• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aero Leather is only a Business...

robrinay

I’ve just read on TFL that Aero recently introduced a non refundable deposit in their terms and conditions. While I’m aware that a few of us don’t actually read the terms and conditions it’s still legally binding once you tick the box - nuff said!

Brettafett

BK gets a lot of heat here, although their jackets are amazing. I placed an order a while back, and for various reasons a few weeks before the jacket was made, requested a refund (for personal reasons)... And was refunded in full within the week.
Just saying... Aero makes tons of jackets... I don't buy the non-refundable deposit nonsense (UNLESS one is requesting a customised jacket that requires special materials).
Customer service over t&cs any day!

Ken at Aero Leather

This is a one of, I'm not going to get into this online but these factors come into it

I expected this anyway, Stephane threated to "expose" Aero if we didn't refund him yet AGAIN
He has placed six orders with Aero since 2015
He has cancelled three of these during the "wait" period and had three full refunds for the others
The latest order involved 20 emails to me, no idea how many more to other folk in Aeroi
This all costs money and time, this is why we added "No refunds on deposits" to our terms a few months ago
That doesn't mean we'll stick to that 100%, one has to earn the right to have the rule enforced :(
As Stephane pointed out we did refund one of his latest two deposits

A line in the sand needs to be drawn eventually

tefouane

This is a one of, I'm not going to get into this online but these factors come into it

I expected this anyway, Stephane threated to "expose" Aero if we didn't refund him yet AGAIN
He has placed six orders with Aero since 2015
He has cancelled three of these during the "wait" period and had three full refunds for the others
The latest order involved 20 emails to me, no idea how many more to other folk in Aeroi
This all costs money and time, this is why we added "No refunds on deposits" to our terms a few months ago
That doesn't mean we'll stick to that 100%, one has to earn the right to have the rule enforced :(
As Stephane pointed out we did refund one of his latest two deposits

A line in the sand needs to be drawn eventually
Glad to see you are still alive...your mail seems not working properly...
Make more search in your customers database...The first aero I have bought was in 2007 (it was a B3)...
The 3.full refund were on sales page items...
I'm unfortunately not from your good enough customers. So 230 euros for replying to 20 mails ? That's expensive !is not it the role of a customer service? and how do you do for people who ask you questions without ordering? you do not answer them or you charge those who place orders? know what to expect now...Not very glorious.

Last edited:

dinomartino1

This is also a three page thread on the fedora lounge and these where my replies.

Reply 1
"I feel sorry for you but if you where aware of and agreed to the terms and conditions they did nothing wrong.

Some people have blind loyalty to jacket makers, I am not in that category.
I have had disagreements with Ken on the VLJ forum [but in a civil manner] so I am no shill for aero.

Poor customer service, very long wait times, weeks to respond to emails with no phone contacts is one of the reasons why my latest jacket was from aero.
Mine would be classed as a custom jacket as the waistband was made wider than stock and it was cut shorter, the jacket was too short [my fault], they paid the return postage and I received the same model jacket but requested different leather and lining and was not charged a restocking fee or any other cost but the return postage and that was the first time I have bought from them."

Reply 2

"I do sympathise but as I said before you agreed to those terms, the unexpected happened thats shitty but there really is nothing more to be said, wherein have aero done wrong by you by the terms you agreed to."

Last edited:

tefouane

Aaaaaaaaaaand silence.
Silence ???
You're thinking you are right , I think I'm right, so.....silence
I'm not blind about your point of view : some of you are thinking "ughhh , I will certainly order some Aero jackets in the future so keep calm and follow the movement..." Sheeps...
This story is absolutely representative of a customer service that is far from being a real one.

jonbuilder

There something lacking with the OP story about hitting a deer and needing a refund on his jacket order. If he had insurance I would think a totaled car would require pay off of more than the deposit he is requesting from Aero. If the car is not totaled It seems insurance with cover repairs less deductible. Considering the way the story was presented here and on the Fedora Lounge omitting material background information I would not be surprised the alleged car accident has nothing do due with the OP wanting to cancel yet another order with Aero

KariJ

Financial losses are too often concidered as losses one can list as damages or losses One feels or in future can be feeling. Thanks to US movies and different legistlational traditions.

Financial losses can also be losses that are formed by reasons where somebody starts a process that leads to situation where companys personnell is used to design measure communicate U name it with a ”customer”

In this kind of a deposit system also companys risk for working and also customers decision to stay in his order is shared.

In (still) valid EU customer protection laws tere is no paragraf that makes one to be eligible for refunding of deposit if the financial status of buyer just changes.

Ken and AERO probably has nothing to do with accident. It was probably not a deer Ken nor AERO set loose and in the way that caused accident.
In my humble opinion AERO is not a party that should bear all risks of customers ”happenings” In AEROs ”rules” that is very well expressed.

I also took a risk when ordering a custom jacket from AERO. I trusted them and took also my own actions to ensure the product shall be as I wish. I got what I wanted and AERO served very detail oriented me well.

in my opinion I can not issue any kind of responsibility to MR Ken Calder nor to AERO for example an accident where I fell down and broke my Brand new A10 As documented here. Nor I sould start whining to Ken if it is hard for me to pay what I have ordered. Thatswhy I always pay the whole sum in advance. Fair play But that is only me.

As Gentlemen here have suggested I would (at this moment take my hat off from my head and politly ask Ken if it still is possible) to deposit my deposit to wait for better days

Just my opinion not judging nobody

petermack09

Why not just put the order on hold till a later date and make the jacket then ? Has This been asked for ? Has this been offered?
I personally have seen how Aeros customer service works,,,I just don’t feel the need to batter it to death on any forums,,
Just don’t buy from that company and take business elsewhere,sorted.

B-Man2

Two sides to every story. Once the second part is told, it offers a different perspective. Not going to judge on this one, but I do have to question the forum being used by anyone to leverage public opinion to their side of the issue. This seems to be something that is done here from time to time with a modicum of success . I specifically remember an incident a while back, where a gentleman claiming to be an older vet joined and utilized this forum to get a free jacket from Shawn at 5 Star. He complained and criticized 5 Star continuously over a period of days about the odor of a G-1 jacket he had purchased from Shawn and stirred the pot until Shawn agreed to make him a new jacket at no charge and let him keep the first jacket as well. Once the fellow got what he wanted he was gone from the forum, never to be heard from again. The two issues have nothing in common, but it does show that VLJ should not be the sounding board for solving someone’s issues with another person or a jacket manufacturer. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

Micawber

This dispute is between an individual and a company, I'm afraid garnering opinions across multiple forums is rarely productive. "Going public" will not settle the affair and may lead to further frustration by those directly involved and positions becoming more entrenched.

Not a good thread.

Bombing IP

Every one has issues in life what you purchase today next week may make you wish you had not spent the money .Because something else came up that needs paying for ie a necessity not luxury . What the deer has to do with Aero refunding you is not a strong argument ,I used to own a business and I can honestly say the worst part of it was dealing with the customers ,and holding you to ransom with vindictiveness reprisals if you did not go with there wacky wishes . Tefouane I also think that airing this on the forum is not the way to go ,how many people at Aero did you discuss this issue with ,if they were not willing to refund you the rest I would say the issue is dead .

Jeff

dinomartino1

Two sides to every story. Once the second part is told, it offers a different perspective. Not going to judge on this one, but I do have to question the forum being used by anyone to leverage public opinion to their side of the issue. This seems to be something that is done here from time to time with a modicum of success . I specifically remember an incident a while back, where a gentleman claiming to be an older vet joined and utilized this forum to get a free jacket from Shawn at 5 Star. He complained and criticized 5 Star continuously over a period of days about the odor of a G-1 jacket he had purchased from Shawn and stirred the pot until Shawn agreed to make home a new jacket at no charge and let him keep the first jacket as well. Once the fellow got what he wanted he was gone from the forum, never to be heard from again. The two issues have nothing in common, but it does show that VLJ should not be the sounding board for solving someone’s issues with another person or a jacket manufacturer. Just my opinion.

I agree but if a complaint is valid it should be aired as a warning to others but both sides have to able to have their say so people can make a fair judgement in regards to wether they will have any dealings with the company themselves.
The problem is people ranting without a valid reason.
As a wise man [my dad] used to tell me "Son it's no use trying to reason with ignorance"
OP should have waited a while, calmed down and looked at the matter in a more rational way because all he has done is show himself in a bad light on the two main jacket forums on the web.

"so keep calm and follow the movement..." Sheeps..."

For anyone else in the flock old enough to remember this.

petermack09

I agree but if a complaint is valid it should be aired as a warning to others but both sides have to able to have their say so people can make a fair judgement in regards to wether they will have any dealings with the company themselves.
The problem is people ranting without a valid reason.
As a wise man [my dad] used to tell me "Son it's no use trying to reason with ignorance"
OP should have waited a while, calmed down and looked at the matter in a more rational way because all he has done is show himself in a bad light on the two main jacket forums on the web.

"so keep calm and follow the movement..." Sheeps..."

For anyone else in the flock old enough to remember this.

I haven’t seen any (ranting)only forum members giving their opinions,,
Haven’t seen the OP ranting either,,he is just giving his take on things,,same as Ken has now done.Im sure there will be another drama along soon for us to mull over .
I’m glad I will no longer buy from any dealer/company.Every deal I’ve done on vlj or fedora lounge has gone great and with fantastic communication,,that’s how I prefer to get things done.

ausreenactor

I see the 'low' in all this is the threatening online behaviour and then going public across two forums (as a reward for getting 80% of your jacket money back from Aero).