• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alpha B-15 advice please!

jonnyboy

David, in fairness to Tim, he had previously said that he wouldn't give an Alpha Vintage Series jacket closet space! :lol: But he did suggest that it might be a good stop gap jacket until I can afford/get hold of a decent Buzz version, and I think he's right.

I'm sure there's absolutely no comparison between the Alpha Vintage Series and a Buzz, but I must say in it's defence that it seems well made, and should be a good knock-around jacket for the time being. Good to hear that the waistband will stretch - I was beginning to think that I'd need to cut back on wine and steak. :)

Cheers,

Jon

Tim P

I wouldnt give it closet space but it is clear that Jon had a burning impatience that wasnt going to go away. I stand by the fact that, like Avirex, they are good jackets just not authentic jackets.
its contrary to what I would usually say ;)

MikeyB-17

My wife has a vintage B-15C pretty much identical to the one previously shown-admittedly her is knocking on for ten years old now, and the design may have changed, but I don't think it's that bad. It's been well-worn, and the knits are still fine, no wear to the collar-which ain't goin' nowhere, it's not detachable-and it's a pretty decent, warm jacket. OK, a Buzz it ain't (I know, I've had one), but I don't think it's bad at all, in fact I'm considering nicking it off her. Conversely, I've also had a Replica series, which I wasn't at all impressed with-mainly the horrible colour, nothing like an original. Given a choice I'd sooner have my wife's Vintage.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
MikeyB-17 said:
... I've also had a Replica series, which I wasn't at all impressed with-mainly the horrible colour, nothing like an original. Given a choice I'd sooner have my wife's Vintage.

You sure it's a Vintage, Mike? ... I've only seen them with the detachable collar. I guess the colour's a matter of taste, but I have both here at the moment, and I've always liked the darker blue of the Replica.

MikeyB-17

Yep, David, it deffo says 'Vintage B-15c' on the label-it is, however, as I said, a good ten years old and they may have changed the spec since then. Regarding the colour, my apologies, the one I had was green, and it was that colour which I disliked.

jonnyboy

Tim - burning impatience hits the nail on the head! I know common sense would say that I should wait until I can afford a better option. One day, a Buzz B-15 will be mine (cue Wayne's World guitar shop scene - oh yes, it will be mine!).

My Vintage Series jacket doesn't have a detachable collar. I think that the current Alpha 'Replica' B-15s do though - they're not the same breed as the old Replica Series, and also seem to have an Alpha logo on the windflap. I know it's probably been said many times before, but it's a shame that Alpha, given that they were an original contractor for these type of jackets, don't go that extra distance and bring out a really authentic repro. I guess that isn't their market.

Anyway, I'm happy with this jacket for now - it seems well made and will hopefully keep me warm for the rest of the winter, and in the meantime I'll be saving up for a Buzz!

Cheers,

Jon

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
MikeyB-17 said:
Yep, David, it deffo says 'Vintage B-15c' on the label ...

Can't argue with that ... I was always happy enough with the sage B-15D Replica, but I don't have an example now to compare.

jonnyboy

Here are a few photos of my Alpha Vintage Series B-15D. It's a slightly brighter green in the flesh - the colours in the photos are a bit washed out. I bought a size medium (I think that's all they have left), and I guess it equates roughly to a size 40.

It seems well made - there were quite a few loose ends of thread, which I've trimmed off, but I guess most items of clothing have those when they're new. I also removed the Alpha tag on the sleeve pocket - easy to do, and looks so much better without it.

I know the level of authenticity is pretty low, but I think it's a decent jacket for the money. I'm intending to wear the hell out of it and see how it holds up - it'll be interesting to see how long it lasts before falling apart!

I bought it online from this place:

http://www.armynavysales.com/store/item ... temId=3017

Anyway, here are the pics:

Front.jpg

Collar.jpg

Open.jpg

Stencil.jpg

Main-zip.jpg

Back.jpg

Cheers,

Jon

flightmac

jonnyboy said:
Good to hear that the waistband will stretch - I was beginning to think that I'd need to cut back on wine and steak. :)

Cheers,

Jon

Although not a authentic jacket, my Vintage series blue MA-1's knits are still fine after about 10 years. I wear it frequently in winter and even had it dry-cleaned once after an unfortunate encounter with some rich sauce off a New Orleans seafood dish (hazards of eating outside). I first tried spot cleaning, but you could still see the darker area.

jonnyboy

Pepé - good to know that these jackets are durable, and can take some abuse (food stains, etc) - I once had to throw a jacket out when I accidentally spilled seafood chowder on it, and couldn't get rid of the smell! I've just come back inside after sitting in the garden watching the stars - a pretty cold night, but really clear, and the jacket kept me toasty warm!

Cheers,

Jon

Weasel_Loader

Not sure on the vintage series, but the replica has wool batting inside like originals. Of course, without taking one apart, I'm only going by what others have said. ;)

Willy McCoy

I have never seen a picture of the nomenclature tag on either of the "Vintage" or "Replica(s)" series Alpha jackets. A proper milspec tag would cite the contents I believe. :?:

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Willy McCoy said:
I have never seen a picture of the nomenclature tag on either of the "Vintage" or "Replica(s)" series Alpha jackets. A proper milspec tag would cite the contents I believe. :?:

The Replica series have a correct style label, which like the originals, doesn't state the materials of the outer shell, or the interlining. They have a further pocket label ...

• INTERLINING, 58% WOOL, 42% COTTON
    SHELL & LINING 100% NYLON
    DRY CLEAN ONLY MADE IN USA

Vintage series have the polyester fibre fill which eventually migrates to the bottom of the jacket.

Members online

Latest posts