• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

aero zip

Dumpster D

Could I please see a more detailed photo of the lines of stitching on the leather tape of the main zipper if possible?

Micawber

Please select full size image after you have clicked on insert. The thumbnails are slow to load as larger images and make viewing posts time consuming.
Thanks.

Last edited:

PETERBUCK

Hello ,
here are the pics of the stitching of the zip . Is it possible to date the jacket off the previous pictures ?

Attachments

• IMG_2322.JPG
    IMG_2322.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 71
  • IMG_2321.JPG
    IMG_2321.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 67

Dumpster D

Thank you very much for posting more photos.

Maybe someone else can confirm what looks to me like empty stitch holes on the Leather tape where the original line of stitch was, and a new line of stitch that looks like it has more stitches per inch than the original line suggesting it could have been done with a different machine?

Taking into account the main zip doesn't match the sleeve zippers as well.

It's probably safe to say it's a period replacement.

I'm not claiming to be any sort of expert, especially on dating Irvin Jackets. It looks like it's got 4 panels on the back meaning it's probably not an early one. It's very nice, still has the Elastic strap on the collar (if it's original or not?) and chain hanger is still there!!! Wow!

While the Jacket shows its age overall, I would say it looks like it has had a good life so far. Someone has looked after it well. It's been treated kindly, worn sparingly and hidden away.

Last edited:

PETERBUCK

Thanks for the replys on my jacket , I didnt spot the different stitching I need a trip to specsavers . I think it is quite original apart from that . Why would anybody go to the trouble of fitting a period zip ?

Dumpster D

Was probably fitted during the war. I have a B3 jacket with a British Air Ministry zipper. Probably quite a common repair

Conversely, I have a WWII Irvin With an American 'CROWN' Zipper sewn (with haste) over the original Air ministry one. It wore out too (The lead is missing) and someone sewed button loops, the buttons are long gone as well.

That's ironic wartime logistics for you, gotta make do with what you can get when you can get it.

Dumpster D

I think it is quite original apart from that . Why would anybody go to the trouble of fitting a period zip ?

The 'Aero' zipper shows some oxidization along with the collar Strap. Another clue the zipper might be a wartime replacement and should be considered part of the originality. We won't know for certain, but it's still a period piece IMHO even if it's a post war replacement.

Oxidization is indicative the jacket was stored for many years.

I once spoke with a veteran who flew spitfires during the war. When the war was over, his Irvin jacket was still considered property of the RAF. The Jackets were all put in big piles to be placed in storage.

IMHO The zipper on your jacket *IS* still part of the history and originality. If you do more research you might find some more information about the 'Aero' Zip. My suspicion would lead to believe the name 'Aero' suggests it was used for flight suits. (But I could be totally mistaken) It could be post war 1950's era zipper, while the Jacket was still being used by the RAF.

It might be kind of special I would consider your jacket a more unique piece that way.

Last edited:

Southoftheborder

IMHO The zipper on your jacket *IS* still part of the history and originality. If you do more research you might find some more information about the 'Aero' Zip. My suspicion would lead to believe the name 'Aero' suggests it was used for flight suits. (But I could be totally mistaken) It could be post war 1950's era zipper, while the Jacket was still being used by the RAF.

The old Aero Zip company was established in the thirties in South Wales as PETERBUCK writes above and went on to be very successful. By the fifties they had about half the UK zip market and they set up a factory in Australia as well. But by the sixties they were not doing so well due to far east competition and the company was sold to a US zip manufacturer.

You still see lots of leather jackets being sold on eBay UK being described as having Aero zips in order to link to Aero Leather Scotland and be shown on their eBay pages; and that company still sells their jackets with Aero branded zips but there is no connection to the old company.

There is a modern Aero Zip company still in South Wales though....

JonnyCrow

The 'Aero' zipper shows some oxidization along with the collar Strap. Another clue the zipper might be a wartime replacement and should be considered part of the originality. We won't know for certain, but it's still a period piece IMHO even if it's a post war replacement.

Oxidization is indicative the jacket was stored for many years.

I once spoke with a veteran who flew spitfires during the war. When the war was over, his Irvin jacket was still considered property of the RAF. The Jackets were all put in big piles to be placed in storage.

It might be kind of special I would consider your jacket a more unique piece that way.
As such I'd leave it alone, it is what it is