• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Airborne A2’s

ausreenactor

16292495731516623202053001263720.jpg
1629249623517925103909771536632.jpg
16292496370947217060864114543256.jpg

This GW Rough Wear is massive!

Blackboxr1200S

That's awful -- have they said why they're closing?

Wonder what will become of all the exhibits?

Like a lot of museums, the cost to maintain the exposition, the building, heating, you name it, it is way too high.
On top of that; they lost a lot of income due to COVID

This museum --> https://www.baugnez44.be/ is one of my favs in the Ardennes region.
It's locate right next to the pasture where the Malmedy massacre occurred in Dec 1944

Not sure what is going to happen with the artifacts, but I can tell you, the collection it's magnificent.
Damn shame the city, province or even federal government is not stepping it to save that much history, chance is the items will get scattered all over the place.

FINAL CLOSURE
After more than 15 years of existence and hundreds of thousands of visitors, the Baugnez 44 Museum will definitively close its doors on Monday January 9, 2023.
We thank all our visitors.

Same thing happened with the Eyewitness museum in the Netherlands.

Last edited:

MauldinFan

That Gavin A2 isn't the one he had before and during the Rhine jumps, he had a different one than the one in this thread, as I talked with personally in the 80s and he described the A2 he was given and sometimes wore. The one shown is likely one he had late war.
As for the Dick Winters one, I've seen that myself as well. Winters used to come to the Gettysburg Ike farm WW2 days each year. I'd talked with him several times back before he was famous for the book and series...

johnwayne

What’s the chances?
No idea how/why Ive only just seen this thread but sometime back, I wrote here about trying to establish original ownership/provenance of my original Dubow 27798, formerly owned by former member Roughwear (Andrew Swatland) and I believe at sometime has been thru Aeroleather’s hands for a refurb. Ive always been aware of the stitch holes to front left chest and wondered what, apart from the nametag, the patches might be! Now I’m wondering if you guys have come up with the answer? Pic h/w showing lining as more apparent than leather due to lighting. Airborne?? The panel is 2 1/4” square and the ‘arc’ above same width??
Re name in liner, to best of my ability Ive only manage to locate that name to Frank L Scott enlisted 10.12.42 out of Vermont, Washington - ironically the same fiscal year as the Dubow 27798 contract!
More investigative work needed pour moi!!!
F38A61E3-8E5C-4001-8392-99706A444A3C.jpeg
0F7F4104-602C-4D08-AAFA-E6D33087C9BF.jpeg

MauldinFan

Not that I wtd to add one to my Dubow but out of curiosity looked online at original 82nd patches, wow £80 and upwards for a ‘smallish’ patch!
That's insane, I see them at shows even now, at a quarter of that amount. I probably have several of them in my patch box...