• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aero sizing

Tigers9968

Evening all.
I was browsing ebay earlier and found an Aero Great Escape A2 with some fairly blurry photos. The sizing label says 42 and from the fairly blurry photos looks to be in excellent condition as stated by the seller.
I know from reading on here that a lot of the sizing labels can be classed as a sort of suggestion and depends on the contract being emulated and the only true way to judge sizing is to compare actual measurements with your own jacket that fits right.
So in light of this I messaged the seller asking for the armpit to armpit measurement and it came back as 21 inches across the front. Wouldn't this make it more of a tight 40 or a fitted 38?

mulceber

21 inches sounds a bit small for a size 42. More likely, the seller didn't lay the jacket out flat enough, and it's actually a 22" pit-to-pit, which would be typical of a size 42 of the contract the Great Escape jacket was based on.

I'm a bit surprised though, because I didn't know Aero made a great escape repro, especially since that was originally a rough wear contract.

Tigers9968

Yep I found a post from around 4 years ago on their facebook page saying they were sending a V.Hilts repro to their stockist motolegends.
This is where the seller purchased it new.
I think you're right in that I think the seller hasn't measured it out correctly and looking on Aero online the chest measurement should be as you said around 22".

Tigers9968

Yep just got these off the ad. I’m not gonna buy it as i’ve got my heart set on a 60s/70s issued G1 or a new G1 from Shawn but its at £200 at the mo. Bargain if you like this style IMHO
724C5717-68F8-4B95-BBF1-A6DDB37B7EDD.jpeg
A2B6FF86-9C94-4AAF-9698-16DF97BEFE83.jpeg
3B6BF33A-1EE8-47EA-A9DA-5C5432642920.jpeg
6C8072DC-46E9-45E6-88A1-E48002EA9288.jpeg
56B69A86-2452-48F4-949D-6E5AB68CA169.jpeg
9066EA17-02F4-44A0-B4C6-E939707CEE5E.jpeg

mulceber

Yeah, that one might fit you, from what I recall of your sizing, Tiger, but iirc, McQueen had a jacket that was a bit large on him, so even if it did fit you, it probably wouldn't have the McQueen look. Probably for the best that you don't seem that interested in buying it.

Last edited:

Tigers9968

Yeah, that one might fit you, from what I recall of your sizing, Tiger, but iirc, McQueen had a jacket that was a bit large on him, so even if it did fit you, it probably wouldn't have the McQueen look. Probably for the best that you don't seem that interested in buying it.
it was literally a case of "oh look a decently priced second hand aero A2" thats within my budget. I'm under no illusions of buying a cut down jumper and chinos trying vainly to look like the great Steve McQueen! Not unless theres a forgotten film out there where he played a mildy overweight bald guy with massive ears lol