• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aero love affair?

Burnsie

I count 10 threads in the last 7 days on the Hat Clubs Outerwear forum with the word "Aero" in the title.
(the civilian jackets seem to inspire the greatest ardour.)

zoomer

Yes, the stitch counters don't care much for repro Aeros. I think their A-2 cut is the main issue. The rule is to add about 1 1/2" to the shoulder span above size 42, but don't mess with the body length. The result is a rather short 'n wide jacket off the rack.

Some of their leather/finish choices also seem a bit fanciful. Jerky, oil pulled, and the late lamented Indian goat are all very fine, but don't reflect actual milspecs at all.

Even original wartime Aeros don't seem to have much buzz on the collectible market. Apparently they were less durable than other makes.

T-Bolt

I am far from being an expert on original A-2's, but I have come across a number of original Aeros "in the flesh" and many photos of Aeros. I must say that more than a few of these "real" Aeros seem to be a little rough looking as far as materials and construction.

Zoomer mentioned this, as well my observation. Have any of you other guys noticed such issues with certain Aero originals?

Ted

Vcruiser

Burnsie said:
I count 10 threads in the last 7 days on the Hat Clubs Outerwear forum with the word "Aero" in the title.
(the civilian jackets seem to inspire the greatest ardour.)

Hi Burnsie
There are those here that have Aero A2s...and are quite happy with them...especially with the jerky horsehide. For some of us they even seem to fit..right off the rack as well.
I'm 6'2"...185 lbs.

46932.jpg

In my case...I own many Aero utility jackets(after owning other 'premier' brands)...and prefer Aero utility jackets by far. They are,indeed,quite unique.

100_0458.jpg

Van

srivats

zoomer said:
Even original wartime Aeros don't seem to have much buzz on the collectible market. Apparently they were less durable than other makes.

Is this reflected in the repro market as well? As in, are Aero repros by various makers less popular than the other contracts?

Curahee

Can somebody explain to me why some can and others can't use the Aero label ? BTW great looking jackets
Swoose

Burnsie

swoose774 said:
Here's my daily wearer, an Aero (Bronco Pattern).

IMG_1194.jpg

I like Aeros too.

My daily wearer is also an Aero, 1756 pattern. I'm anxious for it to get the dramatic reddish undertones that Bronco has! Here it is w/ 2 months wear:
Oct1756.jpg

siddhartha

Administrator
Please do not let this thread become an attack on the FL, or any of the mods there-it will be deleted.

That said, I personally like Aero A-2 jackets, for something a little different, but I think the others tend to be more accurate. Sometimes with Aero in the past I've had to customize a few details to get the jacket I wanted, but it was worth it, and the jacket is one I reach for often.

I really like the moto/utility jackets they offer, and think they're a great deal. Very well made, nice details, and the company has always been a pleasure to deal with

Chris

zoomer

deeb7 said:
I can think of several forum members with jackets from THE FEW, and of course, Bevan owns a whole bunch.

Here's the review of his '38 Aero .....
It all comes back to me now. Great looking jacket, that '38. I notice Few doesn't list them any longer.

BTW, I don't know why anybody above the rank of moron would pile on the FL just because they - I should say we - like a suit or a snappy lid now and then, or forswear politics, or because GURLZ R ALOUD. It's no prissy tea party over there - it's civilization. Hell, we even talk airplanes!

Swing

Curahee said:
Can somebody explain to me why some can and others can't use the Aero label ? BTW great looking jackets
Swoose

I believe Aero Leather Clothing of Scotland has the name trademarked, and protects it or charges for its use.

~Swing

blethook

i dont know exactly what finish is on this one, i bought it off of Pedro last year. its shaved FQHH with what i think is the "vintage finish". it was solid seal brown but rubs off pretty easy. its also very shiney and doesn't loose the shine too easily. it has a russet undertone.
Swoose, I think your Bronco's hide is called vintage brown, made from front quarter HH. It's not commonly used on A-2s as it's a bit heavier than the mid weight HH they normally use.