• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aero A2 after 20 years of every day use

Ken at Aero Leather

This was mine from around 1980 to about five years ago, one of only two originals I ever kept for myself
Yes I put most of the wear on it :oops:, The new cuffs were only put on just before I sold it

Ken A-2 Aero.jpg

ZuZu

I'm not denigrating anything. I just don't buy into the "my repro is just like the real thing" twaddle which is what it is. Forget the leather, details, etc but one of the overriding things with all the modern, high end repros are that they're made a darn sight better and with more aesthetic consideration than any original, they're over-engineered compared to them.

I don't know how much you've handled wartime military equipment or kit but nearly all of it is exactly the same, regardless of nationality. Unsurprising really because an A-2 was a piece of flying kit, and manufactured to pass inspection prior to issue primarily on the basis of whether it functioned and not solely on what it looked like. That's why nearly every single original A-2 will have some cosmetic flaw to it, wonky stitching, pockets/collars/studs out of alignment, etc, and most jackets have several of these things, if not all of them.

Don't argue with me unless you read my posts! I'm the one advocating for repro makers including little "flaws" in their wares. I think most of these flaws are the result of industrial sewing and not actually flaws at all. "...wonky stitching, pockets/collars/studs/ out of alignment, etc..." are not really flaws- just the result of industrial sewing. I ADVOCATE for repro makers to try to subtly copy this but it is YOU customers- especially the limey ones- who want perfection in their bespoke jackets. Also to do it right copying "flaws" is much harder than making a perfect looking jacket.
Especially don't patronize me with "...I don't know how much military equipment...' type statements. I'm sure you've handled your share of military "equipment" ;) !

I can tell you that United States military clothing from the WW2 era was probably the best made stuff ever. Those flaws you see in A-2s weren't! Just the way they made leather jackets back in the day.

ZuZu

It becomes frustrating after a while to hear a few people continuously complain about the minutia and deficiencies of current repros compared to originals of 80 years ago . It’s been said time and again that 99.9 % of the public wouldn’t even notice the differences if someone sat down with them and explained the nuances of each contract . More importantly .... they wouldn’t care . To coin a Shakespearean quote , It is “we few, we very special few “ who “Agonize “ over these subtle differences.
Smithy (Tim) you are spot on in all of your comments . The bottom line is if complete and total accuracy is what you require, if you are totally detailed oriented and anything less is to be picked apart and trashed, If the differences in wether stitching crosses in the middle of the epaulettes box or below it, then buy an original and in all probability you may or may not be happy with it because each original may have those or additional flaws as well. BUT... you will have an authentic WWII A2 jacket. The down side is that you may not be able to abuse your jacket through continuous wear or by wearing the hell out of it because of its materials and its age, but that’s the trade off you’ll have to live with. On the other hand if you own a decent repro and wear your original on special occasions you may or may not find happiness . It all depends on you and how you view this thread.
Really? I leave the forum for ten years and we are still whining when an actual discussion is had about repro maker details? Look how far it has all come in those ten years! Yes- "We the few" insane jacketeers have made it so you nincompoops of today have grainy leather, good copies of various contracts and yes- BETTER DETAILS! If YOU honestly don't care as 99.9% of the public doesn't then as I have said before- buy a Cooper or an Avirex and be happy!

B-Man2

Really? I leave the forum for ten years and we are still whining when an actual discussion is had about repro maker details? Look how far it has all come in those ten years! Yes- "We the few" insane jacketeers have made it so you nincompoops of today have grainy leather, good copies of various contracts and yes- BETTER DETAILS! If YOU honestly don't care as 99.9% of the public doesn't then as I have said before- buy a Cooper or an Avirex and be happy!
Whining ?? Nincompoops ??
Why Zu... I’m flattered and elated that you took time from your busy schedule of bullshit and telling everyone how great you are and how you’d be an indispensable asset to any repro maker making jackets today, to focus in on me and my opinions . Particularly with your overwhelming knowledge of the A2 jacket. Thats of course as long as a repro maker isn’t making a Goldsmith Repro, which with all of your self described knowledge and intellect you had never heard of and didn’t know shit about. Yes Zu ... I was waiting for you... patiently .. but I knew you’d be coming after me because your so predictable. Anyone with opinions different than yours has to be attacked and ridiculed by you, because you are a pathetic little man with a big mouth and a total lack of, or sense of security and self worth. Consequently you lash out insults hidden behind the safety of your keyboard and you attack other people’s thoughts, ideas and opinions. How sad you are. Here’s a thought... why not stop hurdling insults at people, who don’t care what the hell you think or what you have supposedly accomplished in the ten years that YOU, “THE FEW,”have been no where around, and try to make your points intellectually rather than ridiculing people. You know, I really don’t like going head to head with people like you on this nice little forum, where most people respect each other’s ideas and opinions , but in your case... I’m going to make an exception. I’ll gladly exchange insults with you whenever you have the desire to do so, but let’s take it off the forum and use the Private Messenger. There you can challenge me and my opinions and create all the bullshit you have become known for creating . It’s just that no one will have to endure it or be bothered with it. So whaddya think Zu , you wanna take some shots at me go ahead , give it your best. My PM is
B-Man2 .

Last edited:

ZuZu

Whining ?? Nincompoops ??
Why Zu... I’m flattered and elated that you took time from your busy schedule of bullshit and telling everyone how great you are and how you’d be an indispensable asset to any repro maker making jackets today, to focus in on me and my opinions . Particularly with your overwhelming knowledge of the A2 jacket. Thats of course as long as a repro maker isn’t making a Goldsmith Repro, which with all of your self described knowledge and intellect you had never heard of and didn’t know shit about. Yes Zu ... I was waiting for you... patiently .. but I knew you’d be coming after me because your so fucking predictable. Anyone with opinions different than yours has to be attacked and ridiculed by you, because you are a pathetic little man with a big mouth and a total lack of, or sense of security and self worth. Consequently you lash out insults hidden behind the safety of your keyboard and you attack other people’s thoughts, ideas and opinions. How sad you are. Here’s a thought... why not stop hurdling insults at people, who don’t care what the hell you think or what you have supposedly accomplished in the ten years that YOU, “THE FEW,”have been no where around, and try to make your points intellectually rather than ridiculing people. You know, I really don’t like going head to head with people like you on this nice little forum, where most people respect each other’s ideas and opinions , but in your case... I’m going to make an exception. I’ll gladly exchange insults with you whenever you have the desire to do so, but let’s take it off the forum and use the Private Messenger. There you can challenge me and my opinions and create all the bullshit you have become known for creating . It’s just that no one will have to endure it or be bothered with it. So whaddya think Zu , you wanna take some shots at me go ahead , give it your best. My PM is
B-Man2 .

100% stick to my words- and as far as I read it I haven't really attacked anyone- just argued! I absolutely don't care what people think of me and am definitely not afraid of people on jacket forums! I'm not a troll- I'm Jeff Thurston from California! I definitely am not going to insult you now- I never did- just called it as I sees it! Maybe you should take a look why arguing about jackets on the internet makes the veins in your head pop out. Take a look at your logic- you are mad- on an internet forum about jackets- at someone who critiques jackets and likes to discuss things about them! I stick to my guns- guys like me helped you guys now get the cool shit you have now! Don't know about Goldsmiths- don't care- I just care about how these A-2 jackets look. Oh yes- "I'm coming for you" :rolleyes:Grow up!

B-Man2

100% stick to my words- and as far as I read it I haven't really attacked anyone- just argued! I absolutely don't care what people think of me and am definitely not afraid of people on jacket forums! I'm not a troll- I'm Jeff Thurston from California! I definitely am not going to insult you now- I never did- just called it as I sees it! Maybe you should take a look why arguing about jackets on the internet makes the veins in your head pop out. Take a look at your logic- you are mad- on an internet forum about jackets- at someone who critiques jackets and likes to discuss things about them! I stick to my guns- guys like me helped you guys now get the cool shit you have now! Don't know about Goldsmiths- don't care- I just care about how these A-2 jackets look. Grow up!
Just the response I expected .........Jeff

B-Man2

“ I’m coming for you” ?
When you place something in quotes, make sure you can back up your statements , Jeff Thurston from California. No where in my posting did I ever say anything like that, Just more of your BS Jeff??

Smithy

Don't argue with me unless you read my posts!

HAHA! Don't be such a pompous tit, I'll argue with who I want to.

Especially don't patronize me with "...I don't know how much military equipment...' type statements. I'm sure you've handled your share of military "equipment" ;) !

I mention wartime military equipment because I work with it so I know one or two things about it.

I can tell you that United States military clothing from the WW2 era was probably the best made stuff ever.

I'd disagree with that statement too. I'd argue that early and mid war German "stuff" was superior from a quality and technological standpoint for the most part. Hey, but then again you did say you're an expert.

Micawber

Gentlemen, clearly we have been fortunate enough to witness the recent return of the VLJ Messiah.

All hail Jeff, for surely, after 10 years in the wilderness, he has been chosen to walk amongst us in order to provide the answers to everything A2, both original issue and reproduction.

This Limey is truly humbled.

;)

ZuZu

“ I’m coming for you” ?
When you place something in quotes, make sure you can back up your statements , Jeff Thurston from California. No where in my posting did I ever say anything like that, Just more of your BS Jeff??

You wrote that you "...knew I'd be coming after you..."! I have no idea who you are. I can see however that as Lee Marvin said in Dirty Dozen- "...you are QUITE emotional!..."

ZuZu

HAHA! Don't be such a pompous tit, I'll argue with who I want to.

I mention wartime military equipment because I work with it so I know one or two things about it.

I'd disagree with that statement too. I'd argue that early and mid war German "stuff" was superior from a quality and technological standpoint for the most part. Hey, but then again you did say you're an expert.

Well thanks for that! A calm rational argument! Sad however you didn't get the double entendre...

B-Man2

You wrote that you "...knew I'd be coming after you..."! I have no idea who you are. I can see however that as Lee Marvin said in Dirty Dozen- "...you are QUITE emotional!..."
Our time together is over Jeff Thurston from California. I no longer have any time to waste on you. I have moved on. You should do the same.

Smithy

Well thanks for that! A calm rational argument! ad however you didn't get the double entendre...

Oh I got it, I'm just not easily impressed.

I'm as calm as a millpond, the only one seeming to be getting a bit hysterical is you.