• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alpha B-15 advice please!

jonnyboy

Hi guys,

I am looking to buy an Alpha B-15 jacket (getting cold here in France now!), but am not sure which is best to go for. I would ideally love to get hold of one of their old Replica Series jackets, but they seem almost impossible to find now in anything but a small or really large size (I'd be needing a size 40 or 42). My budget is very limited at the moment, so I think my options are the Alpha Vintage series, or they're current 'Replica' B-15 jacket, which is available on ebay.

Vintage Series jacket
b15verde1.jpg

Current Alpha Replica jacket
ai-mjb23050c1-repgreen-big.jpg

Based on the above photos, could anybody tell me which they think is the most authentic looking? The current Alpha B-15 has a removable synthetic mouton - not very authentic. It seems (from the photo) though, to be a bit better quality than the Vintage Series jacket, although that could be due to better lighting.

If anyone has either the Vintage Series B-15 or the current version, and is able to comment, any help and opinions appreciated!

Thanks,

Jon

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Avoid the Vintage ... as well as the detachable collar, the nylon is lightweight, the knits are crap, and they're filled with polyfibre.

I don't know the new Replica series, one of the best features of the old series was the correct cotton/wool interlining. Personally I'd keep looking, I've found good examples on eBay ... the size 38 fits as a 40.

I had one of their standard B-15s for five years. I am not expert enough to comment on its qualities as a repro, but it was an excellent winter jacket: very warm for its weight and pretty decently made. I hated the removable faux-fur collar in theory, but have to admit that it was never a problem - its buttons always held it securely in position, and you really couldn't tell that it was removable at a quick glance.

However, the zipper was lousy from day one. It was unnecessarly large, clunky white metal, with teeth that were rough to the touch at the front. And it's what ultimately failed on the jacket: it became tough to move the slider in places, and eventually the zipper began opening on its own at the stress point on the belly. Attempts at lubricating it improved the slider issue, but the opening-on-its-own problem became chronic. I ended up giving the jacket to a Fedora Lounge guy who said that he had the skills to replace the zipper... and who could really use the jacket, being unemployed and not having a decent winter jacket. (In every other regard, the jacket held up very well to ordinary wear, so it was very wearable with a new zipper.)

So my advice is to steer clear of Alpha's standard B-15 with the removable collar - that zipper is bad news! I suspect that both the Replica and Vintage models have better zips, along with their other advantages.

Weasel_Loader

Yep. Replica Alpha B-15C or D is the only way to go. Best bang for the buck! They fit one to two sizes larger than tagged. So many differences between Vintage and Replica. Let us know if you need us to list them. ;)

jonnyboy

Thanks guys - much appreciated.

Sounds like I need to hold out for an Alpha Replica series B-15C or D jacket then. I've seen them available in a size 36, but I think that I'd need to go on a crash diet AND give myself the hot water treatment to fit into one of those!

I did have a size 44 in the Replica series briefly - it was way too big for me so I sold it (to Marcel) who it fits much better. It was a great jacket - I just wish it had fitted me! I'm guessing that (based on the fit of the 44) that a 40 would be perfect - I'll keep looking on ebay.

Thanks again for the help.

Jon

Weasel_Loader

Keep your eyes peeled on ebay for size 42. I had a Replica B-15D in 44 that was too big. Sold it and found a Replica B-15C Mod in size 42. Fit perfectly, but didn't really care for the mod version of this jacket and got rid of it.

jonnyboy

Will definitely keep my eyes peeled on ebay for a 40 or 42. I did look a while back for one, but it seems they're a bit thin on the ground. It looks like more originals get listed than the Replica series! I wonder how many were made? They must have all been snapped up and are being kept. Well, I'll keep looking.

Thanks,

Jon

jonnyboy

Hi guys,

Found these pics of an Alpha Vintage Series B-15C on an ebay listing. It doesn't look too bad to me. I know that it's not the most authentic, but are the materials really that bad? I only ask because, in the event of not being able to get hold of a Replica Series B-15D, the Vintage Series may be my next best option.

Picture2.png

Picture4.png

Picture7.png

Cheers,

Jon

jonnyboy

Bugger.

I was hoping that they'd be at least passable, so that if I did end up getting one, I wouldn't feel too bad about it.

The search for a Replica Series continues....

Tim P

I feel your pain but you will not regret the wait once it is over. they are very nice jackets. My d model in a 44 is a firm favourite of mine. I WOULD NOT GIVE A VINTAGE CLOSET SPACE.

jonnyboy

Well, Tim, that decides it then! I'll keep looking for a Replica Series B-15D jacket.

Although I do think there's probably more chance of me buying an original, given the seeming rareness of the Replica Series (at least, in anything other than very small, or large!).

Cheers,

Jon

jonnyboy

Thanks for the heads up Tim. It's a possibility, although another forum member has a Replica Series jacket which I'll hopefully be buying from him in early Jan.

It's hard not to think what the heck, and buy a vintage series as well, just to compare them. My funds are pretty low after Christmas though (mostly spent on toys for two little girls!) so hopefully the Replica Series jacket will fit, and will see me for some time.

Sean, thanks for the Silvermans link. If the jacket I'm hopefully buying doesn't fit, I'll certainly try them to see if they can track one down.

Cheers,

Jon

jonnyboy

Hi guys,

Following Tim's advice, I've picked up an Alpha Vintage Series B-15D to tide me over until I get that Buzz version!

I have to say, I quite like the Vintage Series jacket. I know it's not the most authentic, but it seems well made, and should keep me warm. My only issue is that it is a little short. The sleeves are perfect, and it fits everywhere else - it just feels about an inch too short (mainly at the back). I think it's made worse by the very tight waistband. Do these jackets generally loosen up after they've been worn a few times? I'm pretty sure there isn't a way to stretch a nylon jacket, is there? I'm sure I can live with it as it is, but it would be great to know if there is a way to give it a tad more length, or loosen the waistband a bit.

Anyway, it should do me for a while at least.

Cheers,

Jon

Tim P

the knits will slacken with wear. the length is as it is sadly. Enjoy the journey to buzz nirvana by wearin the hell out of your alpha which is well made but just not of 100% authentic materials

jonnyboy

Thanks Tim,

I think the length will hopefully be fine once the waistband has slackened a bit. I plan to wear it to within an inch of it's life - then I'll be ready for the Buzz version!

Cheers,

Jon

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
jonnyboy said:
Following Tim's advice, I've picked up an Alpha Vintage Series B-15D to tide me over until I get that Buzz version!

I can't believe that Tim gave you that advice, but now that you have it, you are looking for a way to loosen the waistband .... don't worry, it doesn't need any assistance. ;)