• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aero Leather (Scotland) "Veste Des Rallye"

CombatWombat

So yet again I come to the "brains trust" of VLJ forum.....
I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a Aero Leather "Veste Des Rallye" with alpaca wool lining in a horsehide that was mislabeled/put under the wrong catagory on fleaBay.
It says that it's a "outer coat that's designed for a heavy jersey under it and you should go down a size" if you plan on wearing it as a normal jacket?
Does anyone have experience owning one of these jackets and if so, is it overly baggy in the shoulders and arms or is it generally a all over looser fit like a trenchcoat or "chore coat"?

D97x7

I've not tried the Veste but I do have a Cheyenne which is similar, just longer really. I sized down to a 40 instead of my normal aero 42, this gives a good fit with a shirt or sweater, if I'd gone 42 it would have been more of an overcoat type of fit, so yeah size down for a more fitted look or regular size for much looser, to much so for me. I can't comment on the shoulder fit as I had it made a touch narrower back when they did more custom work.

MikeyB-17

My mate has had one of these for years, can’t comment on sizing but I do know that he hardly ever wears it because it’s too warm-and he has the wool tartan lining. I imagine the alpaca might be even hotter. Beautiful jacket though.

CombatWombat

My mate has had one of these for years, can’t comment on sizing but I do know that he hardly ever wears it because it’s too warm-and he has the wool tartan lining. I imagine the alpaca might be even hotter. Beautiful jacket though.
Ahhh that's a deal breaker for me.
I loved the look of it but was more worried about the fit of it.... though if it's uncomfortably warm in the UK then it's going to be a "sauna suit" down in the Antipodes

CBI

Love the Vest Des Rallye - if I were to order a jacket from Aero, it might be one of these . I purchased a used one (I think from here or TFL) number of years ago but it was just too large for me (by quite a bit really) but I think these are great jackets. Not sure which one on eBay you are looking at, there is a 46 for sale but there is no way the pit to pit meaurmetns is only 23. These jackets fit large. Mine was really well-worn, looked great. Yep, they are heavy and warm. Best to be used in climates where one can actually wear them. BTW, an ebay search for vintage leather long coats, vintage car coats, etc. will result in loads of long-ish coats like the VDR for a fraction of the cost. I don't think longer leather coats are so popular anymore so they tend to go for a song used. Lots of Europe sellers and even with postage to the US, there are some great deals on well-worn jackets.

Last edited:

CombatWombat

Love the Vest Des Rallye - if I were to order a jacket from Aero, it might be one of these . I purchased a used one (I think from here or TFL) number of years ago but it was just too large for me (by quite a bit really) but I think these are great jackets. Not sure which one on eBay you are looking at, there is a 46 for sale but there is no way the pit to pit meaurmetns is only 23. These jackets fit large. Mine was really well-worn, looked great. Yep, they are heavy and warm. Best to be used in climates where one can actually wear them. BTW, an ebay search for vintage leather long coats, vintage car coats, etc. will result in loads of long-ish coats like the VDR for a fraction of the cost. I don't think longer leather coats are so popular anymore so they tend to go for a song used. Lots of Europe sellers and even with postage to the US, there are some great deals on well-worn jackets.
I tend to like the longer jackets myself (usually they have longer sleeves, which is important for my orangutan like arms) and this is in the next state over from me, so I can return it if needed.
I've managed to get the seller to do the measurements again, turns out it's 24 inches P2P because he got it "custom" so it fits like a "normal" jacket rather than oversized "standard" for layering with a thick wool jersey and waistcoat

MikeyB-17

Ahhh that's a deal breaker for me.
I loved the look of it but was more worried about the fit of it.... though if it's uncomfortably warm in the UK then it's going to be a "sauna suit" down in the Antipodes
I keep telling him to get Aero to reline it with cotton drill, but he’s never gotten around to it. In all honesty though, I have a Highwayman in FQHH, and that stuff is heavy. Even with a lighter lining, in a hot climate it’s going to be hard going. I love mine, my no.1 jacket these days, but it won’t get worn again until the weather cools down.

CombatWombat

I keep telling him to get Aero to reline it with cotton drill, but he’s never gotten around to it. In all honesty though, I have a Highwayman in FQHH, and that stuff is heavy. Even with a lighter lining, in a hot climate it’s going to be hard going. I love mine, my no.1 jacket these days, but it won’t get worn again until the weather cools down.
I've got two jackets in FQHH and they aren't too bad for winter/autumn wear when riding my bike to the Blue Mountains (west of Sydney)
I saw it and thought it might work as a "it's a bloody freezing night to go down to the pub" jacket but I honestly think it's overkill from the comments I've got from people (the wool lining being utter overkill is what seems to come up alot)

Harris_HTM

I own 4 overcoats / longer coats by Aero: a FQHH Mariner, Alpaca lined; a FQHH Long Half Belt, Shearling Lined; a FQHH Barnstormer, Shearling lined; and a badalassi Teamster, lined in tweed. What provides warmth is not the leather, but the lining. The leather works more as a wind breaker.
From all the above jackets it is the two shearling lined ones that are really meant for freezing temperatures. The tweed is also quite warm. The Alpaca less.

CombatWombat

I own 4 overcoats / longer coats by Aero: a FQHH Mariner, Alpaca lined; a FQHH Long Half Belt, Shearling Lined; a FQHH Barnstormer, Shearling lined; and a badalassi Teamster, lined in tweed. What provides warmth is not the leather, but the lining. The leather works more as a wind breaker.
From all the above jackets it is the two shearling lined ones that are really meant for freezing temperatures. The tweed is also quite warm. The Alpaca less.
Unfortunately in Australia we cop very little in the way of "leather weather", so anything that is lined tends to be warm down here......tweed I wouldn't even try unless it's in the depths of a incredibly cold winter in a inland area like Canberra, Shearling would be bloody uncomfortable at anytime of year anywhere in Australia

Southoftheborder

Just as a matter of interest for anyone searching the thread. All the Aero overcoats like this one are sized to fit over a jacket or suit so are one or two sizes too big to wear over a thick shirt or jumper. I had a Vesta at one time that was just too big over a sweater. I've also had and still have other Aero button up longer coats, and and generally you need to size one or two down unless you are going to wear them over jackets.

For instance a Cheyenne I had a few years ago was a 40 which would normally be far too small but fitted me well over a jumper while the 44 Vesta which is my size was a tent.

Last edited: