• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aero Horse hide

John Lever

Does any one have a jacket made from Vintage FQHH or brown Oil Pull HH ?
I have samples here but would like to know members issues/views.
Thanks,

rich

I have a Highwayman in the black 'vintage' HH John. I was expecting it to have an aged appearance but really it looked
brand new and I wondered what the criteria was for calling it vintage - in fact I had to check the invoice, which stated it was vintage. The leather itself is very thick and stiff and has taken some time to break in, to me it appears to be of the highest quality and the jacket itself is beautifully made. It will easily stand up by itself. The leather on an ELC A2 - which is said to be the correct weight - is quite thin and pliable in comparison, but I'm sure all my Aero really needs is more time out of the wardrobe.

John Lever

Thanks Rich, I agree on the Vintage, it looks new, but perhaps the name refers to the colour ?
My favourite is the brown oil pull. It is similar in weight but has a dull sheen which is very attractive. I am starting to prefer less shiny finishes.

A

Anonymous

John,
I've had 3 Aero jackets in the vintage front quarter HH. A Highwayman, a Half-Belt long and an A-2. Lovely jackets all and oozed quality. Within days the hide looks knocked about but it takes years to break them in ! The finish starts out shiny but soon dulls.

The big problem is that they weigh WAY too much and even, once broken in, are very stiff in cold weather (something to do with the oils methinks).

The colour of mine was a little too red for a russet.

If Aero did (and they might now) a lighter weight hide, that would be very nice.

I have some photos of the Highwayman and A-2 on a disc somewhere. If I can find them I'll post them here.

Cheers,
J_H

rich

John Lever said:
Thanks Rich, I agree on the Vintage, it looks new, but perhaps the name refers to the colour ?
My favourite is the brown oil pull. It is similar in weight but has a dull sheen which is very attractive. I am starting to prefer less shiny finishes.

I hadn't thought of that, it makes more sense. :oops: I like their oil pull too, I notice that on their sale pages these seem to go particularly quickly. Must not buy another jacket this year though .............

John Lever

Thanks, the jacket they are making for me has double thickness patches on the elbows and shoulders. I have found that very thick leather can almost bruise my elbows when bending the arms, so comfort is an issue.

DiamondDave

John,

I have an "Oil Pull" horsehide A-1 jacket. This is in the russet color, although I find it a bit red as well. However the hide looks fantastic and in only a couple of weeks the "shine" came down markedly and the jacket takes on a life of its own when it comes to that worn look. It really is a superior hide, even if not correct for A-2's or A-1's I think any other jacket that did not require such "perfection" would benefit greatly from this great hide.

DD

John Lever

DiamondDave said:
John,

I have an "Oil Pull" horsehide A-1 jacket. This is in the russet color, although I find it a bit red as well. However the hide looks fantastic and in only a couple of weeks the "shine" came down markedly and the jacket takes on a life of its own when it comes to that worn look. It really is a superior hide, even if not correct for A-2's or A-1's I think any other jacket that did not require such "perfection" would benefit greatly from this great hide.

DD
Thanks, I am sure we would all love to see some pics.

rich

Some pics of my Aero HWM........... it's tougher than I remembered it!

al1-1.jpg

al2-1.jpg

al3.jpg

Vcruiser

Aero FQHH comes fairly smooth and shiny when new..but grains and marbles up with wear....

100_0411.jpg

Here's my Aero Vintage brown HH...which is somewhat lighter weight and grainy right out of the box. It has more of a flat finish with slight sheen. It is also softer with little stiffness....

100_0412.jpg

My Aero Vintage black HH is also lighterweight than the FQHH...with somewhat more grain right out of the box....but resembles more the FQHH as far as some stiffness and more shine...

100_0409.jpg

Van

Vcruiser

John Lever said:
Thanks Van

You're welcome,John.
I must say that the Vintage brown HH that Aero offers is much more comfortable to wear. Slightly lighterweight...it is also grainy and much softer from the getgo. Probably more in line with most truely vintage leather jackets that I have owned. However...nothing seems to marble up like Aero's heavy FQHH...probably "due" to it's stiffness and finish. When broken-in..it's like putting on an old houseslipper that has formed and fashioned to shape. When new I used a plastic spray bottle to get the leather quite wet...and wear it till dry. It helped to mold and relax much of the stiffness. I tried that with LW hvy FQHH....and it didn't work. The LW finish is different than Aero's and seems to be much more impervious to that method.
Considering what I was looking for...Aero's FQHH fits the bill. Once past the break-in period...it becomes a very unique comfy hide..IMO.
Van

John Lever

The russet fqhh looks amazing and I know the quality is absolutely top class. The brown oil pull is more subtle and might be more appropriate on a 30 's jacket. I'm torn equally between the two.

Vcruiser

John Lever said:
The russet fqhh looks amazing and I know the quality is absolutely top class. The brown oil pull is more subtle and might be more appropriate on a 30 's jacket. I'm torn equally between the two.

John
If you are doubling up on the elbows...or shoulders..then the Vintage "brown" HH is much more pliable. I would say the Aero regular hvy FQHH is much too thick to double up on anything.
I don't have an HH oil pull...but I do have a oil pull steer HalfBelt.
Perhaps the oil pull HH is defferent...but the oil pull steer is suedy on the high points...or as it wears..rather than becoming grainy.
Van

les_garten

Hi John,
I have a bunch of Aero's. The FQHH has been covered a ton in this thread so I'll pass on making the same comments as everyone else here. I really like the Oil-pull, but it is very different from everything else out there. It very quickly looks and fells like suede. It also soaks up anything around it like suede. Even though I love mine, I can only say make sure that is what you are looking for. I have an A-2 in Oil Pull.

les_garten

John Lever said:
Not sure I like the suede issue. Could look naff after a few years.

Xactly. Mine is a uniform sueded finish all over. I am sure that anyone who saw it would think it was a suede jacket. I like it cause it's different, but it ain't for everyone. Just thought I would post a word of caution.

T-Bolt

Thanks for that heads up, Les. I would be pissed, myself, if the smooth leather took on a suede look. Just my opinion though. :cool:

Ted

les_garten

Hi,
It's not exactly like I thought it would be either, but I kinda like it. One thing though, it Kinda makes an Aero look like a Mall Jacket! Based solely on the look and feel.

Vcruiser

I have a similar feeling about the oil pull as Les.
I ordered a steer oil pull '30s HalfBelt from Aero's sale page.
When I received it..I was very surprised. I wouldn't say disappointed..but surprised. The jacket fit perfectly...but kinda cardboardy stiff for steer that is just a little heavier than the heaviest A2 hide. If you can imagine...it has a antiqued appearance resulting from a oiled suede type hide. You can take your finger nail and leave a light colored scratch...but then rub it out blending it with your fingers from the "oil' in the leather....although it doesn't feel greasy. Not as nappy...as true suede..it still leans in that direction rather than a normally smooth finished leather...enough for lint to cling to it somewhat. However..it is the type of hide that outside conditions just enhances the battered look. Unusual...that's why I kept it. Never seen another hide quite like it...but then..doubt if I would custom order and pay full price for a jacket made from it.
...but I do kinda like it...ha!
Van