• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aero History

B-Man2

First off, for full disclosure purposes let me say that I don’t own stock in Aero ( it’s a privately held company so you can’t) and I’m not affiliated with the company in any way other than I own a few jackets made by them, as many of us do . Lastly, I’m in the que to purchase an Aero Irvin with black sheepskin fleece and not touting Aero as a means of getting any favors or free items from them. Now having made that disclaimer, I was always a little curious at how Aero of Beacon NY came to become Aero of Scotland . (Ken ; Sorry if you’ve explained all this in another post, I just didn’t get the memo;)) What was the history of the process of purchasing the Aero name and what made someone think about doing that and then taking all of the archived records and doing all of the research to duplicate jackets that were made 30 or 40 years earlier . I’m not talking about the history you’ll find on their website, but rather the behind the scenes business considerations prior to actually making the decision to purchase the rights to the Aero name and developing it into the business its become today, and lastly other than the name are there any other direct connections that carried over from the original Aero from Beacon NY. The initial investigative research and business analysis must have been delicate and at the same time over whelming. Afterward what made you decide to relocate the company to Scotland as opposed to just keeping it in Beacon NY? If I’m the only one with an interest in this, then maybe Ken wouldn’t mind passing on some info via a private discussion . So does anyone else have an interest in something like this?
Regards to all
B-Man2

Bombing IP

I brought it up in a previous post ,I will have to find it . I live 40 miles south of Beacon been there many times when there used to Antique shops around . Its now a depressed industrial town with not much going on . I think Ken did not have any intention of restarting Aero in Beacon NY he is Scottish so its needs to be in Scotland . What I do not know is who owns Aero today that never gets brought up .

BIP

Silver Surfer

uh, when was the last time you were in beacon ny? i understand that it is becoming "gentrified", with a lot of those old factories becoming condos and artists lofts. aero was long out of biz before aero scotland was around.thus, no carry over from the states to scotland. except for the name. in another thread, i mentioned having just landed a mc-aviator jacket that was made in england in the late '40s, and is fitted with aero zippers. no, not aero scotland, but a separate company that as lever wrote, made sewing needles and other fabricated goods. this aero co. was not related to aero scotland or aero beacon. if i am not mistaken the word "aero" was used for aviation gear since the beginning of aviation.

Last edited:

johnwayne

Not dissimilar situation with ELC and Roughwear, the name I believe 'bought' by Gary Eastman quite some years ago now.
Goodwear have an agreement with Aero to use the name rather than Acme as JC used to but no one else makes a Roughwear other than ELC, as far as I know.

Silver Surfer

"rough wear" is used by buzz, and real mc coys [toys mc coys] in japan. btw, i have an old label removed from a trashed 1930s hb the shows two rams head butting on a gree field and "rough in"embroidered in it. this was a rough wear civy line from the '30s.

Lorenzo_l

Not dissimilar situation with ELC and Roughwear, the name I believe 'bought' by Gary Eastman quite some years ago now.
Goodwear have an agreement with Aero to use the name rather than Acme as JC used to but no one else makes a Roughwear other than ELC, as far as I know.

Both Goodwear and Bill Kelso manufacture Rough Wear A-2 contract repros.

Southoftheborder

Did Aero buy the rights to the name or was it just long defunct and so up for grabs? I always assumed that was the case anyway.... They were called The Transatlantic Clothing Company before I think.

Pilot

Haven’t been back here in a while. Just ordered a Platon Dubow, no reply, no order confirmation. Should I be worried?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not at all... just sweat it out... discussed here a few times..

Pilot

Welcome... Not my taste of handling business, but apparently no so bad at all..
..all good for you...

33-1729

In the United States Gary Eastman filed for the trademark “Aero Leather Clo. Co.” in 2000 and this was abandoned 2003 (S/N 76101490) followed by FGF Industry S.p.A. filing for the trademark “Aero Leather Clothing Co.” in 2011 and abandoning it in 2012 (S/N 79096885). It appears Mr. Eastman used the US contract label style and FGF Industry used the civilian label style of the original Aero Leather Clothing Co., Inc. in Beacon, NY in their trademarks.

tm.JPG

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfiel...h&a_search=Submit+Query&a_search=Submit+Query

stanier

All prime makers from Japan do the same ( for more $$¥¥¥££€€ though:):):))

Gosh, yeah, I think the world and his dog make a Roughwear and for the life of me I don’t know why. Purely my opinion of course, but that collar makes it the most unforgiving contract, unless you’re stick thin and wear a well worn small size, even for a typical 1940’s body type. A 21st century body usually ends up as an Elizabethan 1st collared gent at best and coco the clown at worst.

Occasionally, someone, and usually the folk on this forum carry it off, but it’s a toughy.

Just my opinion of course, but it’s a strongly held one.