• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aero Horse hide

Garzo

I've been wondering about the oil-pull leather myself and from the description, it sounds similar in nature to the ''naked cowhide' used by Schott on some of their jackets. I'm sure the Aero leather is much tougher than what Schott uses, but the naked cowhide does not have a finish, which allows the natural oils of the hide to surface and condition the leather and has a softer overall feel and is much more pliable.
I bought a Highwayman in the mottled FQ horsehide (which has since sold out), and while I really like it, I see that it is very heavy. I used to have a Highwayman in the old jerky FQ but that was more of a mid-weight and much lighter. The mottled stuff really is tough -- it's like kevlar. I don't know how they're able to sew it together. Must be some powerful sewing machines they got.
I'd love to compare the mottled leather to the regular FQ horsehide.
I've been moistening the jacket and massaging it and twisting it in the hopes of breaking it a bit. With the mottled surface, it already looks broken in, but that's just the surface. The thick leather is still very hard and feels like it's an inch thick.

les_garten

Garzo said:
I've been wondering about the oil-pull leather myself and from the description, it sounds similar in nature to the ''naked cowhide' used by Schott on some of their jackets. I'm sure the Aero leather is much tougher than what Schott uses, but the naked cowhide does not have a finish, which allows the natural oils of the hide to surface and condition the leather and has a softer overall feel and is much more pliable.
I bought a Highwayman in the mottled FQ horsehide (which has since sold out), and while I really like it, I see that it is very heavy. I used to have a Highwayman in the old jerky FQ but that was more of a mid-weight and much lighter. The mottled stuff really is tough -- it's like kevlar. I don't know how they're able to sew it together. Must be some powerful sewing machines they got.
I'd love to compare the mottled leather to the regular FQ horsehide.
I've been moistening the jacket and massaging it and twisting it in the hopes of breaking it a bit. With the mottled surface, it already looks broken in, but that's just the surface. The thick leather is still very hard and feels like it's an inch thick.
Hi Garzo et al,
Don't get me wrong, I like my oil pull. It's not like the sample I received from Aero though. It becomes very supple, not quite like suede, but like a used pair of gloves. It sure ain't nothin' like Aero FQ. That mottled FQHH Hwy man I would like to see! I don't know if you have read the Board policies or not, but if you mention a Jacket of yours within your first 50 posts and do not include Pictures, you are subject to being banned from the Forum ;-)

MikeyB-17

Paddy had an A-2 in Oil Pull which he posted pics of several times. He hadn't babied it during the breaking in process, and it looked like a well-worn original. He had a lot of compliments on it.

les_garten

MikeyB-17 said:
Paddy had an A-2 in Oil Pull which he posted pics of several times. He hadn't babied it during the breaking in process, and it looked like a well-worn original. He had a lot of compliments on it.

Hi,
That was a nice looking jacket. Have you ever seen the Jacket in Person? I have one as well.

MikeyB-17

les_garten said:
Hi, hat was a nice looking jacket. Have you ever seen the Jacket in Person? I have one as well.

No, never had the pleasure. I was meant to meet Paddy at Duxford a few years ago, but circumstances conspired against me and I missed him.

A

Anonymous

I had an Aero oil pull A-2 several years ago but ended up selling it on as it never seemed to retain any sleeve creases or character and showed up scuffs a lot more than an normal A-2 does. It also became very matt and dull. It was also a bit too red IMVHO.

Just my own experiences.

Dave

les_garten

JACKET_ HEAD said:
I had an Aero oil pull A-2 several years ago but ended up selling it on as it never seemed to retain any sleeve creases or character and showed up scuffs a lot more than an normal A-2 does. It also became very matt and dull. It was also a bit too red IMVHO.

Just my own experiences.

Dave

What size was it? I amy have bought it! Your assessment of my Jacket is perfect.

les_garten

MikeyB-17 said:
les_garten said:
Hi, hat was a nice looking jacket. Have you ever seen the Jacket in Person? I have one as well.

No, never had the pleasure. I was meant to meet Paddy at Duxford a few years ago, but circumstances conspired against me and I missed him.

Mikey,
I can tell you that how these Jackets look in a "Photograph" has nothing to do with how it looks in person. I'm still not saying I don't like it. But I think "most" folks here would get it and sell it. I never met a Jacket I didn't like, I just like some better than orhers...

les_garten said:
JACKET_ HEAD said:

Just my own experiences.

Dave

What size was it? I amy have bought it! Your assessment of my Jacket is perfect.

Hi Les_garten,
I sold the Aero oil pull To you.I loved the jacket, but Aero made the zipper length 22" and I needed 23 1/2"

Todd

les_garten

Good Wear Fan said:
les_garten said:
JACKET_ HEAD said:

Just my own experiences.

Dave

Hi Les_garten,
I sold the Aero oil pull To you.I loved the jacket, but Aero made the zipper length 22" and I needed 23 1/2"

Todd

Hi Todd,
Ahhh, good deal. I like the jacket, a lot, but I can see that from hide samples and pictures, most would be surprised by how the Jacket ends up.

The sample Mark Moye sent me had more gloss to it and much thicker.I did get some "great jacket"comments from strangers in the short time that I had worn it.I would love to have one in FQHH oil pull.Yes it has a very different feel to it,not everyone would want one.

les_garten

Good Wear Fan said:
The sample Mark Moye sent me had more gloss to it and much thicker.I did get some "great jacket"comments from strangers in the short time that I had worn it.I would love to have one in FQHH oil pull.Yes it has a very different feel to it,not everyone would want one.

^^^^^^EXACTLY!

MikeyB-17

les_garten said:
Mikey,
I can tell you that how these Jackets look in a "Photograph" has nothing to do with how it looks in person. I'm still not saying I don't like it. But I think "most" folks here would get it and sell it. I never met a Jacket I didn't like, I just like some better than orhers...

I'm sure you're right. I just remembered Paddy posting pics of it more than once, and he was always greeted with favourable comments. I think he eventually sold it.

les_garten

MikeyB-17 said:
les_garten said:
Mikey,

I'm sure you're right. I just remembered Paddy posting pics of it more than once, and he was always greeted with favourable comments. I think he eventually sold it.

Hi,
Yeah, he did sell it, and those Pictures made me want to buy one. Those pix of his were spectacular, and made me want an Oil pull.