• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aero Late WW2 Multi panel RAF Flying jacket

Lord Flashheart

I'll post a few other pics over the weekend but here's my Aero Late WW2 multi panel RAF Flying jacket. I like the multi panel detailing and it feels just right "out of the box". Aero have been good to deal with, accepting Covid and all that, and this is just what I hoped for when I ordered in January. Size 42 fits me fine on the usual one size up principle.
IMG_1791.jpeg
IMG_5144.jpeg
IMG_5144.jpeg

Lord Flashheart

Thanks Guys. The fleece is not as thick as I was expecting to be honest but is very comfortable on. Now I'll just have to wait patiently for the winter. In the meantime those A2's won't wear themselves will they? :)

Smithy

Looks the beans Flashy!

If you've handled something like an Aviation Leathercraft or a Cirrus first then you'll get a shock at how much lighter a "proper" pukka Irvin is compared to them.

I mentioned it in another thread how Irvins were the one that got me started on this jacket malarkey and even after all these years of this nonsense they're still my favourite.

Now you just need to beat the snot out of it ;)

John Lever

Very true Smithy. My old favourite repro was I believe made by the predecessors of the British Sheepskin Company (edit - Polden Sheepksins) and it is certainly way heavier but really good for deep winter https://www.british-sheepskin.co.uk...ying-jacket-ww11-raf-sheepskin-flying-jacket/

You're not wrong about the shock though - I was rather expecting the Aero to be a tank and I've been pleasantly surprised it isn't !
I think Polden were part of Fenland Tannery so the skins would be very good.

Lord Flashheart

I think Polden were part of Fenland Tannery so the skins would be very good.
Thats' interesting John. At that time I had just got my PPL and Transair offered them for a good price way before I even realised repro jackets were a thing. Still love my Sportys Pilot shop A2 that was my first leather jacket and came from Transair too. Must get that jacket out of storage and see how it fits.

Smithy

Thats' interesting John. At that time I had just got my PPL and Transair offered them for a good price way before I even realised repro jackets were a thing. Still love my Sportys Pilot shop A2 that was my first leather jacket and came from Transair too. Must get that jacket out of storage and see how it fits.

Jackets such as those and Aviation Leathercraft, Cirrus, etc aren't bad jackets at all, they're just not accurate if you want something that is close to the real deal.

Saying that, 99.9999% of the general public could not tell the difference between an Aero/Eastman and an Aviation Leathercraft even if you shoved them in their faces and therein lies the lunacy of this hobby. We worry about minutiae which is arguably utterly ridiculous. Doesn't stop us doing it though does it? ;)

B-Man2

Pretty sure that was somewhere on Burt’s list, Tim. ;)

edit: yep, #5.
When you actually stop and think about it Jan it's actually pretty daft!
Hmmm ...... Yep #5......here it is ;)
5. Regardless of how we as collectors view these jackets, most people can’t tell the difference between one A2 from another, so remember that, when deciding if you need the $1200 repro or the $500. one.

Lord Flashheart

Yes, yes, yes Guys ... But we know don't we?

EDIT. What am I saying? What do I really know? Maybe I should say most of us think we know the differences ... and some of us do. I don't include myself in that list but I have grown to enjoy and appreciate the fine detail that makes the difference.

And my enthusiasm here has been made welcome/tolerated here even if my ignorance shines through!:cool:

EDIT. That's enough humility for now. What would The Cardinal say?

Last edited:

Lord Flashheart

I like that Flash, I like it a lot. Are those photos a good representation of the fleece colour?

Hi Micawber. Bit later than planned but here's another pic of the jacket. I do think in the flesh the fleece looks darker so I reckon its my phone lightening things up. As I think we're in the same neck of the woods if its of interest I'm sure we could always meet up so you can judge for yourself.
IMG_4698.jpeg