• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ageing an N1 deck jacket

Flakeman

Hello everyone,
I've just purchased a Buzz Rickson N1 deck jacket in blue. Excellent quality however the colour is virtually black its that dark. Is there anyway of distressing it? I have seen mention of washing it however it states dry clean only, any ideas would be appreciated.

Persimmon

Hello everyone,
I've just purchased a Buzz Rickson N1 deck jacket in blue. Excellent quality however the colour is virtually black its that dark. Is there anyway of distressing it? I have seen mention of washing it however it states dry clean only, any ideas would be appreciated.

Good choice. I have the blue version and the khaki versions.
809AFD37-EF40-427D-A37B-0BA4C7AE21FF.jpeg
76260732-D73C-4F55-8DA1-20537B209234.jpeg
4B24E7F7-E21E-4C37-AC33-00E236E8640C.jpeg

Dany McDonald

Hello everyone,

Hello,

Did you acquired the William Gibson version? It's a side project of Buzz where most of their military repros are done in black.

If it's really black, washing will not bring up any the blue. But I do wash my B-10's in the washer at the most gentle cycle with no problems.

Dany

dinomartino1

I had a BR and yes the blue is dark, I have washed bronson N1's to take off the new look though not to age them,
Try a warm wash with no detergent first and see what it's like after one wash.
Thomas from Germany seems to always give his cloth jackets repeated washings to fade them and I don't think he has ever had problems.

Enigma1938

Maybe this Thread helps.
Our fella geeboo did an amazing job here. It may a bit extreme but you can stop the process if the aging is to your liking.

Flakeman

Hello,

Did you acquired the William Gibson version? It's a side project of Buzz where most of their military repros are done in black.

If it's really black, washing will not bring up any the blue. But I do wash my B-10's in the washer at the most gentle cycle with no problems.

Dany
Thanks for that. It's definitely not a William Gibson as I've just checked, they a lot more expensive than mine and have different fur colour. Good info re the washing, thanks again

Flakeman

I had a BR and yes the blue is dark, I have washed bronson N1's to take off the new look though not to age them,
Thomas from Germany seems to always give his cloth jackets repeated washings to fade them and I don't think he has ever had problems.
Great, I might give that a go, thanks very much.

Flakeman

Maybe this Thread helps.
Our fella geeboo did an amazing job here. It may a bit extreme but you can stop the process if the aging is to your liking.

Good grief that lads dedicated! I might just let nature take its course. Thanks for the info

jack31916

As said earlier: just put in in the laundry machine with a little soap. I've washed my BR Zipp Deckjacket a few times and it became a lighter shade. The jacket will fade also due to wear in sunlight but you'll have to be more patient (or use Geeboo's tricks). Good luck!

D97x7

Funny washing an N-1 should come up today, here's my one hanging on the line at the moment, it's the alpaca one Bill Kelso are selling.
Yes, I know it should be on a hanger, I'm trying to eliminate a fold around the hem that's been annoying me, hopefully hanging like this will do the trick, if not never mind at least I tried. The pegs don't seem to be doing any harm either.
I used the wool cycle on my front loader, which also hasn't done any harm, so like others have said, give it a wash.
IMG_20210324_155339.jpg

mr_lits

I have a Buzz blue N1 and have worn almost daily for a year now. It was very dark to begin with but with wear and sunlight it has developed a great "worn" look. My answer how to age it... wear it all the time and show it some sunlight. Don't artificially age it... let wear do the work.. it will happen faster than you think.
DSC01779.JPG

Persimmon

Hello everyone,

Wearing it over and over will certainly age and naturally distress the jacket. However if you want to wash it no issues Just given the blue N1 it’s first ever wash. In the machine 30 degree. Wash tablet in the machine and some sea salt for authenticity.
46FE509A-842E-4242-B77C-319F5542BB8E.jpeg
40 minutes later on the line.
5F7F32F9-A365-4A67-AA44-70934E5864BB.jpeg

Thomas Koehle

the "aging" procedure i use is simple: put her in the washer like a couple of other dudes already mentioned

30 degree C, light washing detergent, no tumbling or the slowest rate

hang dry but no dryer

this jacket was worn about 20 times

igTk9Ua.jpg

this one even less

fn8aR50.jpg

Flakeman

As said earlier: just put in in the laundry machine with a little soap. I've washed my BR Zipp Deckjacket a few times and it became a lighter shade. The jacket will fade also due to wear in sunlight but you'll have to be more patient (or use Geeboo's tricks). Good luck!
Excellent info, cheers

Grant

I agree with lits. Only washing my reproduction USN deck jackets get is getting caught in the rain, letting them dry naturally, then repeat. Kinda like what they were designed to do.

asiamiles

I agree with lits. Only washing my reproduction USN deck jackets get is getting caught in the rain, letting them dry naturally, then repeat. Kinda like what they were designed to do.
Though presumably originals did get washed when they got dirty.

Thomas Koehle

Though presumably originals did get washed when they got dirty.

Got an A2 lately where i have my doubts it would ever got a decent wash ...

Anyway - keep in mind a cruiser or carrier ain't real tidy places - there is a lot of grease everywhere, dirt and dust that gathers on any garment so these jackets once in a while should also have found their way into a vessels "laundry"

Grant

Impossible to know for sure, but most used original N-1's I've handled look like they never seen the inside of a washing machine.