• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aero Leather visit

London Cabbie

Would it be a good idea for a new thread where people posted close up photos of Leather, Nylon, Wool etc..?

Aero Jerky Seal & Russet HH
69175C5A-2FCC-4B06-BF2D-3F67F7D97207.jpeg

MaydayWei

Kid in a candy shop indeed!
Wonderful to see that you and your family are having a great time in Scotland!
Well, you more so than them haha ;)
But that's okay, what's life without a lil' give and take?

Sideslip

Those are awesome photos . Thank you so very much for those. Many of us on the US side may never get to visit Aero, but through your eyes and your cameras lens , I feel like I’ve seen a lot of it . That Irvin you’re wearing is pretty damn nice . Can you tell us a little more about it ?
About the Irvin, it is a merino. I had tried on one of their sale 'normal' Irvin's (pre-war) a few months ago but returned it as it seemed just a little short which Chloe@Aero agreed with when I sent her some pictures. I am 6 foot and Aero makes all their stock jacket's based on 5'11. I then hesitated between the 'normal' and merino Irvin, but decided to pull the trigger on the merino as it does not get to minus celsius temperatures in the south of England that often. Even if I use when flying open cockpit (where it is much colder), it is rare to be able to go up in the Tiger Moth in full winter (it has a tail skid, not tail wheel and no brakes so is difficult to manage in soft ground - and it is not mine). I may go for a pre-war in full 'normal' fleece at some point, but trying to exercise some modicum of control.

I added an inch in length and adjusted the sleeve length by a quarter inch after giving any and all measurements I could think of and this is what came out. It is really comfortable with just a baselayer and still comfortable with a submariner rollneck. The fleece itself is about 10-12mm inside the jacket and about 15mm at the collar. What is really nice is the honey colour of the fleece itself.

When I first saw it on receipt, I was just a little surprised as it was quite shiny and seemed quite light brown. However, it seems to change colour depending on whether in natural light, bright strip lights (the Aero showroom) or normal home lights, a somewhat darker colour. @J.R.303 mentioned that the shine goes away after a while and he applied some Pecards which darkened it; I may give it the chance to get some wear and then see if I play with the colour. The leather itself, especially in the upper panels, has some nice grain.

Ultimately, I am really happy with how comfortable it is. Of course, it is an interpretation of an original, but the quality is excellent, my wife has commented a few times that it is not at all what she thought I was getting, but is very impressed by the stitching on the panels and the overall look of the jacket (good that she is happy, maybe I need to bribe her find a leather jacket that she likes for her birthday). I also want to add that I really appreciated your and John's review of the ELC and Aero merino from which I learned a lot. Incidentally, it was John's original review earlier this year that got me thinking about Irvin's...

Micawber

About the Irvin, it is a merino. I had tried on one of their sale 'normal' Irvin's (pre-war) a few months ago but returned it as it seemed just a little short which Chloe@Aero agreed with when I sent her some pictures. I am 6 foot and Aero makes all their stock jacket's based on 5'11. I then hesitated between the 'normal' and merino Irvin, but decided to pull the trigger on the merino as it does not get to minus celsius temperatures in the south of England that often. Even if I use when flying open cockpit (where it is much colder), it is rare to be able to go up in the Tiger Moth in full winter (it has a tail skid, not tail wheel and no brakes so is difficult to manage in soft ground - and it is not mine). I may go for a pre-war in full 'normal' fleece at some point, but trying to exercise some modicum of control.

I added an inch in length and adjusted the sleeve length by a quarter inch after giving any and all measurements I could think of and this is what came out. It is really comfortable with just a baselayer and still comfortable with a submariner rollneck. The fleece itself is about 10-12mm inside the jacket and about 15mm at the collar. What is really nice is the honey colour of the fleece itself.

When I first saw it on receipt, I was just a little surprised as it was quite shiny and seemed quite light brown. However, it seems to change colour depending on whether in natural light, bright strip lights (the Aero showroom) or normal home lights, a somewhat darker colour. @J.R.303 mentioned that the shine goes away after a while and he applied some Pecards which darkened it; I may give it the chance to get some wear and then see if I play with the colour. The leather itself, especially in the upper panels, has some nice grain.

Ultimately, I am really happy with how comfortable it is. Of course, it is an interpretation of an original, but the quality is excellent, my wife has commented a few times that it is not at all what she thought I was getting, but is very impressed by the stitching on the panels and the overall look of the jacket (good that she is happy, maybe I need to bribe her find a leather jacket that she likes for her birthday). I also want to add that I really appreciated your and John's review of the ELC and Aero merino from which I learned a lot. Incidentally, it was John's original review earlier this year that got me thinking about Irvin's...

How would you say Aero's Merino compares to their standard version in terms of fleece depth & overall weight?