyway - bottom line is what Brice pointed out even though i‘m still convinced there is exceptions and so far I have always be positive with about 85% of my China-hauls

Spitfireace

China is taking over.... I know they are here in Vancouver. Lots of real estate has been bought up by "chinese money launderers" and we are only realizing the extent of it now. That is a whole other topic though.